In A Side Cup 2016-06-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: In A Side Cup 2016-06-08

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote:Phix can do a pretty good job of it, after all. Monica's boss was smitten instantly. And, unbeknownst to him, had sex with a very powerful sphinx ... and lived. Not so much as an earlobe bitten off in the heat of passion. Probably really enjoyed it even. To have had that distinction and never know it would be a bummer though.
Not sure they actually Did It.

There was some implication/speculation that Phix was yanking Monica's chain by implying what didn't necessarily occur.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:There was some implication/speculation that Phix was yanking Monica's chain by implying what didn't necessarily occur.
You're saying Phix was being coy, with a decoy boy toy?

Oi.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Vei.
AnotherFairportfan

Schlemiels.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Graybeard wrote:Speaking of which, wonder how Alan and Jin are doing?
Didn't you hear? She got pregnant, and had her baby in their Toyota Corrola, by the side of the road (in a ditch, actually), and poited to safety, when a bear was attracted to the scent of blood. He made short work of the rear seat... And a mixup involving unrelated persons got an amber alert started, with them as prime suspects... ;)
(I looked for the fanfic, but can's seem to find it...)
Here.

--FreeFlier
Thanks. I looked through the list of thread names in the fanfiction sub-forum, but since I couldn't remember the name, I went right over it without registering that that was the one.

Incidentally, I am now reading it again (as if I didn't have anything else to do... :P )
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

chicgeek wrote: Being strong doesn't mean you can't be feminine, if that's something you want to be.
Maybe in the fantasy world of Wapsi Square and other comics. Or the feminist ideal. In the real world, I find men aren't fond of muscular women other than as a diversion. Taking on something different. Not as a lasting relationship. Such a woman can be as feminine as she wants, but it doesn't mean she will really be perceived as being feminine by someone else, man or woman.

In this case, Justin is ideal for Shelly, and I don't think he cares about her feminine qualities as much as she does. She has a few left and that's good enough for him.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Schlemiels.
Schlemazel!...

Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

There is my ex-wife (A) & then there is 'the one who got away' (B); by that I mean I was stupid enough to let her slip through my fingers.
(You actually have No Idea ,the depths of my stupidity concerning certain events and situations...)

This icon of multi-faceted loveliness was also the gal who, as an example, did her own oil changes;

"But babe, I'm supposed to be the one doing your oil changes...".

Wouldn't budge, never made a fuss, just wouldn't let me do it either. (I'm the guy who drops hi-performance VW motors in early, lightweight chassis on the regular...).

Nope, just wouldn't happen.

My perfect gal has to have a high tomboy quotient, thats just how it is...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Graybeard wrote:Speaking of which, wonder how Alan and Jin are doing?
lake_wrangler wrote:Didn't you hear? She got pregnant, and had her baby in their Toyota Corrola, by the side of the road (in a ditch, actually), and poited to safety, when a bear was attracted to the scent of blood. He made short work of the rear seat... And a mixup involving unrelated persons got an amber alert started, with them as prime suspects... ;)
(I looked for the fanfic, but can's seem to find it...)
FreeFlier wrote:Here.
lake_wrangler wrote:Thanks. I looked through the list of thread names in the fanfiction sub-forum, but since I couldn't remember the name, I went right over it without registering that that was the one.

Incidentally, I am now reading it again (as if I didn't have anything else to do... :P )
You are welcome . . . My search-fu is strong, as long as I have a hook to start with.

In this case, bear and then subsearch baby.

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I call it Google-Fu. It is one of the main pools of power from which I draw my technological expertise. The other main one being this forum, down in the Pub. :P

And one of the best auxiliary skills to have along with strong Google-Fu is to have a "Mental Encyclopedia of Useless Shit." I only personally know two people with more extensive and broad MEoUS than my own... One is over twice my age and travels a lot, and the other is about 3.5x as old as I am.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:You are welcome . . . My search-fu is strong, as long as I have a hook to start with.

--FreeFlier
Actually, I did that very search, in the advanced search of the forum, specifying the fanfiction sub-forum, but it returned so many results, I gave up after the third or fourth page...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:You are welcome . . . My search-fu is strong, as long as I have a hook to start with.

Actually, I did that very search, in the advanced search of the forum, specifying the fanfiction sub-forum, but it returned so many results, I gave up after the third or fourth page...
Odd . . . It was the first result I got, without specifying subforum.

--FreeFlier
Tarrow

Post by Tarrow »

KnightDelight wrote:He failed to mention that little quirk about her killing and eating sentient beings (other sphinxes) who cross her.
Now that's a fairly interesting one...

Let me address your observation with a question if you would. Of Shelly and Justin, whos actions fall into more of a moral grey area in human terms? The sphinx who in a face-to-face fight with a member of her own species (who will be fighting to kill) will fight to the death, or the regenerating titan who as part of their "I'm a normal person" cover is following a career that may require him to use lethal force again sentient beings that cannot cause him permanent harm or injury.

Might give an indication of why he left that part of her behavior out ;)
Last edited by Tarrow on Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Tarrow wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:He failed to mention that little quirk about her killing and eating sentient beings (other sphinxes) who cross her.
Now that's a fairly interesting one...

Let me address your observation would be with a question if you would. Of Shelly and Justin, whos actions fall into more of a moral grey area in human terms? The sphinx who in a face-to-face fight with a member of her own species (who will be fighting to kill) will fight to the death, or the regenerating titan who as part of their "I'm a normal person" cover is following a career that may require him to use lethal force again sentient beings that cannot cause him permanent harm or injury.

...woah. I... I never thought of it like that before. Yer blowin' mah mind, man... Oh, jeeze, I gotta go ponder that a while just to wrap my head around it...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
chicgeek wrote: Being strong doesn't mean you can't be feminine, if that's something you want to be.
Maybe in the fantasy world of Wapsi Square and other comics. Or the feminist ideal. In the real world, I find men aren't fond of muscular women other than as a diversion. Taking on something different. Not as a lasting relationship. Such a woman can be as feminine as she wants, but it doesn't mean she will really be perceived as being feminine by someone else, man or woman.

In this case, Justin is ideal for Shelly, and I don't think he cares about her feminine qualities as much as she does. She has a few left and that's good enough for him.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. I don't really care if a woman is feminine or not. If there's a connection, and I enjoy being around her, I'd want to be with her.

Though, getting her interested in me is a different question altogether...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Anyone who says "This is what {group} want", unless it's part of the definition of the group or a really trivial case, should be presumed to be wrong.

Now if they say "most {group}", then it takes more evaluation.

(As a specific example, I know some "Trump supporters" who think that Trump will be a really lousy President and can name a dozen or more people they'd prefer to see become President... unfortunately none of those other people are in the race. So it isn't even true that "Trump supporters" really want Trump to become President.)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Tarrow wrote:Of Shelly and Justin, whos actions fall into more of a moral grey area in human terms? The sphinx who in a face-to-face fight with a member of her own species (who will be fighting to kill) will fight to the death, or the regenerating titan who as part of their "I'm a normal person" cover is following a career that may require him to use lethal force again sentient beings that cannot cause him permanent harm or injury.

Though it could be argued that Justin's choice of career actually saves the lives of violent criminals. The police are supposed to only use lethal force when their lives or the lives of others are clearly under immediate threat. Justin's life is never in danger, however, so he can try to find other ways to subdue the bad guys alive when other officers would be left with opening fire as the only reasonable option.
AnotherFairportfan

Catawampus wrote:
Tarrow wrote:Of Shelly and Justin, whos actions fall into more of a moral grey area in human terms? The sphinx who in a face-to-face fight with a member of her own species (who will be fighting to kill) will fight to the death, or the regenerating titan who as part of their "I'm a normal person" cover is following a career that may require him to use lethal force again sentient beings that cannot cause him permanent harm or injury.

Though it could be argued that Justin's choice of career actually saves the lives of violent criminals. The police are supposed to only use lethal force when their lives or the lives of others are clearly under immediate threat. Justin's life is never in danger, however, so he can try to find other ways to subdue the bad guys alive when other officers would be left with opening fire as the only reasonable option.
Reminds me of a cop in another series who isn't aware that he's not human until the day an organised crime hitman shoots him twice in the chest - he goes down, but sits right back up and shoots the guy.

He mentions that the guy's last words were "That's not FAIR..."
Tarrow

Post by Tarrow »

Catawampus wrote: Though it could be argued that Justin's choice of career actually saves the lives of violent criminals. The police are supposed to only use lethal force when their lives or the lives of others are clearly under immediate threat. Justin's life is never in danger, however, so he can try to find other ways to subdue the bad guys alive when other officers would be left with opening fire as the only reasonable option.
A more than fair point :)
Certainly can't see an issue with any aspect of the use of lethal force in the defense of others aspect. Though I suppose to make the best of wider range of other options he'd have available, he'd have to be working with people who know what he's capable of. And would probably need MIB on speed-dial to occasionally keep the details of how he managed not to kill someone out of the news :lol:

In my defense I'd just rewatched Robocop (the original one) and for some random reason found myself thinking about the boundaries of reasonable force when you're virtually unkillable. But "stand there until they run out of ammo, then chase until they collapse of exhaustion" would make for such a dull movie.
AnotherFairportfan

At least until he met Shelly, Justin (while he knew about his healing) was unaware he was a Titan.

I don't think Paul's ever said that Shelly or Phix or whoever has told him yet.