Somewhere Quiet 2015-11-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Somewhere Quiet 2015-11-26

Post by jwhouk »

Part of me wonders if this is part of a nightmare scenario for Devyn... she wakes up screaming, only to realize that she's still got a movie date with Atsali for that night.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

Only just now noticed...
The tall blonde guy in the last panel...
Yeah... I'd have trouble looking at Atsali's face too.

At least the other guy is trying!
Dave

Post by Dave »

jayessell wrote:Only just now noticed...

Based on the way the blond guy's head is turned away from Atsali, and on the angle of his eyes, I think he's looking at Devyn.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Dave wrote:Based on the way the blond guy's head is turned away from Atsali, and on the angle of his eyes, I think he's looking at Devyn.
I'll buy that... extend lines from the centers of his eyeballs through the pupils... just high enough not to elicit the "up here!" verbal slap.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:
jayessell wrote:Only just now noticed...

Based on the way the blond guy's head is turned away from Atsali, and on the angle of his eyes, I think he's looking at Devyn.
Yeah, I was wondering about him myself, whether he was looking Devyn in the face or looking at Atsali slightly below the face. And wondering if that question might be taken up in Friday's comic.

The dark haired boy's center of attention is rather obvious, at least. I wonder how many kids suddenly decided that the flight team was the place to be after Atsali joined up?

I was also quite amused by the manic excited expression on the middle cheerleader. Perhaps there's a paranormal who by nature is compelled to be enthusiastic and chant rhymes about anything and everything.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

oldmanmickey wrote:When it comes to snakes i am only afraid of 3 kinds, live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like one. This would be me.
https://youtu.be/oLs1O_dStEo
Well, it's a more understandable fear than that of spiders.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:When it comes to snakes i am only afraid of 3 kinds, live ones, dead ones and sticks that look like one. This would be me.
Just wait until I unleash my flying flock of bat/spider/snake/cow hybrids. . .
Dave

Post by Dave »

You would have hated my favorite bookstore in Santa Monica some years back: A Change of Hobbit. The owner had a large boa constrictor named Wrinklesnakeskin living in a glassed-in cabinet box near the cash register. If Wrink was in a good mood (not shedding his skin and not hungry) she'd let me take him out for a walk. I'd wander around the shelves, checking out the new books, with about 6 feet of snake resting on my shoulders. Wrink was usually curious, reaching up towards the shelves and smelling them with his tongue.

I tried not to startle other patrons.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'm one of those that grew up chasing down and catching snakes, frogs and other critters. So snakes only bother me when they pop up in a surprising manner.
When I was stationed at Salerno, Afghanistan, I helped the vector control guy because he was frightened of snakes. He used to stand back making wincy faces as I went in to turn over stuff with the grabby stick and a plexi-glass sheild. (We had spitting cobras in the area)

So the Gorgon Sisters don't squick me out...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Gyrrakavian wrote:Well, it's a more understandable fear than that of spiders.
Catawampus wrote:Just wait until I unleash my flying flock of bat/spider/snake/cow hybrids. . .
As long as it's not . . .

. . .

. . .

Spigeons.

. . .

I think we eventually hunted all of those down, but Weird Science still had/has the records from their creation . . . :?

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:
Catawampus wrote:Just wait until I unleash my flying flock of bat/spider/snake/cow hybrids. . .
As long as it's not . . .

. . .

. . .

Spigeons.

. . .

I think we eventually hunted all of those down, but Weird Science still had/has the records from their creation . . . :?

--FreeFlier
I wish I'd had time to read this thread yesterday... The spigeons were the first thing that came to my mind, too... Though I have to admit, they were a bit before my time... by the time I got on the CRFH!!! forums, they were merely a source of dread via evocation/reminiscing, rather than through first hand experience.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

FreeFlier wrote:As long as it's not . . .

. . .

. . .

Spigeons.

. . .

lake_wrangler wrote:I wish I'd had time to read this thread yesterday... The spigeons were the first thing that came to my mind, too... Though I have to admit, they were a bit before my time... by the time I got on the CRFH!!! forums, they were merely a source of dread via evocation/reminiscing, rather than through first hand experience.
I was around, but not actively involved . . . I don't remember why I wasn't.

--FreeFlier
Julie

Post by Julie »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
I disagree. Snakes aren't all harmful or venomous...so fear of them is just as irrational as fear of spiders. :P Creepy, horrid little buggers... *shudders* Snakes are sweet in comparison IMO.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Phobias are irrational by definition.

--FreeFlier
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Julie wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
I disagree. Snakes aren't all harmful or venomous...so fear of them is just as irrational as fear of spiders. :P Creepy, horrid little buggers... *shudders* Snakes are sweet in comparison IMO.
easy enough to solve, i keep the spiders, want another pet tarantula if wife wouldn't scream bloody murder, you keep the snakes.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
Spiders and snakes I can handle, usually scare most guys away with my fondness for them...not mentioning what I can't...my son has class in the morning, and since I'm drinking a Manhattan, I can't take anything else.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm... Respectful of snakes and spiders. I'll let them hang out with me if I am convinced they're cool, but if they aren't acclimated to humans, I stay away. Pet tarantulas are a lot less scary to me than a wild spider of unknown species in my place. Similarly, a will keep a respectful distance from any wild snake... But a calm, non-venomous pet snake or zoo snake? Sure, I can chill with one of those all day.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm... Respectful of snakes and spiders. I'll let them hang out with me if I am convinced they're cool, but if they aren't acclimated to humans, I stay away. Pet tarantulas are a lot less scary to me than a wild spider of unknown species in my place. Similarly, a will keep a respectful distance from any wild snake... But a calm, non-venomous pet snake or zoo snake? Sure, I can chill with one of those all day.
I'd have fun hanging out with you at Brookfield or Lincoln Park...though I'd step out to the side and beg to assist with milking times.

I remember going to the Dallas Zoo on holiday...stupid macho jerkfaces were pounding on the viper's display glass trying to get them riled up so the girls clinging to them could ooh and ahh at their macho bravado. My son commented on walking by, "Well, that's a Darwin waiting to happen..." He then told the nearest zookeeper who got security to threaten them.

I mean, these were not just plain Indiana cottonmouths(though they had those too) these were some of the most venomous snakes in Texas and a few from around the world. I was so proud of my nerdy son...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I have a feeling I would get along quite splendidly with you two...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I always end up being the guy called upon to identify/remove the bug or spider or snake that has gotten where it isn't welcome. None of those critters worry me at all and I'm well familiar with how they act, so it's never really been a problem.

Not long ago I was in a grocery store, and one of the guys working in the meat department came up to me and asked me, "Hey, are you freaked out by lizards?" I replied that I wasn't, and then he asked if I could help him out. It turned out that an elderly lady had been pushing around her shopping cart when she noticed that there was a lizard just sitting there on the side of it, hanging on and apparently enjoying the ride. She went up to the meat department guy to see if he could remove it for her, but he was too scared of it. So he saw me and thought he'd ask me to do it. Apparently I just have that look about me.