How They Act 2016-03-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

How They Act 2016-03-28

Post by AmriloJim »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/how-they-act/
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." ~~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
Well paraphrased, 'Sali.
jwhouk

Re: How They Act 2016-03-28

Post by jwhouk »

Horns appear to be the stigmata in the paranormal universe.

And methinks this might be a step or five towards finding out what may have been Thana's issue(s).
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Our little Siren/Succubus is wise beyond her years. :mrgreen: They grow up so fast in the orphanage. :?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Those two seem to be in a race to see which one can be wiser beyond their years. I think pickle is ahead on points but Stali is closing fast
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Opus the Poet wrote:Our little Siren/Succubus is wise beyond her years. :mrgreen: They grow up so fast in the orphanage. :?
So is the little stinkweed on some issues....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

oldmanmickey wrote:Those two seem to be in a race to see which one can be wiser beyond their years. I think pickle is ahead on points but Stali is closing fast
Well, it's harder for Atsali - she has about three times as many years to be wise beyond. :P
sheik

Post by sheik »

On the subject of horns, as I recall they also refer to supernatural wisdom. There is one statue of Moses that depicts him with horns.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

sheik wrote:On the subject of horns, as I recall they also refer to supernatural wisdom. There is one statue of Moses that depicts him with horns.
I thought that had something to do with "cuckold"
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

jwhouk wrote:Horns appear to be the stigmata in the paranormal universe.

And methinks this might be a step or five towards finding out what may have been Thana's issue(s).
"Stigma", not "stigmata", ja? Pretty sure none of them have bleed from the horns so far.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Regardless, some paras still consider horns to be bad when visible.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:Regardless, some paras still consider horns to be bad when visible.
...or embarrassing.

Remember when Atsali met the satyr guy?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:
sheik wrote:On the subject of horns, as I recall they also refer to supernatural wisdom. There is one statue of Moses that depicts him with horns.
Yeah, "to wear the horns" became a really common expression for being a cuckold. Molière, Shakespeare, Marlowe. . .they all made use of the phrase. It went out of popular vogue a good while back, though.

Michelangelo's statue of Moses is pretty famous for its horns, and there are a number of similar images of the guy with horns, but that's all based on Jerome's translation of the Old Testament into Latin. He chose to translate the Hebrew word describing Moses' appearance as "horned". He didn't mean literal horns, but rather that Moses was "glorificata erat", or "made glorified". Horns are often used as a symbol of glory, majesty, strength, and so on in Judeo-Christian tradition (such as in the books of Daniel, Lamentations, Deuteronomy, and so on). That seems to be a typical use of horns as symbols; I know that the Egyptians and Ashanti used them the same way.

In Norse pagan tradition, you do have Odin's three drinking horns as a symbol of wisdom and poetic ability. Perhaps poetic ability will help Atsali with her writing career. Or you can go with Mesopotamian traditions, where horn symbols are connected with fertility. . .something that Atsali and Nadette might want to consider.

Then there are the Hattians, who seem to have been obsessed with horns but nobody can seem to agree on just what their whole deal with them was.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Catawampus wrote:
Then there are the Hattians, who seem to have been obsessed with horns but nobody can seem to agree on just what their whole deal with them was.
It's because of their penchance for wearing head coverings...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:Then there are the Hattians, who seem to have been obsessed with horns but nobody can seem to agree on just what their whole deal with them was.
It's because of their penchance for wearing head coverings...
They're Jaegers?

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Catawampus wrote:Then there are the Hattians, who seem to have been obsessed with horns but nobody can seem to agree on just what their whole deal with them was.
It's because of their penchant for wearing head coverings...
They're Jaegers?
No. They were an offshoot of the Shattnerite people, believed to have fled from their homeland as a result of persecution. Leading theories say that the neighboring tribes objected to their hairstyles. Some historians believe it was due to their singing. No one is really certain these days.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:
Yeah, "to wear the horns" became a really common expression for being a cuckold. Molière, Shakespeare, Marlowe. . .they all made use of the phrase. It went out of popular vogue a good while back, though.
In English.

Still popular in Italian (or was forty-odd years ago, and i'd bet still is) - "cornuto", the horned one.

In Spanish, it's "cabron" - goat.

Both more macho societies than ours; it's no coincidence that, in Italain, the same verb - "sorpasere" - means both "to pass on the highway" and "to be better/more masculine".
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:No. They were an offshoot of the Shattnerite people, believed to have fled from their homeland as a result of persecution. Leading theories say that the neighboring tribes objected to their hairstyles. Some historians believe it was due to their singing. No one is really certain these days.
groan... it hurts...