After the rigging 2016-04-5 April 2016

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

After the rigging 2016-04-5 April 2016

Post by FreeFlier »

. . .

It's contagious! Phix had better watch out!

They are to be congratulated - they managed to dumbfound Phix!

. . .

Now to see if they survive the achievement!

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: After the rigging 2016-04-15 April 2016

Post by AmriloJim »

Linky: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/after-the-rigging/

Odd: Nudge doesn't get listed as a character in this one. (Assuming that is Nudge.)

EDIT: Paul got it fixed.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

AAAAnd that answers that question.

No, no. No problem with pyrotechnics in a place filled with paper. Why do you ask?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley- we have NAVAL action, I say again, NAVAL action inside the library!!! unable to ascertain certain aspects, but one antagonist appears to be French while the other appears to be English- and has a ambulatory briar patch as a sponge monkey. over

SQUAK!!! WHEEEEEEEEYOOOUP!!! o arley, isis avo ase- at a u een inking?!? over

Bravo base this is Bravo Charley I HAVE NOT BEEN DRINKING!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

"Rendre la pareille", while sounding a little weird when said like that (i.e. I'm not sure what the correct phrase would be in such a situation in real life), is grammatically correct, and means essentially "to return (fire) in the same manner."
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Library... piracy... so easy to get those two mixed up.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Zut alors! C'est Nudge!

(Points to anybody old enough to identify the artist to whom I am obliquely referring)

And, I suppose that since the Library itself has designated Nudge as a co-Librarian, she's probably authorized to authorize mayhem and designate a firing range within the Library.

This will probably not sit well with Phix.
Warrl

Re: After the rigging 2016-04-15 April 2016 <---QUOI?

Post by Warrl »

Zut aussi! C'est la «chaîne de temps» dans le titre du fil! Il faut dire que le 5ème pas le 15!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:Zut alors! C'est Nudge!

(Points to anybody old enough to identify the artist to whom I am obliquely referring)
My first thought went to Maurice Chevalier, known for singing the opening song to the movie The Aristocats, as well as playing in In Search of the Castaways, and a few other Disney movies of the time.

Of course, you probably meant someone else. So I plugged in "Zut Alors" into a search engine. One page was a Wikipedia entry on French expressions in English. On the line for "Zut alors", there is mention of Frank Zappa, and his album "Zoot Allures".
That could be the artist you are referring to.

But given my luck, and my *ahem* extensive *cough* knowledge of cultural references, I'm probably way out in left field... :P
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

Mistress and Commander ...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:Zut alors! C'est Nudge!

I never watched the Pink Panther movies, so I really don't know, but could it be Peter Sellers' Inspector Jacques Clouseau?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Akasha wrote:Mistress and Commander ...
... sounds like an S&M title...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Don't question it Phix, just go with it... bad French and all! HAVE FUN!

A library that can repair itself, and books that reappear in the library if force is used... There is only one unknown variable here...

Where is Bia?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:On the line for "Zut alors", there is mention of Frank Zappa, and his album "Zoot Allures".
That could be the artist you are referring to.
Bingo.

The story I heard, years ago, was that Zappa named the album after a French cartoon he saw somewhere. It was of a dachshund (or a similar wiener dog) which had walked all the way around a tree, encountering what it thought was another dog's butt. It sniffed, and then said "Zut alors, c'est moi!"

To Zappa, I guess, it was that kind of album.
eee

Post by eee »

Ah. Nudge. That explains everything.

Except how all of them are going to survive Phix's wrath. Their only hope is to make her part of the insanity.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

This is really funny. Especially the way it's drawn.

What's happened is that the inmates have taken over the asylum. Either she will have to lay down the law or join in. Problem is sphinxes are pretty much lay down the law types. The laws must be obeyed. There may not be a law for this sort of thing, however. Just rules. Sphinxes are not quite so strict on doggedly enforcing rules. Some judgement calls there. Maybe someone could poit them and their cannons all out to the island.

I wish they would make movies like this with all female casts. Remakes or new movies with all female crews on both sides. Big armada battles and huge army battles. Some did a remake of "Reservoir Dogs" called "Reservoir Cats" with an all female cast. It was low budget but they did pretty good job considering. In some scenes you could tell they were using toy guns painted black (could see the brush strokes even). Problem is the accents were so thick it was hard to understand some parts. Still, I enjoyed it. So did others I know. They even threw in a couple of obvious jokes like having some cops running in high heels when chasing the bad girls. Unlike the stupidity in movies when they show that, these characters were having a tough time running in them, like they should.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley- we have NAVAL action, I say again, NAVAL action inside the library!!! unable to ascertain certain aspects, but one antagonist appears to be French while the other appears to be English- and has a ambulatory briar patch as a sponge monkey. over

Bravo Charley this is TCC, we have a Predator orbiting said position and we verify your report. Given that we also seem to see a fully grown sphinx that appears agitated we suggest that you might wish to correct that have not been drinking. If i were anywhere close i would for sure need a couple of stiff shots of medicinal whiskey.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

“Zut alors!”
Surprisingly, this phrase has no literal translation to English. The phrase essentially means holy smokes or darn!

Looks like someone was studying French and English history and got caught up in the story. . .even so, it is still an F'n library and it is best not to make that much noise, especially a Library guarded by a Sphinx. Unless you are immortal like Monica and can survive having the front half of your head ripped off.

That being said, it seems to be all noise and no damage; as the library is perfectly capable of protecting itself. So maybe the library provided the cannon and no one has to die. We shall wait and see . . .
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

oldmanmickey wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley- we have NAVAL action, I say again, NAVAL action inside the library!!! unable to ascertain certain aspects, but one antagonist appears to be French while the other appears to be English- and has a ambulatory briar patch as a sponge monkey. over

Bravo Charley this is TCC, we have a Predator orbiting said position and we verify your report. Given that we also seem to see a fully grown sphinx that appears agitated we suggest that you might wish to correct that have not been drinking. If i were anywhere close i would for sure need a couple of stiff shots of medicinal whiskey.
Bravo Base this is Bravo Charley- we don't need whiskey, we need EVAC right now!!! GET US THE FLOG OUTTA HERE!!! -over...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

meisdadoo wrote:“Zut alors!”
Surprisingly, this phrase has no literal translation to English. The phrase essentially means holy smokes or darn!

Looks like someone was studying French and English history and got caught up in the story. . .even so, it is still an F'n library and it is best not to make that much noise, especially a Library guarded by a Sphinx. Unless you are immortal like Monica and can survive having the front half of your head ripped off.

That being said, it seems to be all noise and no damage; as the library is perfectly capable of protecting itself. So maybe the library provided the cannon and no one has to die. We shall wait and see . . .
Neither one of those cannons are mine... or Neil's... I have nothing on a Naval Carriage
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.