But I Know 2013-05-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
The Old Wolf

But I Know 2013-05-02

Post by The Old Wolf »

Well, let's see. On December 9, 1963, I had scrambled eggs and an english muffin for breakfast. With grape jelly.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
zachariah

Re: But I Know 2013-05-02

Post by zachariah »

Paranoia Pays!

That's been a motto for years. It never hurts to worry about the little things when you don't know what they are.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Ooops.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I wonder what part of "Glyphs = good, Spider = bad" is hard for them to understand?

Everyone knows... NOTHING good comes of spiders...

Go with what you know Lily and get the funk outta dodge!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I suppose even ye olde vampyres might be a bit concerned about the possibility of opening a stargate directly into Shelob's lair, or the Anasazi equivalent. Some large spiders might not scorn the opportunity for a big and bloody breakfast, even if the blood comes second- or third-hand. They might even feel about blood the way Centauri feel about spoo... it needs to be properly aged in order to be worth eating.
DilyV wrote:Everyone knows... NOTHING good comes of spiders...
Not even golden orb-weaver silk, for the most wond'rous of bras?
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

But G'Kar liked his fresh and runny....and neither of the two janitor guys liked it at all - too Spoo-ish.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

DilyV wrote:Everyone knows... NOTHING good comes of spiders..
Gotta dissagree on that one. Spider silk is stronger than kevlar and may one day be used for all sorts of things once mass production is perfected.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Gotta dissagree on that one. Spider silk is stronger than kevlar and may one day be used for all sorts of things once mass production is perfected.
Plus without them we never would have had Spinneret! or Spiderman.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Not to mention there are several therapies that use spider venom for health reasons. And most important, spiders make great pest control. I know several people that wont look through my garage because they have seen webs around. And then there is the other kind of pest control.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Mark N wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Not to mention there are several therapies that use spider venom for health reasons. And most important, spiders make great pest control. I know several people that wont look through my garage because they have seen webs around. And then there is the other kind of pest control.
well those were MERE spiders... now, what does HUGE spider do, when angered at mistreatment, enslaving and experimentation on its family??? :o :o :shock:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

illiad wrote: now, what does HUGE spider do, when angered at mistreatment, enslaving and experimentation on its family??? :o :o :shock:
Become Shelob! Paging Sam Gamgee....Paging Sam Gamgee....
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Admiral ackbar still says : " Its a TRAP! "
Really, Called this yesterday.
eee

Post by eee »

I wonder if the spider crystal might be a 'hack' into the stargate network. A later, spider worshiping civilization may have figured out how to make the stargates work for them, replacing one of the glyph stones with their own magic 'over-ride' that allowed those with non-Anasazi DNA to activate and program the gates. If so, Kath may NOT be the other last living Anasazi, and removing the spider crystal might cause her all sorts of problems...
Julie

Post by Julie »

I'm going to agree (at least on most levels) with DilyV on this one with a slight addendum. Nothing good comes of spiders...that are in places they aren't supposed to be. :P

That way I can still appreciate the awesomeness of the spider silk bra M bought...and the strength properties of spider silk in general...and the fact that spiders perform a very important public service by eating pests. Then again, I've never been a huge fan of Spinerette (never went out of my way to read up on her) or Spiderman (especially not a fan of Spiderman), so it's easier for me not to appreciate the "gift" that these characters may have been from spider-kind and resume my general dislike/distrust of spidery things.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

(Takes deep breath, readies self to muddy the waters)

Ahem -- Zardoz Crystal

(Runs away to supposedly safe distance, awaiting...)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:I suppose even ye olde vampyres might be a bit concerned about the possibility of opening a stargate directly into Shelob's lair, or the Anasazi equivalent. Some large spiders might not scorn the opportunity for a big and bloody breakfast, even if the blood comes second- or third-hand. They might even feel about blood the way Centauri feel about spoo... it needs to be properly aged in order to be worth eating.
All fine and dandy till you have to shell out the money for one... what good is a golden orb weaver if it's silk is too cost prohibitive?

EDIT: I'll clarify my position on this... I've been in way too many places where WAAAAAAY too many spiders have been WAAAAAAAY too close for my own comfort. Tarantulas, Black Widows, Brown Recluse, and those freaks of nature CAMEL SPIDERS (which are related more closely to scorpions than spiders)!!! Anywhere you go that you have to worry about shaking out your bedding before going to sleep because of spiders is no place to be. I'm kinda like Kath... scared shitless of spiders... but they are fascinating (from a distance... like the other side of the TV Screen... or a really thick piece of glass)...

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Plus without them we never would have had Spinneret! or Spiderman.
Spiderman? Really? Worst. Superhero. Evah. LOL
Attachments
spider-camel-spider-camel-demotivational-posters-1301786517.jpg
spider-camel-spider-camel-demotivational-posters-1301786517.jpg (85.49 KiB) Viewed 9248 times

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

DilyV wrote:
Dave wrote:I suppose even ye olde vampyres might be a bit concerned about the possibility of opening a stargate directly into Shelob's lair, or the Anasazi equivalent. Some large spiders might not scorn the opportunity for a big and bloody breakfast, even if the blood comes second- or third-hand. They might even feel about blood the way Centauri feel about spoo... it needs to be properly aged in order to be worth eating.
All fine and dandy till you have to shell out the money for one... what good is a golden orb weaver if it's silk is too cost prohibitive?

EDIT: I'll clarify my position on this... I've been in way too many places where WAAAAAAY too many spiders have been WAAAAAAAY too close for my own comfort. Tarantulas, Black Widows, Brown Recluse, and those freaks of nature CAMEL SPIDERS (which are related more closely to scorpions than spiders)!!! Anywhere you go that you have to worry about shaking out your bedding before going to sleep because of spiders is no place to be. I'm kinda like Kath... scared shitless of spiders... but they are fascinating (from a distance... like the other side of the TV Screen... or a really thick piece of glass)...
I'm talking about these guys...
Attachments
CamelSpider1.jpg
CamelSpider1.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 9247 times

Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:All fine and dandy till you have to shell out the money for one... what good is a golden orb weaver if it's silk is too cost prohibitive?
Well, all that means is that we need lots more golden orb weavers around, so that production of silk goes up and competition brings the price down. I see a big commercial opportunity here! "A golden orb weaver bra in every lingerie drawer!" would make for a wonderful ad campaign. Rustic scenes of spiderboys and spidergals, lovingly tending the herds (flocks? gaggles? schools? murders? pounces?) out among the trees and bushes, collecting the silk, cheering on the annual "baby spider ballooning" launch... it would be heartwarming. Or horrifying, I guess.
I do get where you're coming from... and those locations were no doubt stressful enough even without the arachnid issue!

My own exposure to spiders has been under much less difficult circumstances and I still seem to be fine with "live and let live" coexistence. Every few months my wife encounters a particularly large spider around the house, decides that it exceeds her comfort threshold, and asks me to do a "catch and release", so I get a glass and a sheet of paper and give out erstwhile housemate an invitation to live outdoors. Haven't ever come close to being bitten doing it, so it works for us.

Factoid: I've read that the majority of what people call "spider bites", aren't. Spiders take the blame for a lot of small skin eruptions that are actually bacterial infections... often staph, such as MRSA (which I find distinctly scary as it can be very difficult to treat successfully).

Spider Camel... :lol: :!:

Maybe the military should try raising and training camel spiders, and deploy them as "outer perimeter" guards around Army encampments in the desert. They eat less than watchdogs, are well adapted to the terrain, and might horrify and repel intruders quite effectively if deployed in sufficient numbers.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Spider, Spider on the wall
Ain't you got no sense at all
Touch the spot and get blasted
Stay away you silly vampire.

Lilly has good instincts about the spider. Touching it will make bad things happen/

1. Gate drops them into the middle of the sun. Talk about 10th degree sunburn.
2. Gate send them to the spider mother who is hungry after so long without a meal.
3. Gate sends them back in time where she causes herself to get separated from the other five girls.
4. Gate sends her to Brandi who asks her, "What the F are you doing here?
5. Gate shuts down. Opening seals itself for all time. Suzy's last word is "Mummy!"