Nothing More Than That 2013-11-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
meisdadoo

Re: Nothing More Than That 2013-11-21

Post by meisdadoo »

Wapsi wrote:You nerds. :P Who said "Kevin"? Just wait until tomorrow. ;)
Just as I suspected. . .

Had a random thought, birds that do a lot of flying have rather strong chest muscles. Atsali has wings, and flys...Probably wont have the same problem "sleepy boobs" problem Monica experienced :roll:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Oh, good! :)

On the other hand, Paul... even if you were to take a private jet flight over to Cork in the next couple of hours, drive over to the castle, spend two hours hanging over the ledge kissing the Blarney Stone, and fly back in time to post tomorrow's strip...

... even if you were to do all of that, I don't think you'd have gained anywhere near to the amount of persuasive powers needed to convince any of us that you didn't know exactly what the reaction to today's strip would be! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our chains have been well and truly yanked - nicely done! :D
JSStryker

Post by JSStryker »

Well that does make me feel better! :)
Vive la weird!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

*hugs* Thank you Paul!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Dave wrote:Our chains have been well and truly yanked - nicely done! :D
... and on that note ...

... you may note ...

... he doesn't say Monica is not talking about Kevin. :P
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sidhekin wrote:... and on that note ...

... you may note ...

exploding_head.jpg
exploding_head.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 9584 times
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Well now.

The flurry of shocked reactions dóes mean that Kevin, as a character, is much liked by the readers. That's cool.

Something else: The sudden embarrassment that M shows in the second frame, shows to me that Monica has in no way become power-crazed and arrogant, contrary to the views of some readers here&there that were -unsettled? By M's unpleasant way of dealing with the Tar. Hot-headed? Yeah, a bit. But hey, she's a latina, after all. My Mom was part Portuguese (and a lovable, booky nerd too) I knów how that works. :D

Monica, deep inside, is still the somewhat insecure geek, (in the most positive sense) that we all love. I líke that little illustration of who she still is, as a person. The power has nòt gone to ger head.

It's one of those things with truly wise people. A lot of them have a very good grasp on their own limitations.

Aaand, then there's the "Shelly's" that have nó clue whatsoever hów much wisdom they in fact offer. :P (although that has improved by leaps and bounds)

@sidhekin

Hah. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kevin, hands folded behind his back, pop-up behind Monica, casually going:"Uhm, I am still here...not running anywhere"
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

We are not nerds. All of us are merely strong fans of the Wapsiverse and it's story. While our attachment may seem overly psychotic, er- emotional is a better word it use, it is still well meant. The thought of Kevin-Monica breakup without any mention of it prior to this severely shook us. An event of that order would cause a lot of ripples. Not only to Monica but to the many others who probably would choose to have strong words with Kevin about it. Except Bud who might feel that it's her chance to catch him on a rebound. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:We are not nerds. All of us are merely strong fans of the Wapsiverse and it's story.
Sing it out!
Say it loud!
I'm a nerd
and I'm proud!

(me, with apologies to the originators of the saying)
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

So the next frame has Kevin holding multiple bags demanding to know who this boyfriend is?

That being said, I could see the man of steel/ woman of Kleenex thing being a real problem. Last thing a guy wants is the woman bursting into Eldridge flames and lots of pointy claws popping out during "that" moment.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

ShirouZhiwu wrote: That being said, I could see the man of steel/ woman of Kleenex thing being a real problem. Last thing a guy wants is the woman bursting into Eldridge flames and lots of pointy claws popping out during "that" moment.
The article does have some bearing but the points made are totally different from Monica and Kevin. Besides maybe Kevin is turned on by furry? Thought it kinda does raise the question could Monica still have children? Her changes would affect the baby and who know what genetic changes her change might cause. Not too sure if Paul ever intended to deal with this point. I suspect he won't. The wedding would be something else to explain, or how it was planned. lol.

If anyone is interested the article refereed to was written by Larry Niven in 1971. It is very funny and makes lots of interesting points about superheros and humans.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

If after Monica's first sentence you toss in the words "back then." it puts things into context. That being said, the words are implied because she is talking about her teenage years and how to relate stuff to a teenager.
To be fair I did my own fair share of freak out and a re-read, before Paul gave us the nerd alert warning. :geek:

Contextually speaking, I don't think Kevin ever thought she was dangerous or unstable. He had quite a few other adjectives to describe her when they first met and was in a tie with Monica for the conclusion long jump competition.
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

zachariah wrote:We are not nerds. All of us are merely strong fans of the Wapsiverse and it's story. While our attachment may seem overly psychotic, er- emotional is a better word it use, it is still well meant.
Quite so. "Nerds" are those who obsess over things like mathematics, astronomy, robotics, geology and other academic stuff. We, on the other hand, obsess over things like Star Trek, Star Wars, anime, comics and other pop culture subjects.
We are "geeks." ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
eee

Post by eee »

Ah, good. There's hope.

But referencing my earlier comment, it'd still be nice if Jin could stop by for a visit occasionally so we can see how she's getting along.
zachariah wrote:We are not nerds. All of us are merely strong fans of the Wapsiverse and it's story. While our attachment may seem overly psychotic, er- emotional is a better word it use, it is still well meant. The thought of Kevin-Monica breakup without any mention of it prior to this severely shook us. An event of that order would cause a lot of ripples. Not only to Monica but to the many others who probably would choose to have strong words with Kevin about it. Except Bud who might feel that it's her chance to catch him on a rebound. lol.
Of course we're nerds. That's why it's so upsetting. It's like the retroactive undoing of Peter and Mary-Jane's marriage, and why that made Marvel so hated at the time. Sometimes, nerds just need the nerd to win!
ShirouZhiwu wrote:
So the next frame has Kevin holding multiple bags demanding to know who this boyfriend is?

That being said, I could see the man of steel/ woman of Kleenex thing being a real problem. Last thing a guy wants is the woman bursting into Eldridge flames and lots of pointy claws popping out during "that" moment.
You're sure? :D
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Wapsi wrote:What lesbian action? Monica isn't a lesbian. Period.
Yeah, she's Irish/Latino, not a northeastern Aegean islander. Sheesh.
zachariah wrote:I can understand about Siren's being considered sexual predators but it is likely mostly to be bad press. From the words it looks like Sali's parents were married and that is not a normal pattern for a female sexual predator.
Assuming that her parents were an actual couple (and not that the reason why they're both dead is, say, her mother ate the father and was then hunted down and killed nine months or so later after Atsali was born), then it could be that her mother was an unusual member of her kind. Similar to Suzie and Lily compared to some other vampires, in a way. Other sirens might not have been quite so considerate towards the males who they attracted.

If her mother was breaking away from the usual pattern of siren behaviour, and if she lived long enough to have some influence on Atsali, then that could also be part of why Atsali is unhappy with her suddenly more sireny nature. She may be afraid of letting her mother's memory down.

Or it could be that sirens are simply misunderstood.

Or all sirens, including Atsali, are actually evil, and this is all part of a complicated fiendish plan by Doctor Custard to get his minions Atsali and Castela close to the Crimson Mantis!
DilyV wrote:I'm curious though... Didn't she tell Amanda that she was okay with who she was where her body was concerned? The strip was the one where Amanda told her maybe her boobs wouldn't be so big if she'd quit watering them... and then Monica spritzed Amanda and claimed the water must be broken. At least it appeared that she'd came to grips with it. It appears we've missed a bunch here somewhere...
When she was talking to Amanda, she said that she had learned to accept that she looked the way she looked. But it also sounded as though she was still worried about the way the rest of the world regarded and treated her, which is the same main worry that Atsali seems to be going on about.
Sidhekin wrote:... and on that note ...

... you may note ...

That was actually my first thought on reading what he wrote and his word choice. Then again, I do have a rather warped and twisted mind and so I figured that that was just my own nefarious nature influencing my interpretation.
eee wrote:But referencing my earlier comment, it'd still be nice if Jin could stop by for a visit occasionally so we can see how she's getting along.
Unfortunately, there's a limit to how much can be shown about various characters going about their separate lives in a five-updates-a-week format.

The obvious fix, therefore, is to switch over to a fifty-times-a-week format. I'm sure that there would be no problems with that.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Shelly: OK, spill it. What really happened with Kevin?
Monica: Well I... umm... I kind of incinerated him.
Shelly: You WHAT?!?!
Monica: We were getting hot and heavy in the bedroom and then things got a little too hot. My astral fire got a teensy bit away from me.
Shelly: Holy *%#&!
Monica: And the worst part is I can't get rid of the smell so now I need to buy a new matress!
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

zachariah wrote:We are not nerds. All of us are merely strong fans of the Wapsiverse and it's story. While our attachment may seem overly psychotic, er- emotional is a better word it use, it is still well meant. The thought of Kevin-Monica breakup without any mention of it prior to this severely shook us. An event of that order would cause a lot of ripples. Not only to Monica but to the many others who probably would choose to have strong words with Kevin about it. Except Bud who might feel that it's her chance to catch him on a rebound. lol.
Speak for yourself. I'm quite the nerd. Even have my nerd glasses from High School(complete with patch job from bullies trying to break my nose and instead breaking my glasses). Managed to make said bully walk into a brick wall without throwing anything. I prefer many hobbies one would call nerdy, and that suits me fine. So don't lump me in with you. :P
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DoctorOverlord

Post by DoctorOverlord »

Don't do that! I ran here to post a shocked comment, I'm glad I went through the thread first :)

BTW - Isn't it about time we saw Kevin again? And what about Jin and Alan? (My bets are Jin has a bun in the oven by now)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DoctorOverlord wrote:
Don't do that! I ran here to post a shocked comment, I'm glad I went through the thread first :)

BTW - Isn't it about time we saw Kevin again? And what about Jin and Alan? (My bets are Jin has a bun in the oven by now)
Even though Jin is functionally human now, she's still a golem.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

MerchManDan wrote:
zachariah wrote:We are not nerds. All of us are merely strong fans of the Wapsiverse and it's story. While our attachment may seem overly psychotic, er- emotional is a better word it use, it is still well meant.
Quite so. "Nerds" are those who obsess over things like mathematics, astronomy, robotics, geology and other academic stuff. We, on the other hand, obsess over things like Star Trek, Star Wars, anime, comics and other pop culture subjects.
We are "geeks." ;)
Guess this makes me a Gerd, or a Neek. Seems like it all blended together at some point in my deep, dim, CRS befuddled past. I have The Hobbit on the TV at the moment, Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows earlier, and am skipping over to Thursday night football on occasion to check score. Not that I have interest in either team, but it is football. And for a living people think I am an Engineer. I like to think I am just creative with a knack for things that go "clank or whoosh".

Ooooh! Stone giants!
Last edited by Hansontoons on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.