See You At Mesa Verde 2013-04-25

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: See You At Mesa Verde 2013-04-25

Post by Fairportfan »

Sidhekin wrote:I didn't mean to question what Lily knows – nor did I mean to add to the confusion; sorry. :)

I meant to note that Brandi is talking about "Lily", and though K&A haven't heard that name, they both know who she's talking about.
A further thought - If they see a vampire, and they're told that there's an Anasazi running around, the reasonable assumption, it seems to me, is that the vampire is the Anasazi.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

eee wrote:On a different question, after consideration I've concluded Brandi would HAVE to be aware of SDO if this is a case of split personality. There'd be hours of her life disappearing from her memory, she'd be being told that people she doesn't know would know her, and she's apparently aware that she runs the MiB and in fact set that agency up, as well as did some extremely heavy lifting herself in establishing the Vimana Cell network. All this couldn't be escaping her notice; she must know.
People with split personalities are often not aware of the missing time unless it's brought t their attention, or unless it's excessive.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Umm...no honey, you don't. You see, it would take a seriously traumatic series of events to create that kind of personality and...hey! Are you even paying attention, young lady?!?

:P
You'd think that Atsali might have learned a bit more by now, about being careful what you wish for - "adventure" didn't work out quite the way she had expected that it would :)
Also, I'm really glad today isn't Friday. :)
Aww, geez... now you've done it! You've just taunted the Cliffhanger Monster and his minion, Sudden Subplot Transition. :(
notStanley

Post by notStanley »

"any secrets are under your control" : It is rather annoying to be told I am in charge of something that I have never heard of before, and do not even know what questions to ask to find out what I do not know about it! then have figure out who to keep it secret from without knowing who already knows what. "the hell" INDEED!!!

any of those 420 brownies left?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

notStanley wrote:"any secrets are under your control" : It is rather annoying to be told I am in charge of something that I have never heard of before, and do not even know what questions to ask to find out what I do not know about it! then have figure out who to keep it secret from without knowing who already knows what. "the hell" INDEED!!!

any of those 420 brownies left?
I hope those weren't the Alice B. Toklas brownies that I had, my brina does'ttn work ao well wjen i"M OH CRAP!
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

davids4250 wrote:If Brandi had two (or more) personalities, Bud and Jin would know. They have been together for thousands of years. Something like that would have come out. I don't know who this is, but it is not Brandi! And I think Katherine realizes that.

She said that she, Jin, and Bud were sent to different places by the Library, but there has been no indication in the past that the Library has any control over any of the GG.. As far as we know, the only controlling source outside of themselves is Monica.
Seriously... no kidding. That was my interpretation of the facts as well. Monica controls the GGs... Even Tepoz said that the GGs were under her control because she was the Glyph reader. I haven't really seen any of the GGs complain about this arrangement either...

So, why is the library all of the sudden controlling the GGs?

The only thing I can think of is that the library is not so much controlling them as it is dispatching them to a hot spot, as in someone pointing and yelling FIRE! to a fireman. It can be argued that this is a form of control... but if this is in the future of Wapsi by even a few years from the past arc, and all of the GG's are members of the MiB, you would think Monica would know...

*Shuts up, zips my lip and grabs a cup of Abu Suroor tea and a scone from Tina in the Confusion Corner*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

This Brandi seems to be having difficulty hiding the "Insufficient Data For Meaningful Answer" moments. Whoever programmed this Shabti/LMD/Shikigami/Hard Light Hologram must be flying by the seat of their pants if Kath is playing things close to the vest. I trust her mistrust.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Boxilar wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Brandi: "I don't like myself when I think like that." In that case, Brandi's gonna have words with director Odoya when they face each other next morning.

In the mirror.....
Probably. If Brandi is even aware of SD Odoya. Still, it makes sense. Katherine is probably the best person to discover the secrets at Mapami and decide if the universe at large is ready for them. While she is part of those "in the know" she is not part of the inner circle of Monica, Phix, Shelly and the GGG s. She'll be able to best decide what needs to be known, who needs to know it, and what needs to remain hidden.

I'll I'll admit SDO's methods are a bit... unorthodox.
Arcane might be a better choice of words.
I think SDO's entire persona is committed to manipulating circumstances to particular aims.
In other words, she's the ultimate psychopath.
One of those aims is keeping her other half more-or-less sane by keeping Brandi informed on a Need-to-Know basis, so they are communicating after a fashion. SDO, on the other hand, gets her information on the wants and needs of Brandi by the same methods she uses to read anyone else in addition to more bodily info.
So I think the two are very much aware of each other, at least as well as they could be.
SDO is very much aware of one other factor.
The mere fact of Knowing alters one's thinking, so she has effectively appointed Kathrine Gilchrist as the Keeper of That Which Might Need to Remain Secret, with Atsali as her understudy and backup.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:Aww, geez... now you've done it! You've just taunted the Cliffhanger Monster and his minion, Sudden Subplot Transition. :(
Ah, the acolytes of "Stan, The Lesser Evil" will surely make their presence known now!... the question du jour now becomes: Who will Paul switch to for next week's strips?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

shadowinthelight wrote:
zachariah wrote:BTW does Brandi have a theme song? I'm sure Sali needs a new ring tone.
UTFO - Split Personality
We should at least mention Looking Glass's Brandy.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

eee wrote:On a different question, after consideration I've concluded Brandi would HAVE to be aware of SDO if this is a case of split personality. There'd be hours of her life disappearing from her memory...

Yeah, that was suspicious before lolcats. There are only so many centuries you can spend drunk before you wonder what you did. ("France had a revolution? That wasn't because of me, was it?")
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

bmonk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
zachariah wrote:BTW does Brandi have a theme song? I'm sure Sali needs a new ring tone.
UTFO - Split Personality
I posted this the other day in the fan art section: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&start=1000#p16899

By the way, if Lily uses the Stargate, she has a 1 in 3 chance of making it to the right place? In mean she really doesn't know for sure where the girls went, at least that's the way I see it.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

bmonk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
UTFO - Split Personality
Yanno, that could very well explain it - "through the looking glass, everything becomes different."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

RunningBull wrote:By the way, if Lily uses the Stargate, she has a 1 in 3 chance of making it to the right place? In mean she really doesn't know for sure where the girls went, at least that's the way I see it.
From these pages:
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/taking-charge/ and http://wapsisquare.com/comic/last-two/
and probably this as well http://wapsisquare.com/comic/going-to-mapimi/
it is implied that the Stargates are a transport system with many-to-many connections, not one-to-one. So the library either sent someone to each of the possible destinations for this portal, or selected the most likely based on knowledge of Kathryn’s personality.

Speaking of the Library … does anyone want to bet on whether the instructions that dispatched the girls being passed on by Phix or Nudge, or just by a voice from on high? In the later case, imagine how Phix must feel after having spent eons in silence, and now IT WON’T SHUT UP!
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Julie

Post by Julie »

DilyV wrote:
davids4250 wrote:If Brandi had two (or more) personalities, Bud and Jin would know. They have been together for thousands of years. Something like that would have come out. I don't know who this is, but it is not Brandi! And I think Katherine realizes that.

She said that she, Jin, and Bud were sent to different places by the Library, but there has been no indication in the past that the Library has any control over any of the GG.. As far as we know, the only controlling source outside of themselves is Monica.
Seriously... no kidding. That was my interpretation of the facts as well. Monica controls the GGs... Even Tepoz said that the GGs were under her control because she was the Glyph reader. I haven't really seen any of the GGs complain about this arrangement either...

So, why is the library all of the sudden controlling the GGs?

The only thing I can think of is that the library is not so much controlling them as it is dispatching them to a hot spot, as in someone pointing and yelling FIRE! to a fireman. It can be argued that this is a form of control... but if this is in the future of Wapsi by even a few years from the past arc, and all of the GG's are members of the MiB, you would think Monica would know...

*Shuts up, zips my lip and grabs a cup of Abu Suroor tea and a scone from Tina in the Confusion Corner*
What DilyV said. :) I don't think the Library is controlling them (didn't Monica give them free will anyway?), so much as they are willingly responding to its direction since it is a Power worth their respect.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

...though Brandi doesn't like Phix very much, as i recall.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

RunningBull wrote:
bmonk wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote: We should at least mention Looking Glass's Brandy as her theme song.
I posted this the other day in the fan art section: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14&start=1000#p16899

By the way, if Lily uses the Stargate, she has a 1 in 3 chance of making it to the right place? In mean she really doesn't know for sure where the girls went, at least that's the way I see it.
"The test of intelligence is how much a person agrees with me."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Sidhekin wrote:That was Bud: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/aboutyounow/
Ah. Right. I knew one of the GGGs didn't like her...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

My2Cents wrote:...imagine how Phix must feel after having spent eons in silence, and now IT WON’T SHUT UP!
OK I literally LOL'ed at the quoted statement.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.