Lock The Doors 2013-10-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Lock The Doors 2013-10-21

Post by jwhouk »

Oh. So Suzi knows Monica from way back. That's a good starting point.... I think...

It does beg the question: Why didn't Monica recognize her?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Boxilar

Re: Lock The Doors 2013-10-21

Post by Boxilar »

First, Monica may not have seen her. Not to put to fine a point on it, but M would have been strapped face down on the bed when McBride snached her attacker away to eat him. To Monica, there would have been a blur of motion and a strangled cry, then, nothing.

I wonder if Suzi even connects the Fifteen year old mental patient with the Jaguar Girl Demigoddess she knows and is in awe of now.

As said in the previous thread, this puts a lot of Monica's past behavior in a new light.

Like the fact that she resented her parents locking her away in a mental instution and her fear of going back to one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And it would explain why Mon doesn't talk to her parents much.

And why she hates being thought of as "crazy".
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Oh. So Suzi knows Monica from way back. That's a good starting point.... I think...

More to the point: Why didn't Suzi recognise Monica?

This explains a bit more about Monica's treatment of the tar.

Also - minor quibble - "strait" jacket (as in "tight" or "narrow") rather than "straight" jacket.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:And it would explain why Mon doesn't talk to her parents much.
I don't think we have evidence of that - of course, are her parents still alive?
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Oh, yeah - YAY, Suzi!
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

McBride prayed on the worst types. There is nothing here to indicate she actually went into the room to rescue Monica. In fact the guy had already tied her up and left here so he was not in the room when he died. McBride probably took him out when he went out for a smoke afterwards. Whether she did it because of who he was, or because she had orders is something we can only guess at. Trying to link the two directly right now cannot be done. Monica has know idea who saved her. I suspect the image we see is the person who checked on the patients before lights out, who was McBride. If so why would McBride tell her anything.

If fact it is good odds McBride was told to rescue Monica. By that time Monica was already trained as the glyph reader and someone protected her. Likely candidate is Jin.

Sadly these events do happen despite efforts to prevent it. Too many of these place can become warehouses who try to keep costs down and these types slip through the cracks. They happen for other reasons as well. Now we find out how much consoling Monica received afterwards. That is what helps her to understand and aid Jet.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Boxilar wrote:As said in the previous thread, this puts a lot of Monica's past behavior in a new light.

Like the fact that she resented her parents locking her away in a mental instution and her fear of going back to one.
Yes. It seems that Georgette isn't the only one who has been keeping a terribly traumatic experience "under wraps", hidden away from everyone close to her.

I thought this arc was all about "Monica heals Georgette". It looks as if it's even more than that... this mystical sharing-of-experience could be the opportunity for both of them to reveal and heal their own traumas of being violated.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I had a sneaking suspicion Monica's time in the mental institution was the source for her admission she'd been raped. I get the feeling that she buried it so deeply that she didn't remember McBride... and is probably only now making the connection. I knew it was probably bad which caused Monica to bury it so deeply she'd nearly forgotten about it... I just had no idea it was that bad.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Oh. So Suzi knows Monica from way back. That's a good starting point.... I think...

More to the point: Why didn't Suzi recognise Monica?

This explains a bit more about Monica's treatment of the tar.

Also - minor quibble - "strait" jacket (as in "tight" or "narrow") rather than "straight" jacket.
To McBride, the Monica she saw then was a helpless 15 year old human victim who she probably never got a good look at. Contrast that with this, and you can see where Suzi might not realize they are the same person.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Let the circle be unbroken.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Dismembered, blood drained, and smashed. Certainly sounds like something Suzi would do.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:
Boxilar wrote:As said in the previous thread, this puts a lot of Monica's past behavior in a new light.

Yes. It seems that Georgette isn't the only one who has been keeping a terribly traumatic experience "under wraps", hidden away from everyone close to her.

I thought this arc was all about "Monica heals Georgette". It looks as if it's even more than that... this mystical sharing-of-experience could be the opportunity for both of them to reveal and heal their own traumas of being violated.
Monica has healed herself, probably with help. It is very hard to make such an admission without coming to terms with it. Some people bury and never talk about it, even to other victims. Where and how she got the help we do not know, but she did. The way Monica discusses it is clinical and it is to show Jet she does understand and that what she is saying is not just words. That is almost impossible for someone who has not come to terms with it and dealt with it.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Fairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And it would explain why Mon doesn't talk to her parents much.
I don't think we have evidence of that - of course, are her parents still alive?
WOG. (Or, in our case, WOP - no derogatory meaning towards anyone.) Paul has stated previously that her parents are still alive; it was asked at one point, I believe, in the old BLC forums.

I would expect that Monica may have gotten counseling immediately regarding this, because when they found dismembered/drained rapist remains, they probably realized he'd been doing it to several of the inmates.

Monica's stay may have been terminated shortly thereafter - as much as I know about how MH facilities run, they probably placated the guardians of the various "patients" by letting the more-stable ones go to private facilities.

What's interesting is: if she spent her 15th B-day there, that was relatively recently... like, about the same time Jet was getting raped.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Atomic wrote:Let the circle be unbroken.
In a way it is unbroken. The victim becomes the rapist. Not that Monica has gone around raping others (except maybe her BF, but he loves it). Just that she did rape Tar before killing it. Of course one can come up with all sorts of justifications for doing that to it, but she still did rape, justified or not, continuing the circle. Not to mention now being officially a killer, joining the ranks of the other killer/executioner/murderer type supernaturals (titans, sphinxes, gorgons, golems, vampires, whatever). So far, only Nudge and Tina don't seem to be the killer type. But then we don't know all about them yet. Sweet little Monica is gone forever. There is no going back. In her case, unlike Justin, even blowing out her brains will not give her any relief from past memories or actions.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

If you go back to the first year's strips you can sort of see her friends as presented there as an ad hock support group. She's also shown as being much more reclusive and withdrawn in her attitudes and the first years are devoted to her being forced out of her shell as it were.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I guess we can say that Suzi has been doing "community Service" for quite a long while.
This also fits what I have been thinking all weekend of where this bombshell was going. It is not unheard of for a facility to have the occasional animal slip through the cracks, especially the underfunded ones (I wonder if the facility was in the US or Mexico (it makes a big difference about 20 years ago)). I wonder if her parents managed to sue the facility and then use the settlement to fund Mionica's college years. As to Suzi not recognizing her, Monica did not look like she does now when she was 15. I can't find them but the early strips show us M and Amanda in High school and she was a typical awkward nerd teen.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

"So, how did he die?"

"Well, they found his dismembered jaw on the roof, and his blood-drained body was found smashed on the sidewalk out by the front entrance."

"My God...."

"Yup. Cause of death: Complications from a bout of influenza."

Because, what ELSE are they gonna put in the records......?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:Dismembered, blood drained, and smashed. Certainly sounds like something Suzi would do.
Doesn't sound like she was hungry, because she usually does this -- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/let-him-go/

Probably caught up with him on the roof, ripped his jam off so he couldn't scream for help, drained him, and then tossed the body over the side.

Question -- Do vampires actually fly, just make big jumps, or maybe are just very good climbers because of their strength?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Sheesh. I always was suspicious of that cut-off "numerous invasive", and I was about to mention it when I was linking to that very page last week, but ...

... as late as yesterday, I figured that reading would be in bad taste ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!