What Happened 2015-05-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: What Happened 2015-05-12

Post by illiad »

sheik wrote:While Castela is looking past my right shoulder, Kath seems to be looking past my left.
I can see why Castela is miffed at losing her toys, but I'm mystified by what Kath seems to be seeing that hasn't attracted Castela's attention.
you have never just 'starred into space' while being flummoxed???? :D

Oh, yeah and *someone* is getting tired of toys hitting her in the head from nowhere.... :/
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

TazManiac wrote:Hmmm, maybe they are being Teleported somewhere...
Maybe they're being teleported EVERYWHERE!
(One atom here, one atom over there, one atom next door, one atom down the street, etc.)
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Sómeone has taken auntie Bud's vocabulary to heart...

Oh, and why are they looking in the room, instead of to Castela's hands? Did she somehow made a life-like wooden copy of the toys? If so, let's hope that the room is big enough. Let alone if she can make them function too.. Would get messy with those zombies aboard the tank :P
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
jayessell

Post by jayessell »

♫ She's got... The Minus Touch...ooh hoo hoo"♫

(Schoolhouse Rock???)
eee

Post by eee »

Oh yes, Lily's grandchild in behavior, if not biology. :D
GlytchMeister wrote:
<snip>

I'd be really impressed if Castela could actually pull off the "Be Not" spell without the Universe fighting back or blowing up the surrounding city or something.
The universe is afraid of Castela. :lol:

I wonder who Kath is going to call for help on this. I would imagine she'll start with Phix or Bud, since Monica is off having her psyche Jetted. Maybe Cricket can shed some light on Blackthorn destructive capacity.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

It will never cease to delight me how 'little ones' pick-up and use correctly 'adult' words in appropriate situations :)

I have fond memories of my niece at the age of ... um ... 2~ish? accidentally knocking over a full glass of water and using words her father would use in the same situation.

I never heard her use those words before (or since), but I think the ability to match specific words (inappropriate they may be) to specific situations as young ages is a impressive thing.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

So when she imagines the object being destroyed, it goes away.

What happens if she imagines an object appearing or being created?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:She'd make a great advertising spokescritter for "Toys 'R Not."
A perfect foil to the kid who says, "Make me." after being told to clean their room. She'd clean it in seconds.

(No, I can proudly say this has never happened with me and my son. He asks to wait for the weekend so he can get help and also to not interfere with school days.)
Grantwhy wrote:It will never cease to delight me how 'little ones' pick-up and use correctly 'adult' words in appropriate situations :)

I have fond memories of my niece at the age of ... um ... 2~ish? accidentally knocking over a full glass of water and using words her father would use in the same situation.

I never heard her use those words before (or since), but I think the ability to match specific words (inappropriate they may be) to specific situations as young ages is a impressive thing.
This exactly.

I remember posting this on one of the earlier WS forums shortly after it happened, but here it is in all its adorable, embarrassing(for my Mother) glory.

My son was about 14 months old, and was playing with these magnetic Thomas trains on the stone floor at my Mother's tailor shop.
One train in the line would tilt over, fall, he'd pick it up.
Repeat about three times, and this tiny, "Oh shi~!" Comes out from around my son's general direction. Happens again, same phrase. (This being my Mother's fave phrase when the thread breaks had me smartly trying not to laugh/acknowledge it).

My Mother asks him what he said.

My son : "Oh shi~!"

My Mother: "Excuse me?" *panics*

My son(smiling happily): " Oh shi~, yes Grandmama?"

My Mother: "Nonononono sweetie! Don't copy Grandma."

This was the point I walked out back, shut the door, and fell to my knees laughing.

File it under kids say the most remarkable things.

Shortly after, my Mother installed a swear piggy to stop this, and when the bank was full, my son would get dinner and usually an outfit.

To this day, my son can't abide swearing, and let's evetyone know to leave the language at the door or feed the pig. He and his friends have had many a pizza party on us growed ups over the years.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Grantwhy wrote:It will never cease to delight me how 'little ones' pick-up and use correctly 'adult' words in appropriate situations :)

I remember a wonderful short story from some years ago... possibly by de Camp or Pratt?... with a scene involving a family driving along a dark, muddy, slippery road late one rainy night, with the headlights of the occasional oncoming car almost blinding the father/driver.

In the back seat, the little girl in the family rhythmically chanted "Summon a biss! Summon a biss! Summon a biss!"

"Don't say 'summon a biss'," said her father, "it isn't polite." Then, as the headlights of an oncoming truck blasted through the gust-driven rain and completely obscured the road markings, the father began to mutter exactly the phrase that the little girl had been mimicing... 8-)
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

illiad wrote:
sheik wrote:While Castela is looking past my right shoulder, Kath seems to be looking past my left.
I can see why Castela is miffed at losing her toys, but I'm mystified by what Kath seems to be seeing that hasn't attracted Castela's attention.
you have never just 'starred into space' while being flummoxed???? :D

Oh, yeah and *someone* is getting tired of toys hitting her in the head from nowhere.... :/
I don't this is a case of stare-of-the-goat.

She's definitely looking at someone or something.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

eee wrote:Oh yes, Lily's grandchild in behavior, if not biology. :D
GlytchMeister wrote:
<snip>

I'd be really impressed if Castela could actually pull off the "Be Not" spell without the Universe fighting back or blowing up the surrounding city or something.
The universe is afraid of Castela. :lol:

I wonder who Kath is going to call for help on this. I would imagine she'll start with Phix or Bud, since Monica is off having her psyche Jetted. Maybe Cricket can shed some light on Blackthorn destructive capacity.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

This is starting to look like direct matter-energy conversion.

We've moved beyond "whatsit" to "physics-defying demigoddess," I think. And way before puberty, even!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

starkruzr wrote:This is starting to look like direct matter-energy conversion.

We've moved beyond "whatsit" to "physics-defying demigoddess," I think. And way before puberty, even!
That much matter being converted to energy would look less like a puny firework and more like a multi-megaton bomb. I mean, a quarter-pounder with cheese and bacon is 3 megatons of TNT. A toy tank, depending on how big and dense it is (small cheap plastic toy versus large metal replica toy) could be anywhere between 1 and 5 megatons of TNT.

And we know Pickle isn't containing an explosion of that magnitude, seeing as her falling down the stairs can completely unravel her body.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

GlytchMeister wrote:
starkruzr wrote:This is starting to look like direct matter-energy conversion.

That much matter being converted to energy would look less like a puny firework and more like a multi-megaton bomb. I mean, a quarter-pounder with cheese and bacon is 3 megatons of TNT. A toy tank, depending on how big and dense it is (small cheap plastic toy versus large metal replica toy) could be anywhere between 1 and 5 megatons of TNT.

And we know Pickle isn't containing an explosion of that magnitude, seeing as her falling down the stairs can completely unravel her body.
Long ago i saw my first impossible equipment failure. There was simply no way for that thing to do what it did. Defied the laws of science as i was taught in school. I spent hours trying to figure out how it was doing what it was doing. My boss at the time MSgt Hess finally noticed i was overdue and called to check up on me. He told me the answer was simple, its goddamned magic now change it out and bring your ass back to base airman. I think we have the same case here, its magic, dont worry about how it works. Now reckon the Ducks will win the Stanley cup this year or will i be saved from listening to my youngest cheering about that for the next 12 months?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

They need to check Castela over very carefully for a slightly-darkened area that wasn't there before...

(The third panel at that link is perhaps the scariest panel I've ever seen in any comic anywhere.)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Warrl wrote:They need to check Castela over very carefully for a slightly-darkened area that wasn't there before...

(The third panel at that link is perhaps the scariest panel I've ever seen in any comic anywhere.)
Yay Pandora!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

How about we simply check the inventory of Atsali's 'booby cave' and see what might have showed up?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Out of the mouths of babes....

Come things we shouldn't have said in the first place.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:And we know Pickle isn't containing an explosion of that magnitude, seeing as her falling down the stairs can completely unravel her body.
Containing, no. But perhaps channeling it away to elsewhere?

Monica: "Why do my islands keep blowing up?!?"
Sgt. Howard wrote:How about we simply check the inventory of Atsali's 'booby cave' and see what might have showed up?
That might be a bit of a dangerous inventory for most people to take. . .
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:And we know Pickle isn't containing an explosion of that magnitude, seeing as her falling down the stairs can completely unravel her body.
Containing, no. But perhaps channeling it away to elsewhere?

Monica: "Why do my islands keep blowing up?!?"
Sgt. Howard wrote:How about we simply check the inventory of Atsali's 'booby cave' and see what might have showed up?
That might be a bit of a dangerous inventory for most people to take. . .
Especially since she stopped by the hardware store and bought those mouse traps.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.