Crystal Things 2013-5-8

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Jay-Em

Re: Crystal Things 2013-5-8

Post by Jay-Em »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:It's not even far fetched that this is pure data-storage.
read this:

http://www.techspot.com/news/50313-hita ... years.html

Paul knóws his resources..
I prefer to think his inspiration came from the Interstellar Alliance.
Could be, but the fact that these sci-fi-tropes are becoming reality, is just too cool for any nerd-brain. And Pablo is a nerd, proud of it, and rightfully so!.
I wouldn't be too surprised if regularly browses science news sites, and ran into this snippet, sparking some interesting ideas for the stories.

But, yeah. Data-crystals are admittedly very much "standard sci fi" since Space oddysey.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jay-Em wrote: Data-crystals are admittedly very much "standard sci fi" since Space oddysey.
For those who remember in the early 1980 TSR announced that it had Lithium Crystals for data storage using the atomic structure of the crystal. Since uniform crystals were formed the x,y,z coordinates could be easily identified and accessed. The locations piezoelectric potential could be changed to indicate data state. Their problem with it was only 45% of the medium was usabale due to lack of uniformity in the crystal structure due to impurities That is the last I ever heard of it anywhere. Suspect the US Government classified it for military research and development. The idea came back in the early 2000's using optical storage and laser's. It's funny how times change but ideas stay the same. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

Why do I suddenly have a sense of foreboding like in Aladdin when he is told "Touch nothing but the lamp!"

"But there are so many shiny things, and I like shiny things..."

"TOUCH NOTHING!"

>.>

But still is awesome, and the crystal techonology does remind me of Superman.

Still, I think Kath and Atsali are going to have another bonding experiance shortly.

I wonder, could the missing civilizations have turned their whole bodies to data and have been surviving in the data banks for centuries? If so, that's very Dr. Who like with the Library episode.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
eee

Post by eee »

ChattaStarhawk wrote:
Dave wrote:I have a feeling that this room may serve a similar function... and perhaps for much, much more than just the names of the lost. Atsali spoke of "helping out the lost folks". If those crystals are the equivalent of intact transporter buffers... :?:

(Riker) "Can a man survive inside a transporter buffer for 75 years?"

(LaForge) "I know a way to find out..." ##chhhrrrRRRRRrrrrrr##
Where did all the people go --- we may be about to find out.
It's like Demon with a Glass Hand! Kath isn't Kath, she's (spoilers spoilers spoilers spoilers) and THAT'S where all the Anasazi went! :lol:
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Just don't let it sing "Bicycle built for two".
Perhaps its power source is Light? When Katherine tried her lighter that was enough to "Fire it up"?
Man I'm just so impressed by this page and thinking 2001, I missed the Doctor Who reference.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

NOTDilbert wrote:"This is the Astral Plane, and these are the Akashic Records," I said confidently while donning my riot gear in anticipation of the shower of stones....
I'm with the geeky engineer on this one. Fits too well.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

NOTDilbert wrote:"This is the Astral Plane, and these are the Akashic Records," I said confidently while donning my riot gear in anticipation of the shower of stones....
I'm thinking it's either this...
zachariah wrote:The library wants the information in the storage but MIB and others want to keep it away from the library. This is looking like the library is pulling strings to get what it wants. Anything is a side issue.
...or this. :shock:

Either way, I had trouble visually deciphering what they're looking at. To much brightness...the light...it burns us precious. :(
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:
Jay-Em wrote: Data-crystals are admittedly very much "standard sci fi" since Space oddysey.
For those who remember in the early 1980 TSR announced that it had Lithium Crystals for data storage using the atomic structure of the crystal. Since uniform crystals were formed the x,y,z coordinates could be easily identified and accessed. The locations piezoelectric potential could be changed to indicate data state. Their problem with it was only 45% of the medium was usable due to lack of uniformity in the crystal structure due to impurities That is the last I ever heard of it anywhere. Suspect the US Government classified it for military research and development. The idea came back in the early 2000's using optical storage and laser's. It's funny how times change but ideas stay the same. lol.
It reminds me of a long-ago short story about a universal library, with ever more efficient data storage, going from single atoms, to single electrons, to photons, to chipped photons, to nudged photons. However, with each more efficient data storage type, the paperwork for accessing the data, such as catalogs and histories, became a large percentage of the space freed up by the tiny data storage. Even by putting the catalogs, histories, and other supporting materials in their own data storage had only limited benefits.

It was all going on pretty well, until after several hundred data storage units had been accumulated, and somehow the link to the original data was corrupted or lost. The resulting loss of access to all the civilization's accumulated knowledge caused a social and cultural collapse.

The end of the story was a debate over where to file this story, and increasingly agitated notes about accessing information. . . .

Edit: I was just very glad that these crystals are cylinders, and not skulls. Although even better would have been crystal prisms.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well there have been MANY different advanced ways of storing info, but IU have yet to see them actually being used.... :roll:

lots of 'crystal' ideas, but that is all... lots of other credit card similar to CD types, you remember 'magnetic bubble' storage??? holographic storage??

the problem with storage is not just the medium, but long term reliability, ease of use, speed, and even cost due to licensing, different companies wanting money for it, etc, etc... electronic cash may have taken off, if it was subsidised so the small shopkeeper could afford the banking and accounting charges - some are still charged large amounts to do cheques!!

In UK, even the oyster prepaid card has the travel companies fighting about it.. and why BUY an app so you can use your NFC phone to read the card, when it needs your full ID number as well?? doing that on the web is totally free, and most helpful shopkeepers will read the balance for you.... :/

oh well, back to fantasy, where crystals are the stuff... :P :)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Okay I'll say it.

By the time this is over the whole thing will be crystal clear to everyone.

Drops a crystal data reader into the pun jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

It's the Underbase!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:Okay I'll say it.

Only if you are a Ballybran crystal singer?

adds a nice sound-tuned cutter.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:
zachariah wrote:Okay I'll say it.

Only if you are a Ballybran crystal singer?

adds a nice sound-tuned cutter.
Or a Tripsinger...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber