Probably the most-unnecessary movie sequel OF ALL TIME

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Probably the most-unnecessary movie sequel OF ALL TIME

Post by Fairportfan »

At first i wondered if this was a hoax. then i followed the link in the article to the Daily Variety article.

You'll soon no longer live in a world where It's A Wonderful Life 2 was never born

Sean O'Neal/The AV Club wrote: Ending years in which we lived a hellish, alternate existence in which there was no sequel to It’s A Wonderful Life, an angel has arrived in the form of Star Partners and Hummingbird Productions, who will produce a follow-up to the Frank Capra classic in time for next Christmas, thus answering the considerable shortage of It’s A Wonderful Life around the holidays. The now-73-year-old Karolyn Grimes—who played Jimmy Stewart’s daughter “Zuzu” in the original, delivering the immortal line, “Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings”—will return in this new film as an angel and, therefore, that adorable little girl who’s now dead. And, in what sounds like a slight reversal of the film’s original message—even though producers insist it “retains the spirit"—she’ll then show George Bailey’s “unlikeable grandson (also named George Bailey) how much better off the world would have been had he never been born.” “Seriously, you should kill yourself,” Grimes will say in this new It’s A Wonderful Life Without Dicks Like You for our more modern, cynical times, her angel character sprouting a pair of sleek, CGI wings every time she racks up a fresh kill.
(I will add that i despise It's a Wonderful Life only slightly less than i do The Wizard of Oz, if only because Christmas was made hellish for me for many years by the two of them.)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Re: Probably the most-unnecessary movie sequel OF ALL TIME

Post by MerchManDan »

And I thought "Weekend At Bernie's 2" was an unnecessary sequel. :|
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

What about Birdemic 2: The Resurrection?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The problem is that this sequel was already done on "Married With Children" when the late Sam Kinison was the angel showing Al a world without him.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

So... an utterly unholy cross between "A Christmas Carol" (made on a budget, hence missing two of the three noncorporeal message bearers... four if you count Marley) and "Ishtar IV".

Sounds awful.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:So... an utterly unholy cross between "A Christmas Carol" (made on a budget, hence missing two of the three noncorporeal message bearers... four if you count Marley) and "Ishtar IV".

Sounds awful.

Like "Ishtar" want terrible enough on its own.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Julie

Post by Julie »

It sounded bad enough when my husband told me that there was a sequel coming. Now that I read that overview of how the story will differ...yeah...this may well be the biggest movie travesty ever. :(

For the record, I don't dislike It's a Wonderful Life, but I also have avoided watching more than twice in my life...so while I roll my eyes when I see it's on tv, I just change the channel and thank God that my parents and grandparents didn't make watching it a mandatory part of our holidays. That may also be why I still absolutely love The Wizard of Oz. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:Like "Ishtar" want terrible enough on its own.
True 'nuff... that's why I used "Ishtar IV" as a touchstone reference for "awfulness, raised to a power of repetition that is inconceivable to mere mortals."

On the other hand, even the most awful or banal of turkeys may have an occasional tidbit that's worth saving. My wife and I occasionally break out in spontaneous song... just the one phrase "Telling the truth is a dangerous business!"... or refer to someone's situation with "... never get a job in a rock-'n-roll band!" So awful it's almost good. Almost. Sorta.

I recall a "Bloom County" bit from years ago (possibly about to show up in reruns this week) in which Oliver Wendell Jones was fuming over the way that Russian science was outpacing American, due to lack of proper focus by American industry. The Russians were sending advanced science probes to Mars, while America's military-industrial complex was creating a new constellation of satellites to beam American movies into impoverished Third World nations... "The All-'Ishtar' Channel, 24 hours per day!" Oliver almost strangled Opus in a fit of uncontrolled frustration.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I thoght Marlo Thomas had already done a sequel (of sorts) to IAWL?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin