Lands on Her Feet 2014-09-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Lands on Her Feet 2014-09-26

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: The Library ought to have a locator system.
It does - she hasn't been shown how to use the touch-grid system, though.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Monica was in a hurry to reach the ground floor of the Atrium in a hurry thanks to Shelly. She thinks Cricket jumped trying to commit suicide because of how frightened Cricket was of her. She is also assuming that shrinking Deitzel was a deliberate act and that Cricket knows Deitzel belongs to her. Both of these assumptions are wrong, again thanks to Shelly.
To try and rescue the fatally falling Fae Monica jumped and did a superhero landing to save the Fae. Next she will look up and around frantically for Cricket and think WTF when she cannot find her. Phix should then appear dragging Shelly by an ear to explain the misunderstanding. These things happen when you act without thinking.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Aed wrote:
jwhouk wrote:She's gone straight to PLAID!
Indeed - Ludicrous Speed!
my first thought as well.

I suspect people under a certain age would think 'super saiyan' instead of 'gone plaid'?

So, what's the correct protocol for requesting someone to fan-art this page with actual plaid?

:)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

jwhouk wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: The Library ought to have a locator system.
It does - she hasn't been shown how to use the touch-grid system, though.
Or she's in full-on panic mode and isn't thinking
zachariah wrote:Monica was in a hurry to reach the ground floor of the Atrium in a hurry thanks to Shelly. She thinks Cricket jumped trying to commit suicide because of how frightened Cricket was of her. She is also assuming that shrinking Deitzel was a deliberate act and that Cricket knows Deitzel belongs to her. Both of these assumptions are wrong, again thanks to Shelly.
To try and rescue the fatally falling Fae Monica jumped and did a superhero landing to save the Fae. Next she will look up and around frantically for Cricket and think WTF when she cannot find her. Phix should then appear dragging Shelly by an ear to explain the misunderstanding. These things happen when you act without thinking.

Next person to hit full-on panic mode- Cricket, when she finds out who's dog she shrank.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

• Somebody Somewhat Insecure: "Does this make my butt look fat?"

Shelly: "Yes."
Shelly's problem is not honesty by any means, it's context. And if she walks in on a situation oblivious to context, she's simply honest -- and then comes the Boom!
  • "Give me a match -- I think my gas tank's empty."

Shelly: "Ok -- I think I've got one here somewhere..."
Etc.

I mean, really! Shelly sees Callista with a big smile, running around with mini-Dietzel, and being acrobatic. So, she comments on it. Is it really her fault she didn't lead with the next sentence? The Klutz part was saying "in a mood" and not "in a Good/Fun/Happy mood". Monica was primed for disaster, reacted, and has gone off half-cocked.

Film at eleven. Resolution on Monday.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

My2Cents wrote:Monica just arrived at the ground floor.

Too bad Castela, Dietzel, and the spider stopped on 117. Wonder if Monica can backtrack that fast.
BINGO!
eee

Post by eee »

That's a VERY impressive panicked dash and landing!

I hope the things flying up in the air are bits of the Library floor, or piece of debris, and not the remains of M's shoes.

I also hope she didn't land right in front of Calista, or the little Fae may have a heart attack...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Next time M goes dancing at the club, she can be her own disco ball.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:Next time M goes dancing at the club, she can be her own disco ball.
Sparkling and shining, while in a Library? Monica has joined the glitterati!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

1. If Monica left after Panel 2, missing Panel 3 entirely, she doesn't know that Deitzel is with Calista on the descent.

2. If Calista were actually in free fall, as Monica is likely assuming, the chance of Monica free-falling and landing before her is pretty low. Nonzero, because Monica has a much higher mass/surface ratio than Calista and therefore a higher terminal velocity, but Calista had a significant head start. Perhaps Monica looked down and then poited to a lower altitude.

3. Monica should realize soon that Calista cannot commit suicide just by jumping off of something and smashing into the ground below. (As has been discussed, she's unlikely to take even a minor injury.) And that this is common knowledge among the Fae. So, if Calista were suicidal, it wouldn't occur to her to try that approach. Therefore, she's up to something else entirely.

4. Who knows what's lurking in the bottom floor of the Library?
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Warrl wrote:4. Who knows what's lurking in the bottom floor of the Library?
Well, we know there is a Minotaur ... http://wapsisquare.com/comic/run-for-it/
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
misterkrek

Post by misterkrek »

While M deals with the Minotaur and his mom at the bottom, Calista's swinging crew should be dealing with the Master Chief...
(c'mon, someone had to point this out)
sheik

Post by sheik »

I'm wondering just where the heck Monica thinks she's going.
AFAIK she has no idea where the merry little group was to begin with, much less where they're bound.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

My2Cents wrote:
Warrl wrote:4. Who knows what's lurking in the bottom floor of the Library?
Well, we know there is a Minotaur ... http://wapsisquare.com/comic/run-for-it/
That minotaur should meet Basil.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Aleister Crow wrote:
Next person to hit full-on panic mode- Cricket, when she finds out who's dog she shrank.
well, since he seems to be having fun, and seems to have shrunken really small.. M may not even notice them...
NOTE that those spiders can be only a few MM long.. :O (check Thursday carefully..:) )

- or, they managed to find the right book to bring them back to real size, so Dietzel could be just sitting there , with calista hiding behind... :p
Dave

Post by Dave »

sheik wrote:I'm wondering just where the heck Monica thinks she's going.
AFAIK she has no idea where the merry little group was to begin with, much less where they're bound.
Shelly said that Calista "jumped off the atrium ledge" which would imply pretty strongly that Calista (and possibly Dietzel) are falling within the atrium. That's the comment that pushed Monica into her rather panicked dash.

Based on Monica's reaction I think we might assume that the atrium is a really tall one which gives access to the lower floors of the Library... all three-hundred-and-some, based on Calista's reference to "Floor 117" and "go down two hundred plus floors".

Either that, or Monica was just in the mood to pretend she's a submarine... "Dive, dive!"
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, she knew that they had only a moment before been in mid-air in the atrium. She then went straight to the obvious place where she's thinking that she'll meet Calista, either pre- or post-splat.

As for using the directory or poiting or whatever, making rational use of your available resources first requires you to be in a rational state of mind. Blind panic is not usually the best mode for optimal decision making.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Catawampus wrote:
Well, she knew that they had only a moment before been in mid-air in the atrium. She then went straight to the obvious place where she's thinking that she'll meet Calista, either pre- or post-splat.

As for using the directory or poiting or whatever, making rational use of your available resources first requires you to be in a rational state of mind. Blind panic is not usually the best mode for optimal decision making.
No it is not, but it is a great way to teach two stones with one bir ... I mean lesson. :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Maybe more than two. I think Phix will be having a long heart to heart with Shelly, right after they get back from the hospital. Some one is gonna have to remove her paw from Shelly's rear end.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Shelly takes after her mother.

Oh, she has good bits of her grandma in her, and the hard work ethic of her dad, but she is absolutely oblivious to things - just like Mama Bia. (Here I go again, cause I, have to pay the pun jar...)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin