Behind You 2014-07-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sphinx-Napped

Re: Behind You 2014-07-10

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND in this corner that always seem to make the most scary entrance aunt Monica AKA jaguar girl
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

Of course, this might not be Monica; it might be one of Da Bears. Seems a little mean for either of them, but it's possible.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, I'm pretty sure that's Monica. That is one of her dresses.

(looks around) What?

---

Tomorrow's strip:

MONICA: "Atsali, I told you not to call me when I was at work! I was in the middle of a meeting!"
ATSALI: "Sorry, Aunt Monica."
CALISTA: "Huhguhbuhwha... Wait, what?"
MONICA: "Unggghh... (putting out the astral fire as she re-assumes human "form") ...So, what's the problem?"
CALISTA: "Who... Who dafuq are YOU?"
MONICA: "I work with Atsali's mom. I'm also the Jaguar Girl. Nice to meet you."
CALISTA: "MEEP!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

eee wrote:Hopefully Cricket gets through this without pants wetting.
That shouldn't be too difficult, seeing as she's wearing a skirt... :P
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Castela would absolutely LOVE this entrance, and wonder why she didn't do that at Show & Tell.
Skruddgemire

Post by Skruddgemire »

kingklash wrote:Castela would absolutely LOVE this entrance, and wonder why she didn't do that at Show & Tell.
Because you couldn't drop that sort of entrance on kids that age without having a bunch of pants wetting. Hell I'm not sure I could survive that sort of entrance without pulling a Arnold Rimmer-esq..."Well it's been a few years since I've done that"
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

And after thát big shock, there's....

Big-Boob-Mo(n)m-hug!!!!. :D

And a clean pair of knickers. Mygoodness. If Cricket "squeezes one away in fear" I am afraid that only dogs will be able to hear it.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Yes Monica was told before hand, Cricket was not.

Crickets parents behaved like typical royalty and fae. Only see the kids when it is scheduled. But they did not arrange for tutors, or care givers. Again fairly typical for Fae. Now being royalty explains the guards and sequestering of Cricket. where they messed up was no nanny.

One question is did Monica change her size, or did crickets glamour get canceled? But Monica definetly made an entrance to really impress cricket. What makes me wonder is why at lunch? Such a public display has to have a purpose. I hope it does not make Cricket feel publicly humiliated again. Could be it is to make a point to every one. Cause enough trouble and you to can end up under Monica's care.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It might be that only Calista is seeing this "vision".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Thor wrote:Does Monica even work at the museum any more? This shepherding/mentoring/jaguaring has to take up quite a few hours of each day. I suppose curating an exhibit is easier when you can just poit everything into the right place, but that's not the whole job.
Her life has been financed at least since her family's suit against the mental institution. Tepoz once effectively promised her immortality and limitless wealth. Jin would probably lend her a few million, on top of buying islands as necessary. So it's not like she needs the paycheck.

It's not unusual for someone, even a young professional, to hold down two jobs these days. I'd imagine she's keeping her day job, because it's a great cover for paranormal investigation, and she gets to see Kath every day. And she's seen the need to lean more humble, and less queen-of-the-earth.
Thor wrote:On a different note, I'm not sure of what powers she does and doesn't have anymore. Teleportation, immortality, able to leap from tall buildings safely, demon-bossing, soul-walking, and presence attack. Did I miss anything?
Glyph Reading, Astral Fire, and, most importantly in this instance...

...Gleaning Fear.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

zachariah wrote:Crickets parents behaved like typical royalty and fae. Only see the kids when it is scheduled. But they did not arrange for tutors, or care givers. Again fairly typical for Fae. Now being royalty explains the guards and sequestering of Cricket. where they messed up was no nanny.
My thoughts exactly! What is Fae culture, much less royal fae culture, and how does it work? Why do they (the parents) have a presence in the human world, such that their daughter would be abandoned to servants in a human world location?

I'm thinking of The Incredibles and the Parr super-family adrift in the suburbs... but why?

Lots and lots of back story to explore here.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Aed

Post by Aed »

Astral flame on! :shock:

Since Monica can sense what is feared the most and can interact with someone on a separate plain of existence, I am guessing that the full display is visible only to Calista and Monica. Nadette, as a seer, may have some inkling as to what is going on, but I suspect that the other people present only see Monica standing behind or near Calista, Atsali, Nadette, and Berdine.

Paul has set the stage for an interesting story arc, I look forward to the next installments. Hopefully, we'll see a bit more Friday.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! JAGUAR GIRL!

Cricket says her parents "threatened" her with Jaguar Girl. In that context, maybe this was not the best choice of entrances Monica could have chosen...

Love the color, tho!
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Atomic wrote:
zachariah wrote:Crickets parents behaved like typical royalty and fae. Only see the kids when it is scheduled. But they did not arrange for tutors, or care givers. Again fairly typical for Fae. Now being royalty explains the guards and sequestering of Cricket. where they messed up was no nanny.
My thoughts exactly! What is Fae culture, much less royal fae culture, and how does it work? Why do they (the parents) have a presence in the human world, such that their daughter would be abandoned to servants in a human world location?

I'm thinking of The Incredibles and the Parr super-family adrift in the suburbs... but why?

Lots and lots of back story to explore here.
Anyone, privileged or not, Fae or not, who is ignored by his/her parents is going to have problems. That said, I'm certain once Monica takes Cricket under her wing there will eventually be some sort of confrontation with the Fae royalty...
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

The thought may never even have occurred to them.

I honestly think the fae just don't have the necessary maturity to be parents. I don't recall any stories that involved a fae that was a good, responsible parent; usually, it's the opposite. Too fickle, too whimsical, too eager to avoid responsibility. But gone are the days when a fae could just swap its child with some peasant farmers' and trick them into raising it (never was clear on what the fae did with the human child). Nowadays, the MiB probably takes a very dim view of that.

And so Mom and Pop tried to do the responsible thing and raise their own kid. Well, have the servants do it, but that's the same, right? Of course it is. And they did such a great job of it, too, by keeping her away from all of- SHE DID WHAT?!

And they probably don't have the slightest clue where they went wrong, if they even thought they did.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Nice to see that Monica is Keeping Her Kirby Hand Strong!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Aleister Crow wrote:But gone are the days when a fae could just swap its child with some peasant farmers' and trick them into raising it (never was clear on what the fae did with the human child).
It wasn't so much getting a fae child raised by a mortal - in fact, in most versions of the story, the changeling is like Cricket's "friends" - a thing made of gossamer and moonshine, that "sickens" and "dies" - the fae have no creativity (or souls) of their own, and they raise human children they steal in order to bring creativity to their realms.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
sheik

Post by sheik »

A few notes on the discussion above.
First, I think Monica's "Presence Attack" was so effective that Cricket has actually not only shrunk but has regressed into a more child-like form.
Second, the Fae are probably not immune to Demons. IIRC the Demons seek out ALL sapient life and infest it.
And Third, Yes, the Kirby Krackle does seem to be alive and well.
I wonder, does Monica collect Marvel comics as well as amplifier tubes?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Seems like Monica has become quite adept at channeling Phix's threatening demeanor. I half expect her to ask Cricket if she wants to answer a question. We all saw how well that went with Katherine... hehe
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
loxmyth

Post by loxmyth »

Hm. I had my doubts about this entrance. On the other hand, given Cricket's issues (her own and her clan's), a quick dominance display might not be a bad idea. "Let's get this out of the way now: You do NOT mess with me. Have a cookie, dear?"