Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sidhekin

Re: Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Post by Sidhekin »

Q: For someone who according to Phix and Nudge hardly ever speaks, the Bibliotheki sure seems to boss the GGs and the MiB around. But I believe we've only once heard the Bibliotheki answer a question. Whose?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Offhand, I remember the Library speaking twice:
  • When it recognized Monica's new designation as Jaguar Girl. But it spoke on its own accord, not after having been asked anything. So obviously, this is not it.
  • When Phix brought Nudge back to the Library, and she thought she wouldn't have to stay in the Library anymore, now that Nudge was back. The Library disagreed somewhat...
    In that instance, the Library spoke in reply to Nudge, and on the next page, in reply to Phix. However, in both cases, neither one actually asked a question directly to the Library. Nudge was talking to Phix, and while Phix was addressing the Library, she did not formulate her speech in the form of a question. So I'm not sure that counts... Is this it?
If the second one is not what you were looking for, I'm going to actually have to look for it, rather than go to those two places which I knew how to find...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There was one other time (technically): "Parameters?"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:There was one other time (technically): "Parameters?"
Considering there was an actual question asked, followed by a reply and an action on the part of the Library, you probably have the right answer.

Now, we just need Sidhekin to confirm...
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

jwhouk wrote:There was one other time (technically): "Parameters?"
That's the answer I had in mind, yes. Now to figure out why Phix and Nudge don't hear the Library speak on such mundane occasions, huh? 8-)

Ah, but first: Your question?

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

We really need to consider making this into a Trivial Pursuit(tm) type game: categories and such.

In light of today's comic:

What other character "snuck up" on someone by surprise - with a more annoyed response?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Related note - I think we have our categories:
  • Monica
  • The Golem Girls
  • Events and Happenings
  • Demons and Supernaturals
  • The Library
  • Potpourri
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

jwhouk wrote:In light of today's comic:

What other character "snuck up" on someone by surprise - with a more annoyed response?
Justin? I'm not sure if "annoyed" covers Shelly's reaction, though ...

Oh wait, Monica? Amanda's initial response was "Aauugh!" but the followup sure expressed annoyance.

And then, Tepoz snuck up on M several times, and I guess her default reaction to Tepoz is annoyance ...

ETA: Oh, and Dietzel? In the clown mask? M's initial response was "SQUEEAL!" but yeah, I'd say she was annoyed.

EATA: And Tepoz on Shelly? "Geezus! Don't sneak up on me like that!" Annoyed enough? She was more annoyed by the next strip though ...

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

There's also the time Bud poited into the garage, just after Jin had also visited Shelly, and Shelly was annoyed, until she figured out it was Bud.

Brandi also poited in on Shelly, but the result was more embarrassing than annoying... (I hope that's you, Brandi, or it's going to be real awkward when I take these goggles off, said she, with her hands planted accidentally yet firmly on Brandi's chest)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No squealing was involved. However, the word "insect" was.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I know it's not what you're looking for, but this is too funny an encounter to pass up: the first time we saw Katherine, she inadvertently snuck up on Monica. I say inadvertently as in, she was merely walking silently, not actually trying to surprise Monica, yet surprise her she did... :lol:

*Going back to my search for the answer...*
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I knew I remembered Shelly referring to Luci as a friggen little insect but alas, it wasn't in the context sought after for this question...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

This might be it, though... Although Shelly was not trying to sneak up on Luci, Luci sure was annoyed at Shelly's presence there, claiming that "Every time you come here you do something childish to sneak past me." Yeah, she's definitely annoyed. And on the next page, when Luci finds Shelly waiting in the waiting room,Shelly does call Luci a little insect, to her face...

I think I'll wait for confirmation on this one, before I look further.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote:This might be it, though... Although Shelly was not trying to sneak up on Luci, Luci sure was annoyed at Shelly's presence there, claiming that "Every time you come here you do something childish to sneak past me." Yeah, she's definitely annoyed. And on the next page, when Luci finds Shelly waiting in the waiting room,Shelly does call Luci a little insect, to her face...

I think I'll wait for confirmation on this one, before I look further.
That was what I was looking for. I know, badly designed question, but it fit the concept of today's strip.

So - in light of the six categories I suggested, let's go with a question from (rolls dice, comes up "5") "The Library" next!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:That was what I was looking for. I know, badly designed question, but it fit the concept of today's strip.
Actually, your question was just fine.
jwhouk wrote:What other character "snuck up" on someone by surprise - with a more annoyed response?
While Shelly was not trying to sneak up on Luci, she did show up quietly, which did surprise Luci. Luci's response was definitely annoyance, too: she complained on the very next page that Shelly usually does try to sneak up on her. And your hint was spot on, as well: immediately, I thought it might be something Shelly or Phix would say (though I did keep an open mind, and looked throughout for any sneaking up, not just something with Shelly or Phix)... At first, I wasn't sure about whom it would be directed at (I thought it might apply to Tepoz, for one...) Then I remembered Shelly calling Luci a friggen insect, so I narrowed my search a little.

Indeed, your question, and hint, were just fine.
jwhouk wrote:So - in light of the six categories I suggested, let's go with a question from (rolls dice, comes up "5") "The Library" next!
Something's wrong with your die, I think: my die rolled a seven - Supporting Characters :P
Last edited by lake_wrangler on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Category: Supporting Characters

Q: Where does Owen work?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Music Bin. Unsure if it's a record store or a musical instrument store.

Category: Locations - Where did Amanda take Monica to buy a bicycle? (I'm pretty sure that hasn't been asked already.)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

MerchManDan wrote:Music Bin. Unsure if it's a record store or a musical instrument store.
My guess would be that it's a record store, where the records are possibly, but not necessarily, being held in bins. The name is reminiscent of how some stores have "bargain bins". Those bins won't hold instruments, but they can be just the right size for records.
MerchManDan wrote:Category: Locations - Where did Amanda take Monica to buy a bicycle? (I'm pretty sure that hasn't been asked already.)
No, that question has not been asked, specifically. I won't say more, for now, until someone says the answer. I also won't answer, for reasons that will make sense once the answer has been given.

I would also strongly suggest that we do not need, nor might we want to, list what Wapsi Trivia category the question falls into (unless we do so once the answer is given), no matter how amusing it might be to do so... Imagine asking a question about someone, without naming said character, but using a category, such as Monica, or Supporting Character, or something... it may be all the hint necessary for someone to answer the question... Or having a really nebulous question, but the naming of the category breaks the effect and gives away part of the answer...
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

MerchManDan wrote:Category: Locations - Where did Amanda take Monica to buy a bicycle? (I'm pretty sure that hasn't been asked already.)
Lake Cycles.

Not the trickiest of questions; you identified the scene, so all I had to do to find the answer, was look it up.

(Usually, I'd try to turn it around, making people go look for the scene, but the name "Lake Cycles" would kinda give away the scene already ... at which point I'd go about finding a different question ... which is what I should be doing right now anyway ...)

Okay ...

Q: Who discussed the utility and associated limiting factors of sea mammals?

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And now, the reason I recused myself from answering the previous question: A question had been asked earlier, wanting to know what exactly Monica had bought for 1556.85 (the bike and equipment). The hint given later was somewhat inaccurate (by accident), and I was looking at the strips based on the hint. I mentioned the right strip, commenting on the fact that the last panel referred to something else she had bought in the past for a certain amount (different from the amount hinted at). I was told to look at my linked comic again, and realized I had stumbled on it by accident...