Bad weather

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Warrl

Re: Bad weather

Post by Warrl »

DinkyInky wrote:This one....gem...always parked his Aston using no less than four spots...usually one was a handicapped. Pretty young spoiled brat, thought girls needed to fall over him. Yes, he tried. No, I pretty much ignored him.
Owner told him to move it, and yes, he'd tell James Bond himself to move it. Guy told him to suck an egg.
Here's a hint. One. Never tell Old man Jack to suck an egg. Two. Icy asphalt...one tiny girl like me could push a car, and I...happened to mention the science of it to him. Three. Most of the baggers were high school football players earning date night funds.
Old man Jack got them to skate that Aston gently(because it wasn't the cars fault her owner was a nozzle) out to the far end of the lot.
He could not complain really, as nobody hurt it, and he avoided a HUGE fine and tow(Winter weather increases fines). He still tried to act all fancy...just took his four spaces out of the middle set instead of the prime spaces. Who says they can't learn? :lol:
Often basically bad TV shows have a few good bits here and there, and if you're lucky, when circumstances inflict the bad show on you you'll happen to catch one of the good bits. Here's one I remember - although I don't remember what show it was from.

"Here's the keys, Dad. Oh, and a headlight got busted."
"A headlight -! I thought I told you to park across four spaces!"
"I did... according to the note the guy left, that's why he took a hammer and busted the headlight."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Black ice is deceptive, because it looks like a clear patch of road - until you're driving over it, and realize the blackness is the road surface showing through the ice.

"If it looks wet, it might be slippery" is the general rule of thumb.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

DinkyInky wrote:This one....gem...always parked his Aston using no less than four spots...usually one was a handicapped.
I think it should be legal to repaint the parking stall lines in cases like this... on the car itself.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

AmriloJim wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:This one....gem...always parked his Aston using no less than four spots...usually one was a handicapped.
I think it should be legal to repaint the parking stall lines in cases like this... on the car itself.
Hey now, it is not the Aston's fault her owner was a rich nozzle.
Skating his car out to bfe methinks was suitable punishment.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:
Hey now, it is not the Aston's fault her owner was a rich nozzle.
Skating his car out to bfe methinks was suitable punishment.
Heh. I'll bet that even with the cold weather, you could smell the adrenalin in his system from the "Oh s*** where is my car?!?" moment, about a quarter mile away. Upwind.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

DinkyInky wrote:Skating his car out to bfe methinks was suitable punishment.
Another fun thing to do is to position the car between two lightposts or bollards or whatever, lift the car, turn it, and then lower it back down so that it has about an inch of clearance in front and behind between the car and the barriers.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Skating his car out to bfe methinks was suitable punishment.
Another fun thing to do is to position the car between two lightposts or bollards or whatever, lift the car, turn it, and then lower it back down so that it has about an inch of clearance in front and behind between the car and the barriers.
Or box it in with very big pickup trucks.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

It. Was. An. Aston. Martin. DB5.

As big a womanizing pompous bloat ego'd jerk as he was, I'd never hurt her. That car was breathtaking.

Pushing it out a hundred metres away from the front of the store so he had to trudge through the slush...yeah, that I could do.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:It. Was. An. Aston. Martin. DB5.
:lol:

Yeah, I see your point. I might have built a snow fort around it if the building materials were available.

Astons are very beautiful cars... It should be a condition of ownership that the prospective buyer must be able to give a respectable critique and interpretation of a work of art before being handed the keys. Same thing for Alfa Romeos.

Yes, I watched Top Gear.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:

Yeah, I see your point. I might have built a snow fort around it if the building materials were available.

Astons are very beautiful cars... It should be a condition of ownership that the prospective buyer must be able to give a respectable critique and interpretation of a work of art before being handed the keys. Same thing for Alfa Romeos.

Yes, I watched Top Gear.
<3<3<3<3<3<3

Add that to 'stangs and t-birds, and I completely agree.

Build an army of snowman wizards..."YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Snowman wizards and, of course, a horde of deranged, mutant, killer, monster snow goons! :lol:
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:Snowman wizards and, of course, a horde of deranged, mutant, killer, monster snow goons! :lol:

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Miss Dinky wrote:It. Was. An. Aston. Martin. DB5.
Y'all were lucky that the security systems weren't turned on to a '00' level...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Miss Dinky wrote:It. Was. An. Aston. Martin. DB5.
Y'all were lucky that the security systems weren't turned on to a '00' level...
He was nothing like Bond, and there ain't a security system that can outfox a pissed off me.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Miss Dinky wrote:He was nothing like Bond, and there ain't a security system that can outfox a pissed off me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

As big a womanizing pompous bloat ego'd jerk as he was, I'd never hurt her. That car was breathtaking.
*nodsnods* What Dinky said! Rule #1- Never EVER hurt an Aston! If I even hear about intentional Aston damage, I will find a way to take it out on your hide. :evil:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

We've been frozen for the last week, which is not common. Usually it stays above freezing.

And I had snow this morning . . . after I decided it wasn't snowing so I'd go to work.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I don't get why everyone is fawning over a luxury car. People buy those to show that they have a lot of money. They don't do anything a much cheaper car won't, aside from maybe go fast.

But then again, all those fancy sports cars with several hundred horsepower? A waste, usually, because where are you gonna use that speed without breaking the law?

Most cars these days have speedometers that go to either 140 or 160 mph, but I don't think I ever heard about any place with a triple digit speed limit.

I see anything considered luxurious, and I immediately think the owner is shallow. People who have a lot of money and then decide to show off are basically saying they're better than anyone with less money.

So a fancy car like that? I wouldn't care if the owner crashed it if I wasn't involved, aside from wondering for a moment of they survived.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

It's not so much the practicality of the machine's ability to reach triple digits as it is art.

Aston Martins are very artistic cars, they look sexy, the feeling of all that power at your fingertips makes your adrenaline glands squirt all over themselves. Lamborghini's look angry, and they drive like they're actually trying to kill you. It's like breaking a horse... Lots of muscle, and it's up to you to keep it under control, or you'll die. The concept of a muscle car or a supercar or a hypercar is artistic from an engineering point of view. It's the beauty of a machine, made by human minds, that can reach tremendous speeds. The Bugatti Veyron has no practical purpose. It's a work of art. It's just as much a work of art as the Curiosity rover or the Space shuttles. It is a testament to the vast genius and ability of the human mind. That we can stretch the bounds of reality to the extent that we have, making a vehicle powered by explosions propel itself relatively safely over land to speeds up to and beyond 200 miles an hour...

It's awe inspiring. It's similar to why the Romans built their grand arches and domes and stadiums, why Brunelleschi made his soaring dome in Firenze... At once a triumph over the limits of nature and a triumph alongside the laws of nature.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

My brother got his BMW for the engineering. They have a rather good safety rating.
He changed his entire lifestyle around to be able to afford it, scrimping and saving, living frugal. It paid off.

Some drunk bozo hit him in the rear end going 90, sending him flying into a field. Not only was he fine, the car sustained less damage than you would think considering, and after a short stay in the body shop, he was driving it again.
Had he gotten a reasonably priced car, he never would have survived. Pretty much verbatim what the officers responding said.
Not only are they gorgeous, they are built very well....in my opinion damn well worth the 55k price tag.

In Europe, there are many places that have triple digit speed limits.
I would assume they were set that way to attract foreign buyers.
Unless they reduced speeds recently, I have travelled a lot of places in the US that have speed limits set at 90mph.

I have driven more than one luxury car in my day...most used. It is more about the engineering and durability...at least for me and most I know...than about being ostentatious.
Most of the cars I drove were high performance sedans. Classified by insurance companies as a luxury car more on what's in it versus what you pay for it...but that is another gripe.

Ask Al, or any mechanic here, which cars can take a beating...not all of them are cheaps.

Ask me. I survived a classified fatal wreck because I had the luxury of a Damn well built car...so did my sister and her friend. The car was completely destroyed except for the engine....took multiple jaws to cut us out of it. We all lived. I will pay pretty much any price for that.

--Safyr Drathmir