Now what 2015-01-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
oldmanmickey

Re: Now what 2015-01-28

Post by oldmanmickey »

and yes i am starting to wonder if some of my posts are going to show up before tomorrow night update
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

shadowinthelight wrote:Off topic: Is the site responding slower than a Greenland shark for everyone else?
My internet has been very slow for days, much slower than the 50 Mb/s i have been paying for. I'm currently showing 20Mb/s on Speedtest.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

zachariah wrote:Atsali maybe should change her name to Dabbler?
Same thought here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Off topic: Is the site responding slower than a Greenland shark for everyone else?
Yes, I noticed that too....
Yup, saw it here too. Seemed to "ping" fast enough but the web-server responses have been sluggish.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Not tonight (currently connected via free McD wi-fi), but last night site was 404 for awhile.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Haven't noticed any slowdown or anything, but I''m on my IPad.

I agree about the similarities to Lucy, though in 'Sali's place it's more "too many brains" and not "too much brains".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Grantwhy wrote:
Thor wrote: Survive when others don't, defeat things others couldn't = promotion up the ladder of responsibility
We used to call this 'Advancing your career the Klingon Way'..., but really it's from the Alternate Universe of 'Mirror, Mirror'...
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Grantwhy wrote:
Thor wrote:Oh, Tsillah. . . .

Someone remind me why you have been placed into any sort of position that resembles authority?

(My guess: Nepotism.)
(a) She is either hard to kill or *VERY* hard to kill
(b) She is capable of causing severe damage/injury and/or destruction/death to most things in the Wapsiverse

*if* we use Phix as a guide, in Waspivers paranormal bureaucracies, (a)+(b) = you can kill and devour someone at your place of work, or just rip someone's face off (sorry, not providing links :() and keep your job. Anyone who complains about this can be subjected to (b) :shock:

Yes, the Library is probably a special kind of paranormal bureaucracy, but in those two examples I gave, the reaction of paranormals those used to 'the system' seems to have been "So what?")

I suspect Tsillah (and Thymbris) both meet the requirements for (a), and also (b) when motivated.

Survive when others don't, defeat things others couldn't = promotion up the ladder of responsibility

ps: Atsali has shown that when she isn't thinking she is quite capable of causing injury .... survive this mission, and the next few and Atsali might be climbing the MIB ladder of responsibility :)
Don't be too quick. The Library is outside and over the MIB with limited interaction. MIB strikes me more as a place to put the more proactive paranormals under supervision to keep their impulses under control. Tsillah and Thymbris are typical examples, powerful but not prone to thinking things out ahead.

Atsali is heading for uber agent agent status beyone MIB like her mother (Kathrine), not physically powerful but smart and wise beyond her years. The rest will be her willing subordinates by mission end.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/stay-out-of-her-way/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Granted, Tsillah says she was fascinated by Atsali's Most Common Superpower, bu i'd like to point out that given relative heights, sightlines and their relative positions, she wouldn't be able to see Atsali's eyes if she was trying.

Unless she has X-Ray Vision.

==============

Okay - looking back, it's not QUITE that bad.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

TazManiac wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:
Thor wrote: Survive when others don't, defeat things others couldn't = promotion up the ladder of responsibility
We used to call this 'Advancing your career the Klingon Way'..., but really it's from the Alternate Universe of 'Mirror, Mirror'...
I think it was also used as a plot device(?) in Starship Troopers (book and movie)

In our universe, I believe it is called 'field promotions'

:shock:

oh dear, it's even got it's own TV Tropes page?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

JSStryker wrote:
zachariah wrote:Atsali maybe should change her name to Dabbler?
Exactly what I was thinking! :D
Raise your hand if you're hoping for a cameo from Sydney and Maxima.
"Oooh shiney.So that's what that one does!"
"Dabbler, you've got experience with this, where are we?"
"I don't know, but I think we've found one of the resident supers."
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

jwhouk wrote:Haven't noticed any slowdown or anything, but I''m on my IPad.

I agree about the similarities to Lucy, though in 'Sali's place it's more "too many brains" and not "too much brains".
As previously mentioned, Hollywood dropped the ball on the science (as per usual). The whole 10% thing comes from some newspaper misquoting a study to make the headline more attention grabbing.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Granted, Tsillah says she was fascinated by Atsali's Most Common Superpower, bu i'd like to point out that given relative heights, sightlines and their relative positions, she wouldn't be able to see Atsali's eyes if she was trying.

Unless she has X-Ray Vision.

==============

Okay - looking back, it's not QUITE that bad.
I seem to recall some arbitrary rule in accordance with cup size. Something to the affect of 'if they're over E's, it doesn't count as gay'.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hypnotized

It's the same kind of story
That seems to come down from long ago
Two friends having coffee together
When Adventure flies in the window.
It might be in a dark cave,
Through a door, at the end of a fall,
But you're a teen, and you're a Siren,
And you hear the mystery's call
Seems like a dream
They got you hypnotized

It seems like a dream
Got me hypnotized

Now it's not a meaningless question
To ask if you're truly alone
You walk through the darkness and hit someone strange
And she's made out of bone
You meet a young Shadow girl who knows all
About the roots of your quest
But she can't answer questions 'cause she's entranced
By the sight of your chest
Seems like a dream
You've got her hypnotized

It seems like a dream
Got me hypnotized

They say there's a place in Mapimi
Where the walls still steam and glow
There's a mystery signal from somewhere
And it's from a place you must not go
But you're the New Generation of Wapsi
And your star's now on the rise
So your fate and your friends' will depend
On what you do, when you're hypnotized
Seems like a dream
They got you hypnotized

It seems like a dream
Got me hypnotized
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I suggested Dabbler due to two similarities. Part succubus and well endowed. For more details check out Grrl Power.http://grrlpowercomic.com/
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
sheik

Post by sheik »

[quote="Grantwhy"
Survive when others don't, defeat things others couldn't = promotion up the ladder of responsibility/quote]

We used to call this 'Advancing your career the Klingon Way'..., but really it's from the Alternate Universe of 'Mirror, Mirror'...[/quote]
I think it was also used as a plot device(?) in Starship Troopers (book and movie)

In our universe, I believe it is called 'field promotions'

:shock:

oh dear, it's even got it's own TV Tropes page?[/quote]

Field Promotions are real (at least in the U.S. Army) and not necessarily due to attrition.
I served with a Korean War veteran who commanded a 4.2" mortar battery firing in support of Turkish troops.
The Turks were about to be overrun by a Chinese human wave attack when Sgt Hill ordered his men to "burn the tubes", that is ruin them by firing them as rapidly as possible.
The Turks survived and Sgt. Hill became Captain Hill for the duration of his tour.
He ended his career still in the 45th Infantry as a National Guardsman, as a Sergeant First Class, but retired at his highest rank, Captain.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Thor wrote:Someone remind me why you have been placed into any sort of position that resembles authority?
Well, in spite of her perpetual tsilliness, she is apparently a rather powerful individual. Her abilities may very well be quite useful on occasion. And having somebody like her not in the organisation somewhere where they can keep an eye on her might be an even more perilous course.

Besides, who better to be in an authority position in a shadowy organisation?
lake_wrangler wrote:
I don't know... Is that slower than molasses would be in January? If so then yes...

Then again, even if the molasses were slower than the sharks, the result would be the same: the site would still be slower than the shark...
What about a Greenland shark swimming in molasses?

Regardless, things are working fine for me some fifteen hours or so after all this. . .
sheik wrote:Field Promotions are real (at least in the U.S. Army) and not necessarily due to attrition.
I served with a Korean War veteran who commanded a 4.2" mortar battery firing in support of Turkish troops.
The Turks were about to be overrun by a Chinese human wave attack when Sgt Hill ordered his men to "burn the tubes", that is ruin them by firing them as rapidly as possible.
The Turks survived and Sgt. Hill became Captain Hill for the duration of his tour.
He ended his career still in the 45th Infantry as a National Guardsman, as a Sergeant First Class, but retired at his highest rank, Captain.
The "fun" thing about them, of course, is that oftentimes after everything is settled down for a bit the promotion just sort of evaporates away. So you get all of the responsibility, but no lasting benefit (or higher pay).

Atsali might end up leading this mission, but still end up being officially treated as extra baggage.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Big Bird wants to show she's capable, and as long as she's focused, she might just prove it.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Before we move on: Nadette looks like a little kid in momma's arms in that first panel.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

kingklash wrote:Big Bird wants to show she's capable, and as long as she's focused, she might just prove it.
i don't think it's to show that she is "capable"... i think it's her going "OH Shit!... these dingbat's are making it impossible for me and Nadette to get out of here... ALIVE!..." then, in her Library-going, Adventurer Seeking Siren's mind, she's going "Hmmm. What would The Dread Pirate Roberts do?!" THAT'S when she realizes she needs to know, and know it RIGHT NOW, what her inventory of equipment and personnel are... as per the TV Tropes page linked to by Sheik, it seems to me that she's invoking the "YOU are in Command now" trope... She's in charge because the others are ... well, simply put, they're NOT "in charge"...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac