Not Make Holes 2016-05-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Not Make Holes 2016-05-26

Post by jwhouk »

FreeFlier wrote:I finally realized something that's bothering me: Atsali commented that her mom told her that she (mom) knew Atsali's father was the one when he was immune to her singing . . . if Atsali is a toddler when her mother died, why would her mother have been discussing that with Atsali, and how would Atsali remember it?

--FreeFlier
Letters to grandma/best friend?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

jwhouk wrote:Letters to grandma/best friend?
Or an "in case I'm gone" packet to be delivered when 'Sali reached a certain age.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Perhaps best man/maid of honor at their wedding? Of which Cassi may be one, and the beard stubble guy from Friday may be the other?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote:. . . if Atsali is a toddler when her mother died, why would her mother have been discussing that with Atsali. . .
Why wouldn't she? It seems to me like a perfectly normal (relatively speaking) and harmless thing for her to have told her daughter.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote:I finally realized something that's bothering me: Atsali commented that her mom told her that she (mom) knew Atsali's father was the one when he was immune to her singing . . . if Atsali is a toddler when her mother died, why would her mother have been discussing that with Atsali, and how would Atsali remember it?

--FreeFlier
Ghost?

Remembering things that never happened?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:

--FreeFlier
Ghost?

Remembering things that never happened?
Not exactly canon, but Monica doesn't believe in ghosts...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Catawampus wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:. . . if Atsali is a toddler when her mother died, why would her mother have been discussing that with Atsali. . .
Why wouldn't she? It seems to me like a perfectly normal (relatively speaking) and harmless thing for her to have told her daughter.
It's not the sort of thing most kids that age have any interest in, and wouldn't remember even if they did hear it.

I suppose Leucoisa could have kept a journal or diary that Atsali inherited.

--FreeFlier
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

"Mom, why do we have to move?"
"Because Komatsu needs your dad to move somewhere."
"Why do we have to move?"
"Because we are a family."
I pondered that for a while. "Why?"
"Because we love each other."
"Why do you love dad?"
(At that point my mom started floundering, but Leucosia could have quite easily said "Because my song doesn't work on him.")

I imagine there are many ways a toddler's "why's and how's" could lead to asking about the reasons and workings of the love between said toddler's parents.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
illiad

Post by illiad »

GlytchMeister wrote:"Mom, why do we have to move?"
"Because Komatsu needs your dad to move somewhere."
"Why do we have to move?"
"Because we are a family."
I pondered that for a while. "Why?"
"Because we love each other."
"Why do you love dad?"
(At that point my mom started floundering, but Leucosia could have quite easily said "Because my song doesn't work on him.")

I imagine there are many ways a toddler's "why's and how's" could lead to asking about the reasons and workings of the love between said toddler's parents.
y'mean you dont know??? :p :o
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

sheik wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Though i'm sure this won't go anywhere near there, i have an image of a child with a thousand-yard stare, mumbling over and over, "Naughty girl ... must be punished ..."

I actually saw her- would have been June 1983, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. Cigarette burns, broken left arm, dislocated right hip, blouse right eye, cauliflower ear on the left... treated with PenVK for syphilis, old scars all over the place. 4 years old. One of many I still nightmare about. Would look right through you as if you weren't really there. No interest in reality. Any hand coming towards her would start the screaming. The anesthesia mask would start convulsions just because it was there. Needles meant nothing to her though. She might look at what you were doing, but tended to ignore it.

She had a look that pretty much said "I'm tired of living,"
It's at times like that one is thankful for the Infantile Amnesia phenomenon.
It's due to the natural culling of brain cells and pathways to make brain operation more efficient, and has probably saved the sanity of untold millions, if not billions, in our history.
I only wished that worked. It probably does in neurotypical folks. Wouldn't know, as I don't know any neurotypical folks.
Electroshock therapy is another beautiful one. It messes one up inside, and when the memories come flooding in, they're unsure of the realities. It was supposed to help with traumas and brain issues. Hint: it doesn't work(happened to me).

"Oh, he's young. He won't remember his father walking out on you guys."

Tell that to my boy who screams for him in night terrors every year on the anniversary the jackwagon left. Ten years and counting. My child will turn twelve this Winter. He was 16 months old at the time.

Please tell me where this magical amnesia is, and where the heck I can buy two doses?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hardships forgotten are lessons un-learned.

I would agree Squirt doesn't need that burden on his mind, but take solace in that you are who you are because of all that has happened to you and how you reacted to it.

Removing a part of that would change who you are... And anyone who truly cares about you, cares about all of you. Deleting, removing, killing a part of yourself could... Be a loss.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
illiad

Post by illiad »

DinkyInky wrote:
sheik wrote: It's at times like that one is thankful for the Infantile Amnesia phenomenon.
It's due to the natural culling of brain cells and pathways to make brain operation more efficient, and has probably saved the sanity of untold millions, if not billions, in our history.
I only wished that worked. It probably does in neurotypical folks. Wouldn't know, as I don't know any neurotypical folks.
Electroshock therapy is another beautiful one. It messes one up inside, and when the memories come flooding in, they're unsure of the realities. It was supposed to help with traumas and brain issues. Hint: it doesn't work(happened to me).

Tell that to my boy who screams for him in night terrors every year on the anniversary the jackwagon left. Ten years and counting. My child will turn twelve this Winter. He was 16 months old at the time.

Please tell me where this magical amnesia is, and where the heck I can buy two doses?
OUCH :o ... did you try taking him to therapy or something???
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

illiad wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
sheik wrote: It's at times like that one is thankful for the Infantile Amnesia phenomenon.

OUCH :o ... did you try taking him to therapy or something???
The smegging therapist said he won't remember it. Everyone said he wouldn't. I took him every year to the same doofus so she'd see he remembered. She said, "Just give it time." So when I took him to a new therapist and they cited juvenile amnesia, I walked out.

Yeah, no. I just make sure he has such an extremely high volume of fun and run around until he's too exhausted to dream when that day rolls near.

It's extremely difficult to find one I'd trust for me, let alone my child.

Yeah no. Thank you, but no. We talk about him when asked, I show pictures when asked, then put it all away until the next time.

Until then, I am me.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Many doctors do not handle being wrong very well.

If you find one that will listen, keep him/her.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

If he was the sort to walk out, then he wasn't of a sort worth having around.

God, I hate when people get in relationships and pull crap like that. I just want to grab them and shake them like a dog with a toy. Hopefully to get the same result they get when doing it to a small animal. Or just give them enough brain damage that coloring books and crayons are too sophisticated for them.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
illiad

Post by illiad »

DinkyInky, sending lots of good Karma your way.... :E :D

At least you know how to have fun with him... :)