Be Still 2014-04-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Be Still 2014-04-28

Post by zachariah »

themadkansan wrote:...that is more than just Mother Voice and Full Name Invocation.

there is something reaching up from below in that voice, and it looks like more than one set of pupils looking out, nor would it surprise me if her voice had a chorus in it.

This is SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED.

,,,=O!O=,,,
I must point out it was NOT a full name invocation. As we all know there are three steps to MOM VOICE. Your name only, then first and middle names, and the all three names. The second stage is bad enough but getting Mom mad enough to use all three is not a happy thought. So Kathy has another level of Mom voice to use on them if need be. This does show how strong her command voice is though. I suspect the +6 effect of being a gestalt combination of ethians enhances the effect as well as the military background.

I did notice that both of them responded by changing their look to appearing younger. Sali looks like she went back to 10 years old and Castela lost vines, probably looks like a younger plant still growing. This implies that Kathy will have this power over them the rest of their lives.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
trainer

Post by trainer »

Outstanding. I love how some of the posters CALLED it. As a Dad with 3 growing up 2 years apart, the Mom Voice was my first thought on Friday...but I didn't know if Kath had developed it yet. It ripens with age and experience.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Morning Options...

One of the best things my parents did for me was distinguish for me How I was as not Who I was. I can see Kath getting the kids up in the morning and challenging them to go Full Form -- Atsali as the 7 foot Siren with wings and claws, and Castel as the thorny tumbleweed/Vine Kracken she is. From there, lead to a talk about differences and goals -- who do you want to be, and how do you become that?

From there, the talk about boundaries, respect, and growing up.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

eep!

I know exactly the tone of voice used.

Ma never had to say all three of our names. She's go as far as first and middle, but after that she would say Pop's name and that would really get our attention. We knew we screwed up if Dad had to get involved.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

If my mom ever used all three names you were in deep shit... and you knew it. There wasn't any "Wait till your father gets home" in my home... Mom took care of serious incidents right then and there while it was still fresh in our mind. The only thing worse was being told to go pick out a switch... and it better not be a dead twig either or SHE would go pick one out and you didn't want that!!! Some things you learned were only to be experienced once...

Switches

Dad's Razor Strop

Grouch Medicine
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

My2Cents wrote:Sirena is obvious, but does anyone have an explaination for Enora?
I find two different interpretations at "namng your baby" sites.

Most suggest it's of Greek origin and means something like "shining light" or "ray of sunshine".

One says it's of Breton/French origin and means "honor".

Possibly both are correct... linguistic convergence is fairly common.

I don't have any specific idea why someone would have picked it when naming Castela... it might be for one of these meanings, or might just be an old family name that tradition requires be given to a daughter in every third generation lest some terrible ancient curse be fulfilled ;)
DilyV wrote:Some things you learned were only to be experienced once...

Grouch Medicine
Cod-liver oil, with a chaser of Angostura Bitters? :(
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

My2Cents wrote:Sirena is obvious, but does anyone have an explaination for Enora?
One of the types of Castela bushes is Castela emoryi, kinda sounds similar.
as363

Post by as363 »

Kudos to all that predicted MOTHER VOICE - the CO2 bottle was not needed = that (and the glare and threat of tomorrow) were more than enough . Actually - I think it was a little higher than a 6 - say 7-7.5 . Combined with the glare - that might even stop a charging Rhino in its' tracks.
Dave

Post by Dave »

JSStryker wrote:Katherine has that "I am death incarnate" look in her eyes at the moment!
She reminds me of someone...
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

All we're missing is the lightning & thunderclap.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

MerchManDan wrote:All we're missing is the lightning & thunderclap.
Whew!... for a minute there i thought you meant THIS "lightning and thunderclap", and i'm going "HUH?!, what does that whack-job have to do with raising kids the right way?"... then i clicked on the link you provided, and Yep, that does fit better with the scene than my original thoughts... :lol:
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

So, does Katherine reason for waiting until tomorrow to talk to the girls about their behavior? Perhaps to get them thinking about their impending doom at dawn, and then wind up talking to each other and sorting things out while becoming closer. At least for a little while until the next Sister vs. Sister event! I have two younger sisters, three years apart. There were epic battles between them during Jr. High/High School. :D
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

pinglederry wrote:Interesting that Atsali was angry enough to acquire the facial markings, pointy ears, and black eyes/fangs/claws, but still didn't manifest the bird legs we know she has from earlier shifts (didn't want to scrape up the floor?). So still no shot of complete full-on siren. Ah, well; I live in hope.
Or it could be that there is no single siren form: when she first met Katherine, she was in one full siren form, currently she's in a different full siren form, maybe there's yet more as well. Different forms for different situations. That would explain why Greek art was never able to settle on any one particular look for the sirens, instead going with several different themes.

Corinthian painter: "I'm telling you, I saw a siren once! She was eight feet tall and had legs like a chicken!"
Athenian painter: "Bah, you've been sniffing your paint fumes again! My uncle met a siren once, and she had big claws on her hands and stripes on her face!"