A Direct Message 2013-05-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
analyst

Re: A Direct Message 2013-05-06

Post by analyst »

Dave wrote:trashes your transport, and PLUGHs out through a stargate without you
Speaking of ancient history... WHY TOO much is being made of this, I'll never know (c8. Drops a plovers egg into the pun jar.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Sidhekin wrote:Tsillah is quite the little helper, isn't she?

Oh, and by the way of recklessness ...
Google wrote:Your search - 5bgh9jz - did not match any documents.
... it must be pretty important, then?
In the first place it is not a document, it is the confirm Code an Agent asks for when contacting HQ. To prevent enemy capture of communications these codes are used to confirm to each other that the right people are talking to each other. Given that there is no time reference on this scene this is quite possibly the phone message Lilly received telling her to meet Brandi at Mesa Verde just after the choppers blew up. It was Tsilah who supplied misleading information to Brandi as well. Sent out the fire alarm from the library, and may have set Sali on the path to meeting Kathy. All at the library's direction.

Just who is Tsilah working for???? MIB, Charron, Bia, Monica, Brandi, The Library, Phix, or herself. It's quiet likely she is at least a quadruple agent.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:Just who is Tsilah working for???? MIB, Charron, Bia, Monica, Brandi, The Library, Phix, or herself. It's quiet likely she is at least a quadruple agent.
Quintuple. She's also working for The Phone Company
analyst wrote:
Dave wrote:trashes your transport, and PLUGHs out through a stargate without you
Speaking of ancient history... WHY TOO much is being made of this, I'll never know (c8. Drops a plovers egg into the pun jar.
Thanks - I figured that somebody around here would probably get the reference! :D
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Timotheus wrote:I'm just hoping that the situation with Dr. Gilchrist is going to turn out to be reasonable and acceptable. She's gone from slightly spooky but otherwise acceptably normal human side cast member to amazingly knowledgeable and heavily back storied person of central interest in a VERY, VERY short period of time. It's going to take a very good rationale to fit this development past my disbelief filters.
Sorry but Katherine has never been "normal" in the Wapsiverse. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/09292003/ as an examplex.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:(Please excuse me... the Pun Jar is gearing up to attack me, and I must bolt for the exit. If it catches me, I'm... well, you know.)
A small haddock, split and boned?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
notStanley

Post by notStanley »

Aleister Crow wrote:Using the phone number version, I found this parts listing: http://www.armyproperty.com/nsn/5310-01-524-4959
ever wonder what webmasters out in the the "real" world think is going on when their sites get slammed by links from places like this? I am proud of the confusion level we are helping to maintain!
sheik

Post by sheik »

jwhouk wrote:A thought: what if Bud has already been fixed?
I think her experience as part of the Chimera pretty much "fixed" her into an extreme reluctance to use her planet squashing powers for anything more lethal than making the occasional sonic boom.
Her reticence may one day be a plot point as telling as any so far presented, but likely not in this story arc.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Aleister Crow wrote:Using the phone number version, I found this parts listing: http://www.armyproperty.com/nsn/5310-01-524-4959

A Self-Locking Nut

It's an incredibly subtle reference to something, I'm sure of it. :lol:
Self-sealing stembolts, maybe.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm surprised nobody commented on the McPedro cameo on top of the switchboard... :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Looks like Tsillah really enjoys her job. If she decides to have a sleepover with Atsali, the squeee-ing of the two "teen" Mythics will be epic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:A thought: what if Bud has already been fixed?

I would think that what Bud needs is a relationship with a person she can call her own (and not attached to Monica or Shelly).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:Looks like Tsillah really enjoys her job. If she decides to have a sleepover with Atsali, the squeee-ing of the two "teen" Mythics will be epic.
Add Connie to that and the Universe may quake.

And Nudge as chaperon, of course...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Fairportfan wrote:
Timotheus wrote:I'm just hoping that the situation with Dr. Gilchrist is going to turn out to be reasonable and acceptable. She's gone from slightly spooky but otherwise acceptably normal human side cast member to amazingly knowledgeable and heavily back storied person of central interest in a VERY, VERY short period of time. It's going to take a very good rationale to fit this development past my disbelief filters.
Fairportfan wrote:Did Monica suddenly being a Phoenix/Jaguar Girl pass them?
Yes, but there has been ground work laid for that development. She's been referred to as the Jaguar girl at earlier points without explanation and other hints of her developing super-normal aspects have been consistent (poiting).
Katherine has only been shown to have unusual eyes and personal characteristics, but nothing truly supernatural so far.
Opus the Poet wrote:Sorry but Katherine has never been "normal" in the Wapsiverse. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/09292003/ as an example.
True, no one is really normal in the Wapsiverse, but that's what makes her "normal". My concern is that her character and personality seem to have experienced a immense amount of change in the time between the mine cart ride to now as compared to all her previous appearances, and I'm just worried that when the reveal happens it's going to have a tough time covering all the bases without invoking the "because this is what the author says it is now explanation."
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Fairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:Looks like Tsillah really enjoys her job. If she decides to have a sleepover with Atsali, the squeee-ing of the two "teen" Mythics will be epic.

Nudge would probably be the worst of them all. :D
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Opus the Poet wrote:Sorry but Katherine has never been "normal" in the Wapsiverse. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/09292003/ as an examplex.
Wow. Foreshadowing from 10 years ago. Now that is long term plot planning!

Be interesting to see how the Kath character changed in Pablo's plans over the time span.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
Dave

Post by Dave »

Timotheus wrote:True, no one is really normal in the Wapsiverse, but that's what makes her "normal". My concern is that her character and personality seem to have experienced a immense amount of change in the time between the mine cart ride to now as compared to all her previous appearances, and I'm just worried that when the reveal happens it's going to have a tough time covering all the bases without invoking the "because this is what the author says it is now explanation."
There's been a definite shift in "the Katherine that we see", I agree. My hunch is that Paul has laid enough groundwork to support it, though... both in recent flashbacks and in earlier bits of the story.

We hadn't really known very much about Katherine's back-story at all, prior to recently. We knew she's reclusive, quirky, somewhat spooky to many, and rather scholarly (considering her job). We did know that she was on some form of psychotropic medication (although I don't think it was ever disclosed whether it's for depression, OCD, anxiety, or a more severe form of psychosis) and that she may not have been taking her medication(s) consistently.

Between that, and some of the things about her earlier life that have been revealed in recent flashbacks, my guess is that we aren't seeing a "new" or "changed" Katherine. Rather, we're seeing aspects of her that she's been deliberately repressing for years... possibly as the result of some extreme trauma (such as having her coworkers slaughtered all around her?).

Some people try to deal with traumatic events by "processing" the trauma - coming to terms with it. Others try to "put it behind them", deliberately separating themselves from the trauma and from whole portions of their lives and "walling off" the experience. I don't think the jury is in, as to which approach is more likely to result in a happy future life.

It would not surprise me at all if some of what we learn about Katherine in the weeks to come, turns out to have been hinted at in the past in one way or another... Paul may well have left clues about her history out in plain sight for us to not-see or misinterpret :) as he seems quite good at that.

Her somewhat symbiotic social relationship with a lactose-intolerant fish probably figures into it somehow, but I'll be hornswoggled if I can figure out just how!

We'll see, and we'll probably be surprised! That's the fun of it.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:

Nudge would probably be the worst of them all. :D
That was the thought, yes.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

shadowinthelight wrote:Brandi said she could set off a chain of events that could cause someone to skin themselves alive, not that it happened. The traumatic event we know about was when the baby she was caring for was killed. It would make sense that since Brandi couldn't protect the baby, The Director was born as someone who could take charge to make things happen.
How would she know she could do it if she hasn’t done something like it at some point?

Yes, when the baby she was caring for was killed it was a traumatic event, but she could at least blame it in part on the priest who used the baby as a shield. But if she made someone skin themselves alive, there is no one else to blame, so would she be likely to see that part of herself as even worse than the priests?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm getting the feeling that "5BGH9JZ" is something obvious.

Like it's the serial number of one of Pablo's guns.

I know for a fact it can't be his license plate number, because MN plates don't have seven characters.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
TheDOCTOR wrote:Yeah, show of hands to all who got the Tomlin reference? .......WOW! Thats a lotta hands!
As has been noted before, a lot of us forumites are definitely in the "showing considerable grey hair if we're lucky enough to still have it to show" age cohort. Now, if Pablo were sticking in references to current celebrities or popular music, I'd probably be lost (I'll admit that I had to Google "ruPaul" back when Connie dropped his name :? ).
And that's the truth! Pbtpbtpbtpbtpbt! :p

:lol: