Honkin' Big Mushrooms

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Honkin' Big Mushrooms

Post by Fairportfan »

Big Honkin' Mushrooms

On the roots of an oak tree across the street. Last year there were fewer (and in better shape; i wonder of the neighbourhood deer have been noshing on them). However, these are bigger than last year, too.

Last year, i took some pictures and printed them and took them to the County Agent; it took him two days, but he identified them as "honey fungus"

Eventually (possibly many years, possibly pretty quickly), they will kill that oak tree, causing "white rot" - now that they're in the wood, they're there for good.

They're apparently somewhat toxic raw, but edible cooked - and considered a delicacy in the Ukraine.

That's my cell phone, to give a sense of scale. That's the large one to the front left in the big picture; not the largest, which is the one at the right rear.

Click here for a wide view of the whole scene.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Re: Honkin' Big Mushrooms

Post by shadowinthelight »

Now you need to find a Ukrainian to teach you how to cook them without, you know, killing yourself.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Well, if they're only "somewhat toxic" then I'm sure FPF has nothing to worry about. Heck, undercooked honey fungus might even lead to a mind-expanding experience.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

MerchManDan wrote:Well, if they're only "somewhat toxic" then I'm sure FPF has nothing to worry about. Heck, undercooked honey fungus might even lead to a mind-expanding experience.
Yeah, 'mind expanding' to the point they's leakin' out his ears... :shock:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Hey - the deer can have 'em.

You can't see it as clearly as in some of the pictures i took last year. but apparently they get their name because their surface is covered with little pits, each of which appears to have a drop of a yellowish liquid that resembles honey in it.

Ah - here we are:

=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:Hey - the deer can have 'em.

You can't see it as clearly as in some of the pictures i took last year. but apparently they get their name because their surface is covered with little pits, each of which appears to have a drop of a yellowish liquid that resembles honey in it.

Ah - here we are:
EDIT: img
Bit of brain dribbled from previous noshing...

Do you happen to know what purpose the liquid is? Insect lure or something?
*starts google prowl*
Leak

Post by Leak »

Jabberwonky wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Well, if they're only "somewhat toxic" then I'm sure FPF has nothing to worry about. Heck, undercooked honey fungus might even lead to a mind-expanding experience.
Yeah, 'mind expanding' to the point they's leakin' out his ears... :shock:
Reminds me of the Boletus Rex boss I came across in Torchlight 2 yesterday... :D

(Also, the boss before was big honking steampunk'd sphinx that makes Phix' latest outbursts look positively harmless... :))
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:Do you happen to know what purpose the liquid is? Insect lure or something?
*starts google prowl*
Not the foggiest.

Don' wanna know, neither.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

They look kinda tasty, actually.

Rest assured, this doesn't mean I'm about to go prowling the woods for mushrooms. I'll be happy with the ones I get at the grocery store. Mmmm. Portobellas.
ImageImage
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

chibichibi01 wrote:They look kinda tasty, actually.

Rest assured, this doesn't mean I'm about to go prowling the woods for mushrooms. I'll be happy with the ones I get at the grocery store. Mmmm. Portobellas.
Thanks for reminding me of the giant stuffed Portobello appetizer Macaroni Grill stopped serving some years ago. It was practically a meal all by itself. :(
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:They look kinda tasty, actually.

Thanks for reminding me of the giant stuffed Portobello appetizer Macaroni Grill stopped serving some years ago. It was practically a meal all by itself. :(
And you for reminding me of Italian Nachos when I'm eight thousand miles away from them. Argh.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Mmmmmm. Mushrooms stuffed with brie.
Julie

Post by Julie »

The one you posted with your phone in it for sizing...yeah that one looks a little like bread to me. :( Weird!

Aaand I'm with everyone else on the mushroom cravings now. I think I may have to splurge at my favorite Mexican food restaurant and order La Portobella Negra (description from the website: Large grilled portabella mushroom topped with tender roasted shredded beef and sautéed onions with melted Monterey jack cheese. Served with rice, beans and dinner salad.). Thanks FPF! :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:The one you posted with your phone in it for sizing...yeah that one looks a little like bread to me. :( Weird!

Aaand I'm with everyone else on the mushroom cravings now. I think I may have to splurge at my favorite Mexican food restaurant and order La Portobella Negra (description from the website: Large grilled portabella mushroom topped with tender roasted shredded beef and sautéed onions with melted Monterey jack cheese. Served with rice, beans and dinner salad.). Thanks FPF! :P
Oh, fer the lovva...I just got back from the DFAC (the mess hall) with sangwitches because the main line looked so unpalatable...and you put that in my mind...
(looks at his sangwitches and sighs)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:The one you posted with your phone in it for sizing...yeah that one looks a little like bread to me. :( Weird!

Oh, fer the lovva...I just got back from the DFAC (the mess hall) with sangwitches because the main line looked so unpalatable...and you put that in my mind...
Sorry! :(
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

Ooh, you gotta put 'Open a San Antonio location' on the custmer comment cards when you visit. Those bat rastards don't have a location closer than 5 hours on the highway to my house...
:(
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:Oh, fer the lovva...I just got back from the DFAC (the mess hall) with sangwitches because the main line looked so unpalatable...and you put that in my mind...
Ooh, you gotta put 'Open a San Antonio location' on the custmer comment cards when you visit. Those bat rastards don't have a location closer than 5 hours on the highway to my house...
:(
I must try and find it the next time I'm in Texas. I fell in lust with El Fenix when I visited there last. The Midwest has crap for Mexican here. In fact, most things that have Texas here are craptacular...except the Roadhouse, and they're building a new location by my house! :D
Tempted to go hang out with my mother the next time she goes hunting for Morels, because they make most mushroom dishes tastier. Tootsy-froots! You guys got me doing it now!...I'm craving Jap-chae. I've got some Pyogo and Nutari mushrooms...oh, and the Portobella "Burgers" from Bristol Faire. Oh, and now I gotta goto the store for Portabella's to make my Saffron rice and Asiago stuffed mushrooms.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Next time in San Antonio, try Bee's. It's on Lockhill-Selma road, just outside loop 410 on Blanco rd. The first left you come to, it's the first building on the left. Great family owned restraunt and bakery. I love the Chiles Rellenos. Mmmmm...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:Next time in San Antonio, try Bee's. It's on Lockhill-Selma road, just outside loop 410 on Blanco rd. The first left you come to, it's the first building on the left. Great family owned restraunt and bakery. I love the Chiles Rellenos. Mmmmm...
@#$! It's school time for the wee one, so I can't just take a road trip, but darn it! I want to! Texas has such yummy food! I gained 25 pounds from spending a week there and sampling the food. Oh My God they've spoiled me forever on good beef.

About the only thing we one up Texas on is we have both Giordano's and Uno's here(45 minutes travel from my house when I want a real Chicago-Style Pizza...call it in, drive up, try to make the trip home without making a pitstop to tear into it). I prefer Giordano's, but they both make an awesome Beef, cheese and Mushroom Pizza Pie. Dear Lord it's heaven!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir