A Direct Message 2013-05-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
My2Cents

Re: A Direct Message 2013-05-06

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:Fixing Brandi is going to take some doing. There is no magic wand waving for that problem. t calls for integrating the two personalities and getting them to accept each other. Then dealing with the trauma that caused the split in the first place. Once the two parts are ready to meld, or merge, it gets tricky. Which one will remain is the big question. You can get either one, depending on dominance, or strength of will, or they will merge to create a whole.

No matter what happens there are too unanswered questions about Brandi and what caused the split in the first place. We can assume it was the creation of the GG but that could be wrong. The split could be caused by her frustration at all the manipulation she was subjected to through all the replays.
I suspect that the source of Brandi's split is the when she causes a woman to skin herself alive. She doesn't like that aspect of herself that can do that and walls it off, but has to let it out to do what must be done, knowing that it is evil.

I suspect that the 'Spider Woman', Lily's death, and Kathryn's past adventure are other events Brandi manipulations caused, which could mean that there is going to be some intense confrontation before this ends.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

My2Cents wrote:
zachariah wrote:Fixing Brandi is going to take some doing. There is no magic wand waving for that problem. t calls for integrating the two personalities and getting them to accept each other. Then dealing with the trauma that caused the split in the first place. Once the two parts are ready to meld, or merge, it gets tricky. Which one will remain is the big question. You can get either one, depending on dominance, or strength of will, or they will merge to create a whole.

No matter what happens there are too unanswered questions about Brandi and what caused the split in the first place. We can assume it was the creation of the GG but that could be wrong. The split could be caused by her frustration at all the manipulation she was subjected to through all the replays.
I suspect that the source of Brandi's split is the when she causes a woman to skin herself alive. She doesn't like that aspect of herself that can do that and walls it off, but has to let it out to do what must be done, knowing that it is evil.

I suspect that the 'Spider Woman', Lily's death, and Kathryn's past adventure are other events Brandi manipulations caused, which could mean that there is going to be some intense confrontation before this ends.
Brandi said she could set off a chain of events that could cause someone to skin themselves alive, not that it happened. The traumatic event we know about was when the baby she was caring for was killed. It would make sense that since Brandi couldn't protect the baby, The Director was born as someone who could take charge to make things happen.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

AmriloJim wrote:I'm hearing that code with a nasal tone... "A gracious good day, is this the party to whom I'm speaking? snort"
Yes! Paul captured the Tomlin look perfectly... that was the first thing I thought of. Laugh-in for the win!

“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

The Old Wolf wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:I'm hearing that code with a nasal tone... "A gracious good day, is this the party to whom I'm speaking? snort"
Yes! Paul captured the Tomlin look perfectly... that was the first thing I thought of. Laugh-in for the win!

Not just Laugh in. In the 70's and 80's she used that character many times in many variety programs.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:Brandi said she could set off a chain of events that could cause someone to skin themselves alive, not that it happened. The traumatic event we know about was when the baby she was caring for was killed. It would make sense that since Brandi couldn't protect the baby, The Director was born as someone who could take charge to make things happen.
That's an awfully specific hypothetical.

Sort of like a Suspiciously Specific Denial.

=================

EDIT to add:

Rather like the moose, perhaps

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

MerchManDan wrote:I see Tsillah is thoroughly enjoying her new job as library liaison. "One ringy-dingy....two ringy-dingy..."
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Dan. Laugh In was so neat!

YouTube is like Cheetos, you can't watch just one so I had to revisit a bunch of clips. Dan & Dick put together such a great cast: Lily Tomlin, Goldie Hawn, Ruth Buzzi, Arte Johnson, Jo Anne Worley, Gary Owens, Henry Gibson, and so many more. That was the last TV show worth watching. It's sad that no archive of the complete series exists - only snippets.

I think Goldie and Arte are my favorites, especially Goldie. One has to be pretty smart to play so dumb! Arte Johnson was no slouch either. Many years ago, I saw him in a local theater outside of Los Angeles. The theater has over 1200 seats and was full.

Arte was on stage in the midst of a monolog when an earthquake hit. Those of us living in earthquake country know this experience well. At the first jolt there is an instant pause as we try to assess whether this one is the "big one" or just a shelf rattler - i.e., run or sit it out. However, this time we are all sitting in a dark, crowded theater with unknown stuff hanging from a high ceiling and with no nearby doorway or exit. If even just one person panicked it would probably spread and lot of people would get hurt. When the jolt hit, Arte, of course, paused. But he quickly realized what was important and resumed his monolog, even while the stage was shaking, keeping everyone calm and averting a potential tragedy. Just like a good German soldier: nerves of steel.
Dave wrote:As has been noted before, a lot of us forumites are definitely in the "showing considerable grey hair if we're lucky enough to still have it to show" age cohort. Now, if Pablo were sticking in references to current celebrities or popular music, I'd probably be lost.
Boy, can I relate to that!
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I am barely old enough to remember Rowan & Martin when it was still on the air. And Lily Tomlin still pays the bills because of Ernestine.

It does appear that our Brandi has some MPD to go with her PTSD.

So - does anyone recognize that phone number or call sign? (Translates to 5BGH9JZ, or possibly 524-4959 as a phone number?)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Tsillah is quite the little helper, isn't she?

Oh, and by the way of recklessness ...
Google wrote:Your search - 5bgh9jz - did not match any documents.
... it must be pretty important, then?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I'm just hoping that the situation with Dr. Gilchrist is going to turn out to be reasonable and acceptable. She's gone from slightly spooky but otherwise acceptably normal human side cast member to amazingly knowledgeable and heavily back storied person of central interest in a VERY, VERY short period of time. It's going to take a very good rationale to fit this development past my disbelief filters.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Timotheus wrote:I'm just hoping that the situation with Dr. Gilchrist is going to turn out to be reasonable and acceptable. She's gone from slightly spooky but otherwise acceptably normal human side cast member to amazingly knowledgeable and heavily back storied person of central interest in a VERY, VERY short period of time. It's going to take a very good rationale to fit this development past my disbelief filters.
Did Monica suddenly being a Phoenix/Jaguar Girl pass them?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Timotheus wrote:I'm just hoping that the situation with Dr. Gilchrist is going to turn out to be reasonable and acceptable. She's gone from slightly spooky but otherwise acceptably normal human side cast member to amazingly knowledgeable and heavily back storied person of central interest in a VERY, VERY short period of time. It's going to take a very good rationale to fit this development past my disbelief filters.
I think one has to come to grips with the fact that characters in the story did not just come to this one place at random and just happen to be supernatural beings. I see it more as budding supernatural beings being drawn to this place, like Tina said she was. They weren't always aware of it, nor were their parents who, in some cases, brought them in the first place (though Shelly's mother was certainly aware). Something pulled them all together and in contact with one another. Perhaps the same creatures/forces who are manipulating them even now.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Graymalkin

Post by Graymalkin »

Thanks for the tribute to Lily Tomlin as Ernestine! Can we get one of Arte Johnson and Ruth Buzzi as the dirty old man and the purse-whacking old maid?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

KnightDelight wrote: I think one has to come to grips with the fact that characters in the story did not just come to this one place at random and just happen to be supernatural beings. I see it more as budding supernatural beings being drawn to this place, like Tina said she was. They weren't always aware of it, nor were their parents who, in some cases, brought them in the first place (though Shelly's mother was certainly aware). Something pulled them all together and in contact with one another. Perhaps the same creatures/forces who are manipulating them even now.
Well, the first creature was probably Jin. Brandi may have been the second creature.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"Where, oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me heeeere all alone?
I searched the world over but you found a portal
Pressed on the spider and Brrrrzzzttt, you was gone!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
tripodcat

Post by tripodcat »

Atomic wrote:"Where, oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me heeeere all alone?
I searched the world over but you found a portal
Pressed on the spider and Brrrrzzzttt, you was gone!"
No, that's BR-549
Julie

Post by Julie »

Gah! So many things to think of now! I feel like going cross-eyed just trying to encapsulate all of what I thought with today's page, along with the thoughts triggered by the comments here...but I'm going to try. :)

Brandi (or at least one part of her) seemed to imply that there might have been a valid reason to hide stuff from the Library, but Tsillah is helping the Library find that stuff out. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? You may discuss at your leisure. :P

It's nice to have confirmation that Brandi is borked. I'm a little stunned that none of us have noticed this before. Especially Bud, who lived with Brandi for a while.

Speaking of Bud, someone mentioned that they wondered what hijinks would be necessary to "fix" Bud in the future. I sincerely hope she is not in need of "fixing." Bud strikes me as the most normal of the GGGs. Yes, she experienced trauma, but she also has worked very hard to be herself according to her own definitions, and not the definitions of the people around her. It may well be that we technically already witnessed the "fixing" of Bud when we saw her dealing with her emotions surrounding who/what she is and what she has done vs who she wants to be and what she will do moving forward.

I, too, am hoping that Kat's situation is handled well (not that I doubt Paul's ability to make her story both intriguing and awesome). I feel like we're being prepped for some kind of big reveal, but I also have been enjoying having a "normal" member of the gang to give some perspective on things. Maybe we just need to see more of Amanda...or Becky.. :)

Lastly, I did recognize the Lily Tomlin schtick as well, but contrary to the assertion of one of you guys, I have zero gray hairs (as of now). :P My mom didn't get her first grays until she was almost 50, and my dad didn't get noticeable grays until a few years before her. I'm still sitting at 30, so I (should) have a little while before my age shows there. :) I just was raised on the "good stuff" when it comes to entertainment television.

Now, having been inspired by our little shadow goblin, I'm going to go bake myself a batch of snickerdoodles. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Graymalkin wrote:Thanks for the tribute to Lily Tomlin as Ernestine! Can we get one of Arte Johnson and Ruth Buzzi as the dirty old man and the purse-whacking old maid?
If Lily and Suzi's former boss offers either of them a Walnetto, I'm-a leavin! :)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A thought: what if Bud has already been fixed?
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

jwhouk wrote:I am barely old enough to remember Rowan & Martin when it was still on the air. And Lily Tomlin still pays the bills because of Ernestine.

It does appear that our Brandi has some MPD to go with her PTSD.

So - does anyone recognize that phone number or call sign? (Translates to 5BGH9JZ, or possibly 524-4959 as a phone number?)
Using the phone number version, I found this parts listing: http://www.armyproperty.com/nsn/5310-01-524-4959

A Self-Locking Nut

It's an incredibly subtle reference to something, I'm sure of it. :lol:
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aleister Crow wrote:Using the phone number version, I found this parts listing: http://www.armyproperty.com/nsn/5310-01-524-4959

A Self-Locking Nut

It's an incredibly subtle reference to something, I'm sure of it. :lol:
So, Tsillah wasn't taking the form of a telephone operator at all.

She was pretending to be a washer woman!

(Please excuse me... the Pun Jar is gearing up to attack me, and I must bolt for the exit. If it catches me, I'm... well, you know.)