Last Two 2013-04-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: Last Two 2013-04-24

Post by zachariah »

First option: is the library is controlling an image or Brandi directly and is experiencing transmission difficulties.

Second option: Brandi is being controlled directly by the library and it is censoring her words.

Third option: Brandi is more mentally disturbed than Jin is.

Fourth Option: Those cheap rip off copies from overseas markets. They look fine but always have bugs and break down.

Fifth Option: That is the last time she is going to have a peperoni, cabbage, bean, and anchovy pizza.

Sixth Option: Brandi is really from a set of Octuplets of which one was grabbed for the GG. The other seven were stored by the library for future use. They are thawed, sent, and re-frozen as need be. So we can have as many Brandi's as we want before falling flat on our faces.

Drops and empty bottle in the jar.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Jabberwonky wrote:Senior Director Oduya is Brandi under Stinky's mind control powers!
Actually, in Wapsiworld that's not as far fetched as it sounds. Of course, Stinky may just be a relay for someone else who is controlling him. Like the Elder Gods. They can't get in, but they may still be able to exert influence indirectly.
Boxilar wrote:The trauma Brandi went through may have forced her to to seperate out that part of herself who sees people as pawns on the chess board and alowed her to make the deal with the demon world.
Could be. The question now is, why does the demon world have a vested interest in all this?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

KnightDelight wrote:Could be. The question now is, why does the demon world have a vested interest in all this?
why NOT? remember, they exist outside of time and space as we know it, and have been around from even BEFORE "The Big Bang" started up this universe, they get bored. they're probably doing it for the S&G's of it.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Or, to further froth the speculation floodwaters -- Brandi is simply Brandi the golem, but -- Senior Director Oduya is a manifestation, currently using Brandi as a physical shell to interact with others!

The problem with this theory (and I freely admit it) is Brandi, the long loved and familiar, has already admitted she's seen people as pawns, and became the Chessmaster. So which "Brandi" is the fugue state? The gentle, happy one, or the master manipulator?

And will they ever meet and shake hands?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:Or, to further froth the speculation floodwaters -- Brandi is simply Brandi the golem, but -- Senior Director Oduya is a manifestation, currently using Brandi as a physical shell to interact with others!

The problem with this theory (and I freely admit it) is Brandi, the long loved and familiar, has already admitted she's seen people as pawns, and became the Chessmaster. So which "Brandi" is the fugue state? The gentle, happy one, or the master manipulator?

And will they ever meet and shake hands?
That theory sounds a bit fugued up if you ask me. Always remember KISS and you will go far. Seven-elevens are not that dense any more after all. And shouldn't that be shake hands and come out fighting?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Called it, thanks.

She's got what we used to call "MPD" - Multiple Personality Disorder.

And I'm puttin' the blame on those Lanthian priests and their attempt to control time.

They didn't read the side effects warning on the Calendar Machine: "May induce insanity."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Paul did a wonderful job of portraying the differences between naive Brandi who wouldn't hurt a fly with her wide eyed open countenance contrasting perfectly with the half closed eyed seductive mien of fem fatale Senior Director Brandilyn Oduya with secrets to keep.
I'm going out on a limb with the rest of the multi personality guessers. It is Brandi, just her "darker side" that's been compartmentalized coming to the fore ready for duty.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

Ummm... if she says "two weeks" and her head comes off, RUN! ;)

It does seem as if the dual-personality angle is the right one. I wonder whether both are truly aspects of the real Brandi, or whether the "senior director" is an externally-imposed entity (demonic or otherwise).

As I recall, dissociative personality disorder is often a result of suffering extreme abuse (frequently sexual abuse) as a child. What Brandi went through before she died could well have been such a trigger, I suppose. She might have fragmented in response to the priests' torture and from the horror of realizing that she had accidentally killed one of the babies left in her care, with the stronger and more overtly manipulative "senior director" alter coming to the fore to shield the sweet, innocent, wouldn't-kill-a-fly Asperger-limited Brandi. Perhaps Brandi's Aspergers is a direct result of this... the "senior director" might have gotten all of her emotional empathy... it's not uncommon for one dissociative personality to possess talents or characteristics that the others lack.

"They had no idea what they created that day." I think we're learning what the priests did not.

Child abuse... the "gift" that keeps on giving. :cry:
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Quote "Timotheus wrote:I've been slowly coming to suspect that Brandi may actually BE capable of acting and appearing as two persons. And even being at two places at once. As part of her deal with whoever she dealt with way back when she has two consciousnesses that can work separately or together to accomplish things. Thus her right hand may not know what her left hand is doing for real at times. Which is real spooky."

Well, maybe not the two places at once, unless those were the sounds of consciousness transfer. I guess a golem is closer to an android than a human when it comes to internal wiring.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

We are missing a point here. Who is the other still living Anasazi? Lilly is one but who is the other? It isn't McBride as she is younger than Lilly. But to last this long they would need to be immortal in some form. Could it be Kathy? I have my doubts but it is a possibility especially if it turns out she is the spider women.
Could the original pot be showing the ceremony to create the spider woman? Six sacrifices for power and a baby to become the spider woman. The spider isn't protecting the baby it is becoming the baby. That could be why Lilly was left in the desert and explain Kathy's eye's. Lilly was one of the sacrifices.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

zachariah wrote:First option: is the library is controlling an image or Brandi directly and is experiencing transmission difficulties.

Second option: Brandi is being controlled directly by the library and it is censoring her words.

Third option: Brandi is more mentally disturbed than Jin is.

Fourth Option: Those cheap rip off copies from overseas markets. They look fine but always have bugs and break down.

Fifth Option: That is the last time she is going to have a peperoni, cabbage, bean, and anchovy pizza.

Sixth Option: Brandi is really from a set of Octuplets of which one was grabbed for the GG. The other seven were stored by the library for future use. They are thawed, sent, and re-frozen as need be. So we can have as many Brandi's as we want before falling flat on our faces.

Drops and empty bottle in the jar.
Looking at that last panel smile, that doesn't 'look' like 'Senior Director Oduya'. Something about the facial expression makes me think this is another part/personality of Brandi.

Hmmm ..... Tina did pick up a 'hitchhiker' along the way [Nudge]. Is it possible that Brandi has had something similar happen?

or putting it another way (borrowing my post in yesterdays' thread)

*singing*
Time is on my side, yes it is
Time is on my side, yes it is

Sixth and a Half Option: "How Many Brandis Do We Have On This Ship?!?"

puts two tins of Perri-air in the pun jar
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Julie

Post by Julie »

Okay...so here's how my brain processed today's page:

1- What the heck? Is Brandi sick from some sort of icky energies in the area or something?

2- I sure hope that's not a "technical glitch" manifesting because she's a robot or something like that.

3- I wonder if she's been brainwashed, and this stuff is a side-effect of the process.

4- This whole scene kind of makes me wonder if polyjuice potion exists in the Wapsiverse.

5- Why in the hell isn't Kat reacting to Brandi's weirdness??

6- Wait...did Brandi just say that Lily is one of the two remaing Anasazi?? :shock:

So yeah...happily sitting my butt down in my little piece of Confusion Corner with some brownies to make me feel better about the brain hurt this is causing. :P (Also, the MPD idea does help some of this business make sense. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that works out.)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Well, if it IS multiple personality disorder, then I shudder to think what the ill effects of that will be...

...pass those brownies.

Wait, are the brownies mayhap left over from 4/20? ;-)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

1. Pass.
2. She's a golem. Kinda like a robot. Or something.
3. She's a golem. She has no brain, washed or dirty.
4. Pass.
5. In particular, "Miss Gilchrist"? Kath adresses her as "Brandi", and Brandi speaks of "Monica", "Bud", and "Jin". Is the formality warrented? Ah, but we might see Kath's reaction next. (Odd contrast with "Lily", though. I guess the surname is not original ...)
6. Yes. Lovely, throwaway bait. Could be anything – red herring, setup for an upcoming character, or even a hint of some already presented character's secret background. Note and pass.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wdot wrote:Paul did a wonderful job of portraying the differences between naive Brandi who wouldn't hurt a fly with her wide eyed open countenance contrasting perfectly with the half closed eyed seductive mien of fem fatale Senior Director Brandilyn Oduya with secrets to keep.
I'm going out on a limb with the rest of the multi personality guessers. It is Brandi, just her "darker side" that's been compartmentalized coming to the fore ready for duty.
Next research project: an archive dive.

Other than in today's panel, and during the "Lily meets the Senior Director", have we ever seen this aspect of Brandilyn Oduya portrayed? That half-lidded-eyes smile is quite distinctive, and offhand I can't recall seeing it on other occasions.

If these dual-personality speculations turn out to be correct I think I'll refer to her as "Brandi" and "Oduya". I have a feeling that Oduya has been around as a distinct entity for a long time... long before the MIB as such were created (since Oduya was very probably one of the creators of the MIB, according to what Euryale told Monica).

Based on Brandi's comment about the two MIB agents "supposedly" being able to recognize her, I infer that the two personality alters are indeed significantly dissociated... Brandi doesn't remember what Oduya has experienced, and perhaps vice versa.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I like the split personality switchover idea.

Notice that in the last panel she knows Lily's name, as opposed to "Supposedly the MIB agents will recognise me."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:Ummm... if she says "two weeks" and her head comes off, RUN! ;)

It does seem as if the dual-personality angle is the right one. I wonder whether both are truly aspects of the real Brandi, or whether the "senior director" is an externally-imposed entity (demonic or otherwise).

As I recall, dissociative personality disorder is often a result of suffering extreme abuse (frequently sexual abuse) as a child. What Brandi went through before she died could well have been such a trigger, I suppose. She might have fragmented in response to the priests' torture and from the horror of realizing that she had accidentally killed one of the babies left in her care, with the stronger and more overtly manipulative "senior director" alter coming to the fore to shield the sweet, innocent, wouldn't-kill-a-fly Asperger-limited Brandi. Perhaps Brandi's Aspergers is a direct result of this... the "senior director" might have gotten all of her emotional empathy... it's not uncommon for one dissociative personality to possess talents or characteristics that the others lack.

"They had no idea what they created that day." I think we're learning what the priests did not.

Child abuse... the "gift" that keeps on giving. :cry:
Yes, especially on that last--because those children who were abused have a greater tendency to abuse others in turn.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Timotheus wrote:Quote "Timotheus wrote:I've been slowly coming to suspect that Brandi may actually BE capable of acting and appearing as two persons. And even being at two places at once. As part of her deal with whoever she dealt with way back when she has two consciousnesses that can work separately or together to accomplish things. Thus her right hand may not know what her left hand is doing for real at times. Which is real spooky."

Well, maybe not the two places at once, unless those were the sounds of consciousness transfer. I guess a golem is closer to an android than a human when it comes to internal wiring.
I doubt she does any bi-location either, but poiting might make it possible. That is to say, being able to poit back and forth so many times a second, the poiter appears to be in two places at once. She would also have to be able to hold two conversations at once using two different personalities. Not to mention having to overcome the sound associated with the onset and arrival aspects of the the poit maneuver. That may not occur more than once, however, since the air never has the opportunity to rush in or be displaced by the body's transference after the initial poit.

Someone also mentioned using Brandi as a shell. Since we know demons can control a person and make them appear to be a functioning human, why not, with the hosts permission, exercise a degree of control of a golem as well. So the Senior Director may be a combination of Brandi the chessmaster and some demons. The demon network would certainly have knowledge of many things going on in the human world at any given time. Not to mention their long term expertise. That could be the terrible bargain she made. Giving demons at least some control over one of the most powerful forces in the galaxy and hoping they did not misuse it. Though they may still have to overcome some part of "Brandi" to gain that level of power and control.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Can I just say that this is more than a little weird even by Wapsiverse standards? Like Justin is he younger brother of Prometheus weird?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

I have a question that I haven't seen brought up yet. This is the second time we've had someone refer to Katherine as 'Miss Gilchrist'. Lily did the same thing a few weeks ago and it's been bugging me ever since then....

Shouldn't it be Dr. Gilchrist?

I don't have, and don't know anybody who has, a post-graduate degree of any kind but I always though that having a Doctorate in something gave you the privilege of being called 'Doctor'

Of course, she could just prefer not to be called Dr Gilchrist or just hasn't had/taken the opportunity to correct them yet.

Just my thoughts.

(Oh, and while I'm at it. Hi there! Can anyone tell me where to find confusion corner?)
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)