I Have The Key 2013-04-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

I Have The Key 2013-04-30

Post by shadowinthelight »

If she's trying to signal "live long and prosper" in the last panel she's doing it wrong. :P
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Stigmartyr762

Re: I Have The Key 2013-04-30

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Hold on ta yer butts! It's gonna be a bumpy ride!
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Genetic security coding. So Lilly does remember she is Anasazi! She also remember how the technology works. This is good. Otherwise being at the star gate would be kind of poitless.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:Genetic security coding. So Lilly does remember she is Anasazi! She also remember how the technology works. This is good. Otherwise being at the star gate would be kind of poitless.
No, using the stargate is poitless.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:Genetic security coding. So Lilly does remember she is Anasazi! She also remember how the technology works. This is good. Otherwise being at the star gate would be kind of poitless.
No, using the stargate is poitless.
Are you making poited remarks?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

The BBVC sends a big thank you to Paul for panels one and two.
Tuxian

Post by Tuxian »

I think we just learned something very, very important here. Remember what Brandi said the other day? "One of the last two living Anasazi." If what Lily is implying is that the stargate is gene-locked to only allow Anasazi to activate it... then since Katherine is also able to activate them...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

OK, exercising my powers of deduction, given that the 'gate is keyed to Anasazi genetic markers, that Lily is one of two remaining Anasazi, and that Katheryn Gilchrist was able to operate the 'gate, that must mean that our Dear Doctor Gilchrist is in fact the other remaining Anasazi. As was predicted elsewhere, but now we have confirmation of that fact.

Dang, Paul, now you have to explain how a woman in her early forties is a surviving member of a lost tribe that disappeared around the swap from BCE to CE.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Opus the Poet wrote:OK, exercising my powers of deduction, given that the 'gate is keyed to Anasazi genetic markers, that Lily is one of two remaining Anasazi, and that Katheryn Gilchrist was able to operate the 'gate, that must mean that our Dear Doctor Gilchrist is in fact the other remaining Anasazi. As was predicted elsewhere, but now we have confirmation of that fact.

Dang, Paul, now you have to explain how a woman in her early forties is a surviving member of a lost tribe that disappeared around the swap from BCE to CE.
Get out of my brain! This is close to exactly what I wanted to write...

I sit in the confusion corner...waiting...

...waiting...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Opus the Poet wrote:OK, exercising my powers of deduction, given that the 'gate is keyed to Anasazi genetic markers, that Lily is one of two remaining Anasazi, and that Katheryn Gilchrist was able to operate the 'gate, that must mean that our Dear Doctor Gilchrist is in fact the other remaining Anasazi. As was predicted elsewhere, but now we have confirmation of that fact.

Being a last member of a lost race does not necessarily mean that she is from that time. She could very well be the only one with the genetic marker in present day is all. Then again we could be looking at some type of retrograde amnesia that wiped out her past memory before the dig twenty years ago and she is immortal and does not know it. But we will see the truth soon enough (I hope, the suspense is murder).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:Being a last member of a lost race does not necessarily mean that she is from that time. She could very well be the only one with the genetic marker in present day is all. But we will see the truth soon enough (I hope, the suspense is murder).
Very true but it leads to the question "How does The Director know Kath's genetic makup?".
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Wonder if Lily is supposed to look "off" in that last panel today, something to do with the gate or her Anasazi self.

Look at the change in her face/head, the melding of her fingers, and the weird almost broken position of her wrist. They're all very different from how we've even seen her or the other humans in Wapsi drawn in the past.
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

The dear doctor may just be the last surviving descendant, rather than a living fossil like Lily.

But for Kath to be the only scion of this lineage means there must have been a catastrophic disaster that must have wiped out all but one living Anasazi who whent on to sire a lineage that never successfully branched into multiple families. a family tree that only ever produced a single branch.

If Lilly was turned after the Anasazi apocalypse then that opens the neat posibility. (and we know Paul's penchant for this kinda twist) that Lilly is Kaths great,great,great,great.................great, grandmother.

What are the odds?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Mark N wrote:Being a last member of a lost race does not necessarily mean that she is from that time. She could very well be the only one with the genetic marker in present day is all. Then again we could be looking at some type of retrograde amnesia that wiped out her past memory before the dig twenty years ago and she is immortal and does not know it.
Add in the option of "Kath will be going back to that time", and I think we've covered the bases. (Straight time travel seems unlikely though, given how the time loops worked, and further loops seem unlikely for reasons of story dynamics. Just covering that base ...)

Yep. Kath "can use it", so she's counted among Lily's "only we". Which is Anasazi, unless I read Lily (and Atsali's latest exposition) very wrong.

Lily doesn't know for sure it was Kath who used it, though. She might be considering alternatives. Atsali? Nah. Kidnapping? Well ... she still doesn't know who piloted the chopper ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Well, that settles it then.

Kat is either a super-long-living anazasi (unlikely, we already have enough immortals) or is the last from a line of them.

Big question to me is stll: Is Katherine being set-up by The Library to discover this the hard way, and did The Library become aware of Kat's heritage when Kat visited (and fainted) the first time? I wonder.

And what is switcharoo-Brandi's part in all of this? Trying to keep the stargates shut by manipulating the last Anasazi to be in one place, and "neutralize" them, for fear of them endangering her grid, through their ability to use the stargates.(and thusly accidentally opening the gates for the elder gods)? Bud was scared of Brandi, and now I am too....

Ditzy Brandi might refuse to kill, but I am not so sure about the other part of her split-personality. I dunno.. Something's off.
Last edited by Jay-Em on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

shadowinthelight wrote:If she's trying to signal "live long and prosper" in the last panel she's doing it wrong. :P
Ummm yeah... hehehe

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&p=17335#p17335
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:The BBVC sends a big thank you to Paul for panels one and two.
Then of course there's this... LOL
Attachments
Break Your Jaw.jpg
Break Your Jaw.jpg (99.79 KiB) Viewed 11240 times
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

The only surprising thing we've learned today is that Lily thinks she can squeeze six people into that tiny alcove. But it will be fun to watch.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I had a thought, but going back and looking at the archives kind of put a damper on it.

Kath said here that Ancestor Baby and the other dolls were discovered in Mapami by Orson Miller in 1976. Some one wondered in the forum around that time if maybe ancestor baby didn't represent Katherine.

Take it one step further. Maybe Ancestor Baby was Katherine, a child held in suspended animation and then released by Miller, or some one else studying the dolls. The MiB becomes aware of her, adopts her out , and the last living (non undead) Anasasi enters modern society having no clue that she's from an ancient civilization. It would explain Kath getting into archeology. She would feel a compultion to connect with the past. The only thing that throws it off is the date of Ancestor Baby's discovery, 1976. Kath is in her mid 40s and Wapsi generally coresponds to real time thanks to time skips and whatnot.

Of course, instead of an infant, Katherine may have been around 6 or 7 when she was put in suspended animation, and who ever let her out estimated her age. Of course, that would give Katherine memories of living as an Anasasi. But then there's always a little mind wipe and/or memory suppression. Kath may have enough residual memory of her old life that when coupled with the incident at the Black Sea dig, she really dosen't trus anyone in athority.

All the above is Wild Mass Guessing, of course. :D
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Dunno why but strips like this just always bring the Earl of Lemongrab to mind