Another reason Windows 8 sucks dead moose thru a bendy straw

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Another reason Windows 8 sucks dead moose thru a bendy straw

Post by Fairportfan »

Windows 8 Breaks Rescue Disks
PCPitstop.com wrote:Removing computer viruses ranges between painfully frustrating to impossible, and an external rescue or boot disk is frequently required to clean viruses that are resisting removal.

In fact, the practice of cleaning an infected device from an independent, external, known clean device is recommended by government cyber security departments and computer security leaders around the world.

Windows 8 PCs contain a new technology called Secure Boot that only boots devices that have been verified by Microsoft. Many popular rescue disks won’t boot on PCs that ship with Windows 8 without modification to the BIOS (called UEFI on Windows 8 PCs) system firmware. Even Microsoft’s own Windows Defender Offline won’t boot.

PC manufacturers must include a technology called Secure Boot in order to ship PCs with Windows 8. Secure Boot uses a public-key infrastructure to verify the integrity of the operating system and prevent unauthorized programs such as bootkits from infecting the device. One consequence of Secure Boot is bootable removable media (rescue disks, Live CDs, Live USBs) will no longer work on PCs that ship with Windows 8 unless they’re upgraded to include the necessary signed components. So far it looks like only our friends at FixMeStick have upgraded.

We’ll keep you up to date as more rescue disks support this new Secure Boot architecture and please let us know if you know of any that do already.
{emphasis added}
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Re: Another reason Windows 8 sucks dead moose thru a bendy s

Post by jwhouk »

Aaaaand yet another reason why I'm sticking with 7.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
ShneekeyTheLost

Re: Another reason Windows 8 sucks dead moose thru a bendy s

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

As if the GUI wasn't bad enough...

Makes me glad I just made the switch... from Ubuntu 13.04 to Mint 15. Nice, clean, elegant GUI that stays the hell out of my way and lets me get things done. No fuss, no muss, no flash-driven windows flying themselves in front of me while trying to accomplish mundane things.

Sure, I realize Mint is pretty much Ubuntu with a different wrapper, but it's a wrapper which allows me to work unimpeded by the operating system, something which Ubuntu's Unity no longer qualifies as, and Windows hasn't since XP. Well, to be perfectly honest, since 3.x, but that's mostly because I dislike the idea of having to run DosBox just to get a C Prompt.