Extracurricular activities for Atsali

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

NOTDilbert

Extracurricular activities for Atsali

Post by NOTDilbert »

What extracurricular activities should Atsali sign up for? Consider her strengths and weaknesses...compare, contrast, and discuss.

Cheerleader: Probably not - she loves music and dance, but is painfully shy about her appearance (and how she's perceived).
Glee Club/Choir: Possibly better - if she's worried about the effect of her voice, blending it with others should dampen the Siren effect.
Book Club: Well, duh.
Drama Club: Again, probably not - putting herself on-stage at this point is still too much for her, but she might like researching period costumes and sets.
Student Body Politics: She might instantly get all the boys' votes, but not win anything from the girls. Any Speechifying she did would still bother her over the Siren Voice effect.
Debate Club/College Bowl: This shows promise - she's smart and opinionated, with less public exposure, and she would learn to argue a point with other than" Uh Huhh!" and Uh 'Uhh!"
Chess Club: Already smart, she would build her logic skills, if she can live through the snide remarks about "ChesT Club".

Compare, contrast, object, discuss...... :geek:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Re: Extracurricular activities for Atsali

Post by Jabberwonky »

Her sister might give her a nudge into the Botany club...and for obvious reasons the Aviation club
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Considering her recent attachment to a huge high-tech data storage system, she may be particularly well suited for the Computer Club.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:Considering her recent attachment to a huge high-tech data storage system, she may be particularly well suited for the Computer Club.
ya' know... we never did get an explanation, or even a pseudo-reasonable guess for what happened to Atsali as she went through the portal... yes we figure that The Library siphoned out all the "extra" info, no problem there, and we know that was the end result from the Library's point of view, but nothing about the same thing from HER point of view... does she REMEMBER any of it?, i mean is she going through PTSD right now from remembering that she wanted to skin herself alive?... heck, does she even remember WANTING to do that, or did the Library take that out as well and left "just" her PRE-computer-upload memories so she now has a few minutes "blank spot" in her memories?... i'm not sure of that, only because of when she was over the shoulder of Katherine and getting bounced around she "knew" that "it's all gone", so she had to remember "something" was there, for her to say that "it's gone", right??... or, could the Library sort of mentally scabbed-over the memories so that the urgent need-to-do-something-NOW feelings were muted, or faded as if by the passage of time and it's "just" a memory now (a bad memory, true, but 'just' a memory now, no urge to do anything). i think it could be something like if a close relative of yours recently died... right when it happens it REALLY hurts, but as the years go by, the pain lessens and as even more time goes by, even that fades out to just a memory of something that happened a long time ago and doesn't really hurt anymore... only the Library did it "instantly" instead of her having to go thru the intervening years living in agony, under constant suicide-watch, therapy, etc... will we ever know? do we even really care about old arcs versus the current ongoing plot arcs? will it have any bearing on future arcs?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:will it have any bearing on future arcs?
Well, if there is ever an arc which requires a character to say "I need to know how to fly a helicopter", and Kath isn't available, we know that the Library is probably capable of providing the necessary skill in lickety-quick time.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Actually, you had to catch it quick: Remember how the Nu Gui (as SDBO) commented was: "The only thing she ever put near gates were unused data crystals"? Well, there was a reason for it, beyond the Nu Gui getting put into her own Read-Only crystal: Brandi (herself) had "all the gates buffered with crystals." Lily caught on what that meant: "I don't think that was just to trap that evil bitchasaurus." Following that, she commented that Brandi was a better chess player than "the so-called chessmaster". The "extra crystals" were made to remove the Eteteitians who might have "moved in" to the mind of one of the six women.

In short: the extra "info" was stored into crystals in the network. And, whatever was left was, indeed, siphoned off by the Library.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:Her sister might give her a nudge into the Botany club...and for obvious reasons the Aviation club
Yep - and since this is a paranormal school, Pickle is a perfect example of para-botany. Also, there's bound to be other flyers in her school (and all(?) the others in the country and the world) - paranormal track and (air)field?

I pretty much stuck with mundane club equivalents - What para-clubs might this school have?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Transformers Society: Taking the art of transforming to human form to a new level (things like "partial transformations" or "weird hair color" or something of that effect).
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:Transformers Society: Taking the art of transforming to human form to a new level (things like "partial transformations" or "weird hair color" or something of that effect).
Similar to the debate club, a member is on stage and a card pulled at random with what to transform into. "Caucasian Male, Late 30's, Thinning brown hair" to "Asian Female, Early Teens, Facial Jewlery and Rainbow Hair" sort of thing.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Her sister might give her a nudge into the Botany club...and for obvious reasons the Aviation club
Yep - and since this is a paranormal school, Pickle is a perfect example of para-botany. Also, there's bound to be other flyers in her school (and all(?) the others in the country and the world) - paranormal track and (air)field?

I pretty much stuck with mundane club equivalents - What para-clubs might this school have?
I can so see the flyers playing something like Quiddich or just a sort of flying Lacrosse. With or without school approval...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Indoor Quidditch. They can play it in the Fieldhouse. (This brings up a completely different issue: Where would you think the Paranormal HS is located?)

Mythology Club: An entire club devoted to the storytelling around parents, and what was and wasn't true about the human-based myths.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I can see an actual class on how humans got mythology wrong. They'd call it Social Studies.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:

I can so see the flyers playing something like Quiddich or just a sort of flying Lacrosse. With or without school approval...
Yes - but like Quiddich (or the entire castle of Hogwarts) it would have to be completely out of casual human sight - hard to do in an urban area, easier in the country - but a longer bus ride every day.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...So you're saying the school's in Iowa? ;)

(Sorry, had to go there.)
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Transformers Society: Taking the art of transforming to human form to a new level (things like "partial transformations" or "weird hair color" or something of that effect).
Similar to the debate club, a member is on stage and a card pulled at random with what to transform into. "Caucasian Male, Late 30's, Thinning brown hair" to "Asian Female, Early Teens, Facial Jewlery and Rainbow Hair" sort of thing.
A very different sort of Audio/Visual Club, then. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:...Where would you think the Paranormal HS is located?...
It's probably a closed-campus style private school out in one of the smaller suburbs of the Twin Cities. At least, that's what the cover would be. In reality, it's a public school that's kept hidden by the MIB.

It wouldn't be too difficult to pass it off as some super-fancy school. Give it some snazzy architecture (never underestimate the power of hiding in plain sight), a pretentious sounding name that gets fake Google results, and some hedges out front to hide the little kids who can't disguise themselves completely.

MIB will mask the financial issues (why are the parents only paying public-school prices for this weird, snobby private school? And etc.) somehow... Probably by telling the IRS that they'll help then with some Cayman Island accounts if they will ignore the weird school...(a favor from the MIB is probably worth about as much as a mid-sized country)

From what I know, private schools get all kinds of wiggle room in the education system.

And this is all coming from a half-asleep student who isn't putting all that much effort into this thought process. Can you imagine what a whole government agency (read: group of professional liars) could whip up?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Miss Oduya's School for Exceptional Students?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Mayahuel School for the Exceptionally Gifted?

"But they don't have a hockey team? What kind of a Gifted School in Minnesota doesn't have a hockey team?"

"Their last goalie ate a member of the opposing team."

"Oh."
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Judging by what we've seen courtesy of Pickle's video, if Atsali DID go cheerleader, she could be the next Paula Abdul (Lakers Edition, before she caught The Dumb).