Katsucon 2016 2016-02-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Katsucon 2016 2016-02-11

Post by Dave »

I really hope that ink-spill is a digital overlay, and not a realsie :shock:

Wish I could be there! (I'm guessing this means no strip update for Friday, either. Ah well... hope the travels and weather and 'con are good for you, Paul!)

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/katsucon-2016/
Sgt. Howard

Re: Katsucon 2016 2016-02-11

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Time to shoot a horse...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Out of the Inkwell comes Koko the Clown...

(Havent looked hard enough to find the version with Theme Music...)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:I really hope that ink-spill is a digital overlay, and not a realsie :shock:
Well, the bottle doesn't seem to have ink in it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I knew an engineer who, back in the day when technical drawings were done in ink, had a co-worker he was annoyed with who had just spent two days doing a very intricate view . . . when the victim went to lunch, the other guy went over to his board and (after checking the ink was dry) stuck down a sheet of MacTac (self-adhesive plastic sheeting - essentially very very wide scotch tape) on which he had poured ink, and had then varnished the ink so it looked like it was still wet. Then he artfully arranged an empty ink bottle tipped over at the top of the ink "spill" . . .

The victim nearly had a heart attack!

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Oh, and I fergot;

Kiki! for the WIIIIIIIIIn!

Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

FreeFlier wrote:I knew an engineer who, back in the day when technical drawings were done in ink, had a co-worker he was annoyed with who had just spent two days doing a very intricate view . . . when the victim went to lunch, the other guy went over to his board and (after checking the ink was dry) stuck down a sheet of MacTac (self-adhesive plastic sheeting - essentially very very wide scotch tape) on which he had poured ink, and had then varnished the ink so it looked like it was still wet. Then he artfully arranged an empty ink bottle tipped over at the top of the ink "spill" . . .

--FreeFlier
There was a variation of that done with large, expensive CRTs when such things were used, involving a sheet of adhesive plastic and some artfully drawn cracks and an impact spot. Apply, call in technician to fix complaining "Monitor scope's down"...

I was on both sides of that trick at one time or another.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Just Old Al wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:I knew an engineer who, back in the day when technical drawings were done in ink, had a co-worker he was annoyed with who had just spent two days doing a very intricate view . . . when the victim went to lunch, the other guy went over to his board and (after checking the ink was dry) stuck down a sheet of MacTac (self-adhesive plastic sheeting - essentially very very wide scotch tape) on which he had poured ink, and had then varnished the ink so it looked like it was still wet. Then he artfully arranged an empty ink bottle tipped over at the top of the ink "spill" . . .

--FreeFlier
There was a variation of that done with large, expensive CRTs when such things were used, involving a sheet of adhesive plastic and some artfully drawn cracks and an impact spot. Apply, call in technician to fix complaining "Monitor scope's down"...

They used to advertise things like that on the back pages of comic books--you were supposed to stick it on the TV screen and freak out your parents.

I didn't think Grandma could've saved my ass from them if I'd tried that. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Just Old Al wrote:

--FreeFlier

Did that once to a co-workers photo of wife-unit. The picture was a decent glamour shot of the lady. Removed the photo from frame,laid a piece of clear plastic sheet over it, then proceeded to draw the obligatory scars, mustache, tattoos, and other bits. Once back in the frame, the effect was perfect. When he saw the photo the next day, he laughed and picked it up to rub what he figured was grease pencil from the glass. When it did not rub off, he became a tad agitated until we were able to convince him the photo really wasn't ruined. He did have a good laugh after.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:I really hope that ink-spill is a digital overlay, and not a realsie :shock:
Well, the bottle doesn't seem to have ink in it...
Not any more!
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Typeminer wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:

They used to advertise things like that on the back pages of comic books--you were supposed to stick it on the TV screen and freak out your parents. . . .
I've seen them for windows, either car or home/business . . . the better ones were pretty convincing.

There were also fake bullet-holes for cars . . . I've also seen cars with real bullet-holes in them . . . admittedly, the holes were carefully placed to avoid anything important.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

So, about Katsucon...

Paul came out okay, but it was freakin' freezing outside.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Typeminer wrote:They used to advertise things like that on the back pages of comic books--you were supposed to stick it on the TV screen and freak out your parents.

I didn't think Grandma could've saved my ass from them if I'd tried that. :mrgreen:
And, speaking for the very, very old, may I remind the rather more young of:

Winky Dink and You!

What? Winky Dink is in trouble? Grab your crayons, kids! He needs a Bridge/Tree/Door/etc.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

[quote="Atomic"What? Winky Dink is in trouble? Grab your crayons, kids! He needs a Bridge/Tree/Door/etc.[/quote]
What? The cosplayers are in trouble? Grab your crayons, kids! They need some clothes!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

It could be actual ink on an actual, but spoiled at the printer, print. Something that couldn't be sold so defacing it for this picture wouldn't be a great loss to mankind (or even to Wapsi fandom).
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Yeah, I think he's already sold the original.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Gee... I don't suppose it could be ... I dunno... a Xerox?!?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Gee... I don't suppose it could be ... I dunno... a Xerox?!?
I think what happened here is people saw Wapsi art and then they saw a potential for damage to said Wapsi art. And then there was a collective fit of panic that could basically be summed up as "OH NOEZ THE PRECIOUS ART HATH BEEN DEFACED!"

:lol:
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Gee... I don't suppose it could be ... I dunno... a Xerox?!?
I think what happened here is people saw Wapsi art and then they saw a potential for damage to said Wapsi art. And then there was a collective fit of panic that could basically be summed up as "OH NOEZ THE PRECIOUS ART HATH BEEN DEFACED!"

:lol:
Not everybody panicked . . . I presumed that either that was a copy, or that there was something else involved, like an overlay . . . Actually, I think I would have added the ink spill in the computer until it looked right, then printed the result and laid the props in place.

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Shadup youze guys; the schtoopid horsie spilt da ink, and dats dat...