Beer Saved the World

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Atomic

Beer Saved the World

Post by Atomic »

"Beer and Science go hand in hand."

youTube

Smirk not! For can you imagine what life was like without safe, potable water anywhere?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
bmonk

Re: Beer Saved the World

Post by bmonk »

To paraphrase a queen who lost her head over a similar problem, "Let them drink wine!"

The Rule of Benedict legislates that, although monks should ideally not drink wine at all, at least let them drink no more than a hemina ("Half a bottle") each day. (A hemina seems to be about 10 ounces, but we are not quite sure.) Again, the most likely reason was the chance you take with drinking fresh water in days before chlorination or other ways to purify it.
Julie

Post by Julie »

bmonk wrote:To paraphrase a queen who lost her head over a similar problem, "Let them drink wine!"
I thought that Marie Antoinette didn't really say that.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Beer was also liquid bread, particularly for the Egyptians. Enough calories and stuff to keep you alive, enough liquid to keep you going, plus enough alcohol to keep you from trying to stage an uprising. Perfect for feeding your slave labor!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Beer was also liquid bread, particularly for the Egyptians. Enough calories and stuff to keep you alive, enough liquid to keep you going, plus enough alcohol to keep you from trying to stage an uprising. Perfect for feeding your slave labor!
If Julie is going to quibble over the non-historicity of a queen's statement, may I quibble over the fact that the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by volunteers?
Last edited by bmonk on Sat May 18, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:
bmonk wrote:To paraphrase a queen who lost her head over a similar problem, "Let them drink wine!"
I thought that Marie Antoinette didn't really say that.
Well, it appears she did say something like "Then why do they not eat cake?", since she literally could not understand that one could be so poor one could not afford the most basic ingredients to make food; when she and her fellow courtiers ran out of bread, they just ate cake...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

...and all hail Charlie Mopps!
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
ShneekeyTheLost

Fairportfan wrote:...and all hail Charlie Mopps!
While a nice, traditional tune, which goes well in the same set with All Fer Me Grog, I happen to like this little ditty as well. Apologies for the WoW machinima, it was the first video I found with that particular tune.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Another one...

(You'll notice a comment from me near the top of the page...)
=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Fairportfan wrote:...and all hail Charlie Mopps!
Bard's Tale game has stolen my valuable time a wee bit...

...Yeah, I was told by my child that I had to goto bed early and leave that game alone for the night, or be grounded from hugs and kisses for the day. Hardest thing to do. Ever. Haven't been that involved in a game since the bad old EverQuest days...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

bmonk wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Beer was also liquid bread, particularly for the Egyptians. Enough calories and stuff to keep you alive, enough liquid to keep you going, plus enough alcohol to keep you from trying to stage an uprising. Perfect for feeding your slave labor!
If Julie is going to quibble over the non-historicity of a queen's statement, may I quibble over the fact that the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by volunteers?
When people volunteer out of religious zealotry, the line between 'volunteer' and 'slave' blurs quite a bit.
Julie

Post by Julie »

bmonk wrote:
I like quibbling. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."