Running Late 2015-10-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Running Late 2015-10-27

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:
TazManiac wrote: - I have no idea who Chell and Aperture Labs are...
Please deposit your Geek Cred card in the pun vault as well, please. Even though I never played Portal, I know who Chell is.

(She's the protagonist whose POV you play as in the two Portal games...)
:o But...but...Portal is such a short and delightfully amusing game...and Portal 2 is even better and funnier in some ways (though longer, so a lot less appealing for the person not interested in devoting much time to their games). *blinkblink* I'll just be over here listening to the closing songs from both games while I try to comprehend a world where I know more about a game than someone else. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Don't be coy Miss Julie, we all know you have superpowers...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

PS- Just noticed; Abbie's Lion has a mane... just say'n...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Devyn - Dressed as a bumblebee.
- Honeybee*

*, because of her know propensity towards all things Cake and Frosting Covered. Still; Her top is rather sharply contrasting in it's stripes. If they are truly inky black, I'll concede Bumble, but if they are any kind of (dark) brown, then it's Nutt'n Honey.
There's no need to guess: she says it right in the second panel... " She can even do the honey bees' wiggle butt dance" (i.e. not only does she have the costume, but the correlating action...) "to communicate with each other." (i.e. between her and other honey bees such as herself.)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Alexis - Batgirl
Abbie - A circus lion (anything more specific and it'd have to be explained in-strip)
Mallory - Chell from Portal 2

I'm gonna say that Abbie might be cosplaying as "The Cowardly Lion" from "The Wizard of Oz". In the original movie, the actors costume had remarkably similar face paint, though Abbie had to make-do with a turtleneck instead of the full-blown lion costuming from the movie...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Mallory passes as Aperture's Chell
a character on which I don't dwell
But from the net I espy
"The Cake is a Lie!"
Is the meme from this source as well.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:I'm gonna say that Abbie might be cosplaying as "The Cowardly Lion" from "The Wizard of Oz". In the original movie, the actors costume had remarkably similar face paint, though Abbie had to make-do with a turtleneck instead of the full-blown lion costuming from the movie...
I was wondering that, myself. I would tend to concur.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

lake_wrangler wrote:
scantrontb wrote:I'm gonna say that Abbie might be cosplaying as "The Cowardly Lion" from "The Wizard of Oz". In the original movie, the actors costume had remarkably similar face paint, though Abbie had to make-do with a turtleneck instead of the full-blown lion costuming from the movie...
I was wondering that, myself. I would tend to concur.

I think I missed this to mention, but 'yep, yep'; dems me tinks too...
Julie

Post by Julie »

TazManiac wrote:Don't be coy Miss Julie, we all know you have superpowers...
*waves hand in your general direction* These are not the droids you're...I mean there are no super powers here. :P
"Just open your eyes
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
Please deposit your Geek Cred card in the pun vault as well, please. Even though I never played Portal, I know who Chell is.

:o But...but...Portal is such a short and delightfully amusing game...and Portal 2 is even better and funnier in some ways (though longer, so a lot less appealing for the person not interested in devoting much time to their games). *blinkblink* I'll just be over here listening to the closing songs from both games while I try to comprehend a world where I know more about a game than someone else. :P
Lucky. Portal makes me go whirly puke pass out. Can't play it, can't watch a let's play of it...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

:P Hah! :) um... :| ... :o ... :shock:

I have to go do some other stuff now, laters...
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Incidentally, since nobody's mentioned it...

(And yeah, my avatar is an anthropomorphic honeybee.)
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

DinkyInky wrote:Lucky. Portal makes me go whirly puke pass out. Can't play it, can't watch a let's play of it...
Maybe ponies will make it better?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Julie

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Lucky. Portal makes me go whirly puke pass out. Can't play it, can't watch a let's play of it...
Maybe ponies will make it better?
LOL!! Love this.
"Just open your eyes
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

scantrontb wrote:
Alexis - Batgirl
Abbie - A circus lion (anything more specific and it'd have to be explained in-strip)
Mallory - Chell from Portal 2

I'm gonna say that Abbie might be cosplaying as "The Cowardly Lion" from "The Wizard of Oz". In the original movie, the actors costume had remarkably similar face paint, though Abbie had to make-do with a turtleneck instead of the full-blown lion costuming from the movie...
If given the choice, i'd take the turtleneck. Stories from the set say that that poor bastard suffered heatstroke from the spotlights when filming that last scene in Oz.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Julie wrote:
jwhouk wrote:

You know, I don't even play games, yet even I know that the cake is a lie, and that "she" is [singsong]still alive, still alive, still alive...[/singsong]

(Admittedly, I've only known this for the last year or three...)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

TazManiac wrote:- I have no idea who Chell and Aperture Labs are...
jwhouk wrote:Please deposit your Geek Cred card in the pun vault as well, please. Even though I never played Portal, I know who Chell is.

Julie wrote: :o But...but...Portal is such a short and delightfully amusing game...and Portal 2 is even better and funnier in some ways (though longer, so a lot less appealing for the person not interested in devoting much time to their games). *blinkblink* I'll just be over here listening to the closing songs from both games while I try to comprehend a world where I know more about a game than someone else. :P
lake_wrangler wrote:You know, I don't even play games, yet even I know that the cake is a lie, and that "she" is [singsong]still alive, still alive, still alive...[/singsong]

(Admittedly, I've only known this for the last year or three...)
Well, I'm halfway . . . i know about the cake and Aperture, and now about Chell . . .

The last computer games I played were Dungeon Keeper, Dungeon Hack, X-com and before that . . . USAAF and Wizard's Crown on the Commodore.

Wish I could find USAAF and Wizard's Crown for the PC, but I don't think they were ever released for the PC.

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Keep looking for whatever version you can find; people have been developing emulation environments for the old games to run on more modern equipment.

I myself am hoping to come across this older scrolling game (you move Left or Right along the topography, hoping up and over stuff as need be, and can drop down to lower levels through holes in the ground, etc).

It's a game involving a little green alien that had ship trouble and landed, on some planet, and goes along collecting gems and power ups, defeating obstacles and dangers along the way.

I cant, for the life of me, recall the name. And while it's a very far distance from the Doom/Quake, etc I was proficient in, its still a pretty fun idle.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I thought "the cake is a lie" was from "The Matrix".
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Opus the Poet wrote:I thought "the cake is a lie" was from "The Matrix".
From what I read, the cake was the promised reward for the subject to complete the tests set up by GLaDOS.