Welcome Screen 2013-05-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Welcome Screen 2013-05-10

Post by jwhouk »

I was trying to come up with a representation for each glyph in English cipher.

For example: Monica's symbol is two circles - a larger circle with a smaller circle on top. Because of how that looks, I use the English cipher "Oo" to represent that symbol/glyph. (Of course, after seeing Thursday's strip, I might change it to "oO", because it appears there's a reverse to it in the control panel.)

I'm not intending these to be seen as pronunciation guides; I'm just using these letter representations because I don't have a Lanthian keyboard adapter for Windows 7. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:I'm not intending these to be seen as pronunciation guides; I'm just using these letter representations because I don't have a Lanthian keyboard adapter for Windows 7. ;)
I wonder how difficult it would be for Paul to apply for and receive a Unicode prefix for Lanthian glyphs?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Jay-Em wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Something I noticed, looking back through the list of glyph references: whenever Monica uses it herself, she starts with her "Oo" glyph.

I see, sooo, the "Oo"-glyph = #enable ? :P
They were prolly trek fans... the translation would be: Engage.

Drops a spent type I phaser and an old beat up tri-corder in the pun jar and walks out humming the Star Trek theme...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

Mark N wrote:
Cyberpawz wrote:This really didn't amaze me... although what amazes me is is Kath seems to of gained some cleavage as the mission has gone forward... has anyone else noticed this? Or is this just an implication of Paul's liking of well endowed girls ;)

Only reason I say that is because if you take a drawing he did of her not to long ago:

To the last frame from the most recent comic, she looks to have well grown a few cup sizes to say the least.
Paul has made mention of this several times recently that Katherine has a habit of wearing very baggy clothes so it hides her figure. He has shown her to have this figure several times over the years it was just not so noticeable.
The clothes she is wearing in both the image linked, and the front page are well, lets just say not exactly baggy... but I'll let it slide, for now. :P
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DilyV wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Something I noticed, looking back through the list of glyph references: whenever Monica uses it herself, she starts with her "Oo" glyph.

I see, sooo, the "Oo"-glyph = #enable ? :P

Drops a spent type I phaser and an old beat up tri-corder in the pun jar and walks out humming the Star Trek theme...
If you have not yet seen the Audi commercial with both Spocks, check it out on YouTube, search "Audi Spock". If you already have and I am behind the times, I hope you got a good chuckle out of it too.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Does anyone else remember the "not your father's Oldsmobile" ad with Shatner in his admiral's uniform and his daughter?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Hansontoons wrote:
DilyV wrote:

If you have not yet seen the Audi commercial with both Spocks, check it out on YouTube, search "Audi Spock". If you already have and I am behind the times, I hope you got a good chuckle out of it too.
I laughed so hard I cried when I saw it... The commercial is wrong on so many levels...

"Stand by to have your wallet emptied by a tractor beam."

"F**K"

"Goooooooo Bilbo!"

"Smart Ass."

"Use your Sensors!"

Totally my favorite commercial of the year... they should have done that for the superbowl!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

as363 wrote:Just to cover Dave's' former and further transgressions - very carefully deposits a complete set of 1795 Waterford Crystal ( In the original cases and owned and signed by Thomas Jefferson ) into the Pun Vault .

You owe me Dave if you do that again.
Your most worthy (nay, lavishly extravagant) contribution to the happy smile on the Pun Jar is noted, and much appreciated!

My apologies if I managed to make you splorfle hot tea into your sinuses, or facepalm a bruise, or gag loudly in church :oops:
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hansontoons wrote:
DilyV wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:I see, sooo, the "Oo"-glyph = #enable ? :P

Just watched it this weekend....It. Was. Awesome. :D And I'm inclined to agree with DilyV...there were some epic quotes in that thing ("Gooooooo Bilbo!" was my favorite). :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Wyvern wrote: For example, when Monica hurts her thumb the cry is "DiWt OiMvGt UaOeVlWt" and doesn't feature Monica's Oo at all.
:?:

"DiWt OiMvGt UaOeVlWt"

DiWt = Dimwit?

OiMvGt = Oh My Gosh?

UaOeVlWt = ......... I have no Idea what that could be. Although, to be fair, "No Idea" is pretty much the basis of the first two guesses at the meaning of the words (based on the situation) :-p

and actually looking at that (slam thumb in car door) page, the first two guesses probably come from how those symbols look similar to english text speak 'words' ...... :shock:

oh NO!!! :o

The Glyph language is an ancient form of text speak? :?:

*meh* could be worse ..... it could be l33t :lol:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Grantwhy wrote:
Wyvern wrote: For example, when Monica hurts her thumb the cry is "DiWt OiMvGt UaOeVlWt" and doesn't feature Monica's Oo at all.
:?: The Glyph language is an ancient form of text speak? :?: *meh* could be worse ..... it could be l33t :lol:

Well, it's not as if we have a Lanthian font. We have to make do. I'm not sure the (capital letter, small letter) scheme is all that good for visual shorthand, although it's nicely unambiguous for other reasons; for example, there are glyphs that look like =D and n\ that don't fit that pattern.

We've got good evidence that "Ua Oe Vl Wt" is a common swear word; Jin uses it later on when she bangs her leg on furniture.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Imagine how harsh the swears would sound!
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:Imagine how harsh the swears would sound!
I don't think we know much about the actual pronunciation of what people call Glyph.

I do have a vague recollection that at some point, Paul disclosed that the swear word that both Monica and Jin have been seen to use, is pronounced something like "Yo-ath". That may have been back in the late, lamented Comments section on the main site.

Lanthian/Glyph might sound anything from something like Hawaiian (vowel-rich, soft and fluid), to an eastern European language such as Polish (consonant-rich; they regularly import pineapple from Hawaii just because they get a bunch of surplus vowels thrown in as part of the deal).

When my wife and I visited Romania some years ago, our tour leader took pains to reassure us: "Don't worry if it sounds like our driver and I are arguing angrily. We aren't - we're having a pleasant casual conversation. That's just how our language always sounds."
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Dave wrote:
kingklash wrote:Imagine how harsh the swears would sound!
I do have a vague recollection that at some point, Paul disclosed that the swear word that both Monica and Jin have been seen to use, is pronounced something like "Yo-ath". That may have been back in the late, lamented Comments section on the main site.

Yes, that's our one transcription of Glyph (it's on the wiki page too), and it's recorded as "ôth grê yôäth!"
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.