My Turn 2015-06-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

My Turn 2015-06-30

Post by Opus the Poet »

Yay! and it's "accept". Linky http://wapsisquare.com/comic/my-turn-2/

Edit: A triumph for cloud-based proofreading!
Last edited by Opus the Poet on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Cheesy1

Re: My Turn 2015-06-30

Post by Cheesy1 »

Well, someone's about to revert to full Ursa form!

By the way, Paul: that should be "accept" not "except" in the second panel. :P

Edit: Thanks Paul!
Last edited by Cheesy1 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dibblah

Post by Dibblah »

"Squeeeeeeee!!"
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I noticed I beat Cheesy by a few seconds, while he was putting up the wrong link. :oops:
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

I think this song perfectly states how I feel right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Bwuh...

...*inhale*...

SQUEEEE!!!

Happy stuff is happening! The Angst Tide is receding!

(So I guess this means Atsali's bubble is small and/or permeable?)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Cheesy1

Post by Cheesy1 »

Opus the Poet wrote:I noticed I beat Cheesy by a few seconds, while he was putting up the wrong link. :oops:
Yeah, you beat me by a few seconds in creating the thread. And I didn't notice the first time I put up the link that I had the wrong address.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

It's OK I don't get a chance to compete in these things very often because I'm usually putting my blog post to bed about the time the new page comes up, so I like to brag a little. :ugeek: and maybe geek out a bit :geek:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

So.... we're talking turns now?
Dave

Post by Dave »

As a guy I used to work with in the operating-system group at Honeywell used to say,

"Sysgen it and ship it!"
Thor

Post by Thor »

I think Nadette just had all her teeth caved in. Good thing she can move them around at will.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Thor wrote:I think Nadette just had all her teeth caved in. Good thing she can move them around at will.
Did you take a level in "craft disturbing mental image" recently?
*shudder*
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Thor wrote:I think Nadette just had all her teeth caved in. Good thing she can move them around at will.
Did you take a level in "craft disturbing mental image" recently?
*shudder*
No, he just added ranks to the skill :ugeek: Where is the d20?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Aaaaaand, just off screen, soto-voiced, somebody is remarking...

"See?, I told you Sirens were like that!“
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I don't understand...

Atsali went from "You can't be my girlfriend, you're my friend! Don't throw what we already have under a train!" and "Was it (Nadette's friendship) a game, just to see how close you could get?", to "Well, if it's an official request, sure, I'll be your girlfriend!"

What gives? That makes no sense to me. Even if Atsali now knows that there was no malice at any point in time, and believes that Nadette was being forthright all along, and she (Atsali) simply didn't realize it (which takes care of the second objection), how does that change/address the first one? (i.e. "We have a good friendship, I don't want to ruin it by getting too close.")
Thor

Post by Thor »

lake_wrangler wrote:I don't understand...

Atsali went from "You can't be my girlfriend, you're my friend! Don't throw what we already have under a train!" and "Was it (Nadette's friendship) a game, just to see how close you could get?", to "Well, if it's an official request, sure, I'll be your girlfriend!"

What gives? That makes no sense to me. Even if Atsali now knows that there was no malice at any point in time, and believes that Nadette was being forthright all along, and she (Atsali) simply didn't realize it (which takes care of the second objection), how does that change/address the first one? (i.e. "We have a good friendship, I don't want to ruin it by getting too close.")
Yeah, it is a bit of a puzzle. All I can guess is that Atsali has had some time to mull it over (a day? a week? a month? it's Wapsi-time, so who knows!) and came to the conclusion that she was overreacting and/or letting her issues get the better of her. It feels a bit forced, given her reaction in the past, but maybe Mr. Taylor got tired of waiting like the rest of us and gave it a little push.
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:What gives? That makes no sense to me. Even if Atsali now knows that there was no malice at any point in time, and believes that Nadette was being forthright all along, and she (Atsali) simply didn't realize it (which takes care of the second objection), how does that change/address the first one? (i.e. "We have a good friendship, I don't want to ruin it by getting too close.")
My sense is that the first reaction was the result of a flashback trigger... the idea of getting close to Nadette brought up (suddenly and disturbingly) Atsali's buried memories of Demon Girl and her death. I think Atsali had a "buried meme" in her thinking... "more-than-casual closeness equates to death and loss"... as a result of whatever went on between her and Demon Girl, and the latter's apparent suicide. She wasn't really rejecting Nadette... she was rejecting the whole idea of being close.

Also, Atsali was still deep in the throes of "I can't tell what anyone is really thinking... I can't tell if they're just trying to use and manipulate me... I cannot trust, therefore I cannot take the risk of getting close".

What happened since then? Everything at the pool. She's had some pattern-and-mold-breaking interpersonal experiences today.

Dealing with Devyn and friends was part of it... she envied them, then found that they looked up to and feared her... and she cleared this up simply by being open, and talking, and willing that stupid misunderstandings not cause further pain and grief. That was good practice.

And Jessie... that was really important. She learned that someone that she'd never really trusted... someone she could quite reasonably suspect of trying to manipulate her to regain social power... truly was her friend, truly was "watching her back", and had taken a huge personal risk on her behalf.

I think she's had a significant break-through into a new place: "I'm not alone. I don't have to be so alone any more!"

It's not quite the same thing Shelly went through, on the tearful day when she semi-eviscerated Justin and then finally told him the truth about herself... but they have something in common. They've each realized that they don't have to be so afraid of opening up and letting others into their hearts.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Am I the only one worried that next page their gonna get kicked out for indecent behavior? That kiss is pretty passionate. lol

Also, is there a specific place to talk about past events? Cause I've been rereading the comic and want to talk about a few things I took notice of.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

And then the pool had to be shut down due to biohazard concerns from all the exploded heads from the teenage boys.
Dave wrote:My sense is that the first reaction was the result of a flashback trigger... the idea of getting close to Nadette brought up (suddenly and disturbingly) Atsali's buried memories of Demon Girl and her death. I think Atsali had a "buried meme" in her thinking... "more-than-casual closeness equates to death and loss"... as a result of whatever went on between her and Demon Girl, and the latter's apparent suicide. She wasn't really rejecting Nadette... she was rejecting the whole idea of being close.
I think she's had a significant break-through into a new place: "I'm not alone. I don't have to be so alone any more!"
*ding*ding*ding* People can react to something very differently to the same thing once they've had a chance to process it.
TheCollector wrote:Also, is there a specific place to talk about past events? Cause I've been rereading the comic and want to talk about a few things I took notice of.
If there is no appropriate thread, create one in the Wapsi Square General Discussion sub forum.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Masterof7s

Post by Masterof7s »

I don't see a kiss in that last panel so much as i hear OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!