the Old Sgt.'s confession

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

the Old Sgt.'s confession

Post by Sgt. Howard »

In truth, I served only 4 years of active duty- that time saw no overseas service. I was what they called a REMF- "Rear Echelon M_____ F_____. In that remarkably short time, I made Sergeant- and was heavily involved in training of basic soldiering skills. Between that time and my education in Ranger School, I would say these two elements made a much greater impact on who I am than anything else I can think of.
So why didn't I stay in?- I can't begin to say how many times I've asked myself that same wretched question. I loved the military life... even though my bad knee is the result of an 'experiment', even though I am missing two molars due to the recoil of an issued weapon, regardless of the number of times I butted heads with superiors- I loved the Army.
I made a bad choice, pure and simple, when I got out.
I DID go back in, active reserve, when the scuds hit Israel in '90- that was six years. The 921st MASH was never mobilized- I spent the whole time stateside. The closest I ever came to combat would have been that brawl at the Quantico NCO club in 1981- and yes, I hint that 'Greg' had combat experience, but that is for the story, not me.
Yes, I can drill troops- I can 'make' soldiers. That much is proven. My leadership skills had me slotted for the fast lane- but never saw the ultimate test.
Even so, I am proud of my service, I am proud to have once worn the uniform, and I salute those who have shared that honor, especially those who have seen combat. So, to those of you who express thanks for my service, please understand-

the Honor was all mine. Given a chance, I would do it again.

Gregory F. (the Old Sgt.) Howard
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Re: the Old Sgt.'s confession

Post by jwhouk »

And you still served.

SALUTE.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:And you still served.

SALUTE.
Here, here!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Anyone who puts on the uniform with the chance of being put into harms way deserves respect. It was chance that kept you stateside. Much respect to all who served.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Ditto to what everyone else has said. *hugs!* Thank you for your service!!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Thank you Sir for your service. Like you i spent all 13 of my years stateside as well only my time was spent working on Minuteman Missiles in North Dakota. Unlike you though i thank the good Lord above that i and my fellow crews were never called on to wage war. We would have done our duty but i still have nightmares at times thinking of what ifs. Like you as well the honor and the privilege of serving was all mine and one i would gladly do again if needed. SSgt. Mickey W. Johnson 321st SMW
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hey now, old soldier. Just because you were never in the suck doesn't mean you are any less of a soldier, or less deserving of recognition for your service.
Got that?
I know it's called "Veterans' Day" and all that, but the concept has grown beyond just giving thanks to those who saw combat. It's a day of thanks for everyone in the military... Because even though you didn't mobilize, you were still keeping us, our friends and families, and our freedoms safe.
How?
By being ready. By making others ready. By letting our enemies know there will be a fight if they're stupid enough to try.

So pbbbth. You deserve thanks. Get it? Got it? Good.

Thanks, and thanks to all others who served.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Thank you, all of you...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I've had the privilege of meeting Tex Hill (AVG-RIP), Dick Cole (Dolittle Raider), Ted "Dutch" Van Kirk (Enola Gay Navigator-RIP), my step-dad served in WW2 Army Air Corps as a B-29 mechanic, my blood father (RIP) served in the army (post-war occupation force in Japan), an Uncle (RIP) that was a WW2 Navy Corsair mechanic, another Uncle that was a Wild Weasel pilot in Viet Nam, my best buddy (RIP) that was an Air Force MP in Viet Nam, co-worker (RIP) that was a grunt in Viet Nam, former boss that was a door gunner in Viet Nam, co-worker (RIP) that was Vietnamese AF pilot, a co-worker that was a tank mechanic in Desert Storm 1, and several others that served in peacetime. One thing that was common between them, they were or are all fine people. Thank you all that have served.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Yes, I can drill troops- I can 'make' soldiers. That much is proven.
May I offer this as a gift to the maker of soldiers...