More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

BTW: The avatar i had up earlier, and my current one are from a single piece, an art commission one of the regulars over at Misfile paid for and posted on the forum.

Here they both are, a little larger:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

HmmmmmMmmmmmMmmmmm... Indeed.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote:<_<
>_>
So how about that EM drive all the geeky websites are going on about? I keep seeing thriller headlines saying NASA accidentally invented a Warp Drive, and then I see sites like Forbes and Wired saying that it's a load of crap, on varying levels (it's not a warp engine, or it does warp space time, but not like that, or it's not even a real engine, just some cooky idiot trying to get attention or something).
not Warp Drive, but possibly Impulse Drive, there's a difference...

Impulse:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Impulse_drive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_drive

Warp:
http://ask.metafilter.com/63843/How-doe ... drive-work
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive

And here is some discussion re; not traveling at greater than Light Speed, yet still using a Warp Drive.
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=183914 <- I haven't read the whole thread there yet, this is all from a few quick mins w/ Google...)

(Note: My understanding is that there is nothing that says "if you turn on the Warp Drive, you Must travel at 'Greater than Light Speed'", rather that it makes it possible...)

And we could really break it down:
http://www.st-v-sw.net/Obsidian/January/stardrives.htm

Bottom line; there is 'Most Likely' something on the next plateau of scientific exploration and development that is 'better' than the Chemical Rockets of today (and last Century for that matter...)

We take for granted things like the Internal Combustion Engine, Canned Foods, Refrigerators, and without mentioning Atomic Submarines. Take a minute and think about a Nautilus made real and functional- then recall Jules Verne wrote fiction, wildly speculative and fantastic fiction for his time.

And what have we done with it, up to this point?

(And since I'm asking questions, why are we still killing each other, and in Job Lots?) oops, too far.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

The way I understood it was it was some kind electromagnetic drive that a sub-par lab made and tested, and using crappy setups, claim to have detected a slight warping of the space-time continuum or something.

The point being they are claiming to have found a way to warp space time to gain momentum/velocity. And it's a pretty shoddy claim. Especially when you consider the engine's main method of supposed propulsion is bouncing microwaves around inside a cone (NOT exiting) and apparently... Pushing against some quantum stuff? Yeah. Whatever it's supposed to be pushing against doesn't really exist, from what I've read.

It seems like the media made a mountain out of a molehill of a side-effect of a crappy engine.

Don't get me wrong, we've got some super-cool stuff in the works. I've heard of designs using solar sails, ion drives, laser ablation, and even directed nuclear blasts. And that's just the stuff I have a rough understanding of. Ten bucks says there are teams out there working (successfully, even) on stuff I have no clue about.

Hey, FPF, could you post the link to that commission you got those pics from?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

GlytchMeister wrote:Hey, FPF, could you post the link to that commission you got those pics from?
Obviously not FPF but I can assist.
http://s527.photobucket.com/user/hattie ... n.jpg.html
Posted on Arien's Photobucket. No point in linking to the Misfile forum thread, you have to sign up and be logged in to even read them.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Wow. Ok. Didn't expect Mr. Hazelton to draw stuff that racy.
:oops:
(Ahem.) ... Cool. ;)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:Wow. Ok. Didn't expect Mr. Hazelton to draw stuff that racy.
(Ahem.) ... Cool. ;)
A lot of his reluctance to do more specific portrayals is due to PayPal, rather than his own feelings.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Wow. Ok. Didn't expect Mr. Hazelton to draw stuff that racy.
(Ahem.) ... Cool. ;)
A lot of his reluctance to do more specific portrayals is due to PayPal, rather than his own feelings.
Yes PayPal is well known for using its own moralistic ideas to choose if they will close a persons account (And they get to keep any monies in that account at the time of the closure. Their TOS allows this it seems without any type of outside over-site) There have been recorded instances when they have decided to do this for people selling classic art pieces (The kind that can be shown on public TV in the states).
Last edited by Mark N on Sat May 09, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

That's precisely why I refuse to use PayPal.

Speaking if which, I need to get an avatar.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

>_>
So how about that EM drive all the geeky websites are going on about? I keep seeing thriller headlines saying NASA accidentally invented a Warp Drive, and then I see sites like Forbes and Wired saying that it's a load of crap, on varying levels (it's not a warp engine, or it does warp space time, but not like that, or it's not even a real engine, just some cooky idiot trying to get attention or something).
From what I've read on it all, any effects from it are within the margin of error for the instruments' detection abilities, and the people behind the invention can't come up with any proper theory for why it might do what they claim. So in short, they have yet to explain how what they haven't definitively shown happen might happen.
AnotherFairportfan

Catawampus wrote:
>_>
From what I've read on it all, any effects from it are within the margin of error for the instruments' detection abilities, and the people behind the invention can't come up with any proper theory for why it might do what they claim. So in short, they have yet to explain how what they haven't definitively shown happen might happen.
Dean Device
AnotherFairportfan

Notice Supergirl's reaction

MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

:shock:

Now that I've taken a moment to study the rest of the picture, I have to admit I don't recognize the woman directly behind SuperGirl.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
AnotherFairportfan

Batwoman. Girlfriend of Renee Montoya, the new Question.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Oooh, that explains the bat-shapes at the tops of her boots.
And now I'm wondering what Harley is doing there; isn't she technically a villain?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
AnotherFairportfan

MerchManDan wrote:Oooh, that explains the bat-shapes at the tops of her boots.
And now I'm wondering what Harley is doing there; isn't she technically a villain?
This isn't so much super-heroines as it's comic women whose costumes are designed for the Male Gaze.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Pain in every nerve keeping me awake for days, and making me want to claw my joints apart. Allergies giving me a dry, unproductive cough that's so painful it rattles my shoulders. Stress bringing my normally very low bp high, and resulting in bloody noses. I'm anemic, so that doesn't help. Hypoglycemic too, so my diet is usually pretty healthy(except for coffee) to keep myself healthy.

I am:

Drinking more water than junk.
Cooking and eating healthy.
Exercising moderately with appropriate warm up/cool down.
Taking all medicines and supplements exactly as prescribed.
Trying to avoid pain medicines.

This is driving me mad. It comes and goes at random, and no pattern to duration, month, weather, nor season.

"Experts" say it's not real/possible, so I cannot get insurance assistance to pay to discover what it is, and find treatments.

Sorry for the rant. Not looking for responses or sympathy, just trying to get this negativity out of my system before my son gets home.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hugs, hon.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(This is not a response, these are not the droids you are looking for...)

Groove-a-liscious healing vibes (kinda like Mom hugs) beaming your way.

(You can go about your business, move along, move along...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So, I found out today that I'll be going to the lumber department on the 1st, and also getting a $0.75/hr raise. I got moved up to $9/hr a couple weeks ago. If I can manage to get them to fix my hours so I have the same schedule every week, I'll have an easier time getting a second job (probably a temp position), so I'd be able to pay off the car much sooner.

Speaking of my car, I'll probably be getting the a/c fixed tomorrow, and I now have floor mats. Now to fix the radiator and get it registered.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.