Going to Mapimi 2013-04-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
RunningBull

Re: Going to Mapimi 2013-04-18

Post by RunningBull »

Ok, it is like 1,200 miles from Palenque to Mapimi, and Kat has no shoes, money, or ID.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

RunningBull wrote:Ok, it is like 1,200 miles from Palenque to Mapimi, and Kat has no shoes, money, or ID.

And yet I think the stargate type item they just came through will move them there effortlessly.

AS for ID and money... I'm sure MIB will have that covered if they catch up.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Obviously they want to keep their conversation secret, as they are about to use the zone of silence in Mapimi :lol:

Seriously though, what could possibly be in Mapimi that is relevant to this story line, other than it is the best place to "disappear" from technological searches?
Which raises another question. Once they "poit" there using the big touch tone pad, how do they leave? Is there another phone at the other end? :?: Or a library annex perhaps? Possible at the rear of the tourist shop nearby. . .IDK, just tossing spitballs at this point.

And if the MIB and Vamps are "good guys", why is Kat hell bent on ditching them? Is she just naturally paranoid, or did she see something that needs to stay hidden? and who was shooting at her in her younger days---I am losing track of the loose threads :?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wapsi wrote:
jwhouk wrote:So THAT'S how they poit.
*Phix hands you a cookie* =)
Makes sense... poiting and stargating being based on the same set of phenomena. Be interesting to learn whether the Library portal system (and interdimensional travel) have a similar basis, or whether they're spatial wormholes, or whether there's a third set of phenomena in use.

Since the Akashic Record has been cited here... I might also speculate that it could be involved in how the Phoenix Blood process works. If the presence of Phoenix Blood allows Monica to "rewind" most of her body form to an earlier version, it implies that a record of the earlier Monica must exist somewhere and be accessible. It could be an "internal" record (within the spike), or it might be an image in the Akashic Record, "bookmarked" for access by the spike at the time it was activated. Hmmm... the Record as a four-dimensional (at least) hologram... interesting stuff to muse about.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:Akashic records and quantum theory... very interesting, in a couple of ways!

For one thing, this discussion seems to confirm that Atsali knows a lot more than the average teenager would... I get the feeling her "bookish" interests don't stop at classic adventure stories! We've already seen indications that she's "rich on theory and shy on practice", perhaps in part as a result of being an orphan... maybe she compensated for the lack of a family environment by diving deep into a search for knowledge, practical or otherwise? Quite the little book-nerd, is our little irrepressible chatterbox!

And the specifics of stargates... also very interesting. It's been decades since I read about Theosophy back in college, but the Wikipedia article confirms what I recall. The Akashic record is supposed to be a massive memory of everything has occurred, imprinted into the very "aether" (the fabric of space-time itself, in effect) that can be accessed and viewed in some fashion. In Theosophical thinking, it plays a part in how one is evaluated and judged after death, I believe... the "your whole life flashes across your eyes as you die" experience is supposed to be a replaying of your personal slice of the records, so you can truly see what you have done in your life and how it affected other people.

So... in this Wapsi context, what Atsali seems to be saying is that stargates don't involve the warping of space ("stitching" two separate places together via a shortcut path in space-time). Rather, they may operate by "unwriting" the information which encodes your mass/energy/existence from one point in space-time, and "rewriting" you back into existence at another point... in effect, updating the Akashic record of your existence. The Universe "forgets about you" in one place and begins "remembering you" in another place. How the information is transferred from one place to another seems to be a quantum mechanical effect... I'd guess using the phenomenon known as "entanglement" (a.k.a. "spooky action at a distance"). Entanglement is very real, and the effects can be utilized across great distances. Measuring one entangled particle affects the other one in the pair instantaneously, regardless of distance... but for quantum reasons it seems to be impossible to use this to actually convey any information faster than the speed of light, alas. I keep hoping somebody will find a tricky way around this limitation... it would be worldshaking if ever accomplished!

If I've got that anywhere near right... Paul, you continue to amaze me... a very clever and inventive synthesis of ideas!
Funny thing is that this reminds me of a Unified Field Theory I heard a couple of decades ago that if you can alter the energy field of an object and make it match another place's, it will take that object and transport it to the other location in an instant. No wormhole or hyperspace needed. The Akashic field is sounding like the place that one came from. Either way, I always figured that Paul was going to avoid 'Star Trek Transporter' methods in how the girls poit.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
as363

Post by as363 »

I'll go along with Mt P. on your "Poiting" call . And a cookie to boot - High Praise indeed.!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:Akashic records and quantum theory... very

So... in this Wapsi context, what Atsali seems to be saying is that stargates don't involve the warping of space ("stitching" two separate places together via a shortcut path in space-time). Rather, they may operate by "unwriting" the information which encodes your mass/energy/existence from one point in space-time, and "rewriting" you back into existence at another point... in effect, updating the Akashic record of your existence. The Universe "forgets about you" in one place and begins "remembering you" in another place. How the information is transferred from one place to another seems to be a quantum mechanical effect... I'd guess using the phenomenon known as "entanglement" (a.k.a. "spooky action at a distance"). Entanglement is very real, and the effects can be utilized across great distances. Measuring one entangled particle affects the other one in the pair instantaneously, regardless of distance... but for quantum reasons it seems to be impossible to use this to actually convey any information faster than the speed of light, alas. I keep hoping somebody will find a tricky way around this limitation... it would be worldshaking if ever accomplished!

If I've got that anywhere near right... Paul, you continue to amaze me... a very clever and inventive synthesis of ideas!
I think I disagree with one of your postulates. The Akashic record, according to wiki lol, is a collection of knowledge and information. That could be what the library is. So it is the source of where everything is. You don't need to rewrite any part of it to be able to move around, just move. The Quantum aspect is that by that theory an object can be in many different places at the same time. That makes the record the navigation part and the device matches quantum states between the two locations. So the person is at the other location without having to do anything but stand still. The only energy required would be to match the quantum states between the two locations for the thing being moved. SO using the two together would provide the ability to move without needing a stargate. The flash when the girls arrived was probably from the explosion of the chopper and their flying out of the building is the result of the impact of Sali flying into Kathy. The energy and momentum would transfer through matched locations on a quantum state.

While poiting may work like that I have my doubts. The poit sound probably comes from the air filling the locations just vacated, or a reverse transfer of the air they poit into. If they poit into occupied space there are likely to be grave consequences for them as two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Bad things happen.

Points for original thinking though and you might be right.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"I Poited Over To Mapimi, And All I Got Was This T-Shirt"
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

kingklash wrote:"I Poited Over To Mapimi, And All I Got Was This T-Shirt"

Or the version that fits my luck and lack of coordination : I Poited Over To Mapimi, And All I Got Was This T-Shirt and section of wall.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Wapsi wrote:
*Phix hands you a cookie* =)
It also explains the way the Library works.
It simply reads the Akashic records for the particular kind of information that pertains to written information and reproduces it, thus any record removed from the library and not returned is never really lost.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And the Lanthians used this to basically wipe out their entire civilization.

...or DID they?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:And the Lanthians used this to basically wipe out their entire civilization.

...or DID they?
If they a good grasp on how Telepoitaion works they wouldn't have needed the Chimera. Why build a hard to control monster that can, and did, destroy half the world when you could teleport a mountain over the capital city of your enemies?

Other than it's Mad Science 101, that is...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And the Lanthians used this to basically wipe out their entire civilization.

...or DID they?
If they a good grasp on how Telepoitaion works they wouldn't have needed the Chimera. Why build a hard to control monster that can, and did, destroy half the world when you could teleport a mountain over the capital city of your enemies?

Other than it's Mad Science 101, that is...
From my take on things the Lanthian civilization may not have had this information. The Library may have been unknown (or removed from their access when the power shifted) to them. After the Chimera went berserk the Titans were them made aware of the disaster and Bia and Charon took things from there. But that is just my idea.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

RunningBull wrote:Ok, it is like 1,200 miles from Palenque to Mapimi, and Kat has no shoes, money, or ID.
She does however have the keys to a stargate... so she doesn't really need all the above.

*walks out humming the tune to "The Girl from Mapiminema"*

*tosses an old AM radio into the pun jar*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

jwhouk wrote:"We're going to Map-i-mi, Map-i-mi, Map-imi
We're gong to Map-i-mi..."

(Brandi's voice) "Yo, I don't think so."
hopefully our two adventurers stay out of trouble in Mapimi.

I hear the guys and girls at CSI Mapimi are particularly dedicated at catch troublemakers.

The guys over on the Mapami Vice squad on the other hand, I think Katherine and Atsili can handle.

*a short web search later*

:shock: I knew the T-shirts existed, but

*warning* youtube links

THIS and THIS :o

That needs to be it's own TV series :lol:

* bonus video HERE
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Jabberwonky wrote:If they a good grasp on how Telepoitaion works they wouldn't have needed the Chimera. Why build a hard to control monster that can, and did, destroy half the world when you could teleport a mountain over the capital city of your enemies?

We've never gotten any explanation of why the Lanthians created the Chimera. This has come up before. And it's worth asking, although we hope egotism or power was a major factor. If the Chimera was instead a plausible solution...what was their problem?
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Grantwhy wrote:THIS and THIS :o

That needs to be it's own TV series :lol:

I loved Miami Mice (and seeing Kermit the Frog again really takes me back). Have you seen the live action Dora the Explorer? If you like the preview, watch the whole adventure.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I think their practical problem was having someone like Honeydew heading their R&D...

"My apprentice, Beaker, will demonstrate that the Chimera is under complete control..."
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote:The Quantum aspect is that by that theory an object can be in many different places at the same time. That makes the record the navigation part and the device matches quantum states between the two locations. So the person is at the other location without having to do anything but stand still. The only energy required would be to match the quantum states between the two locations for the thing being moved.
Interesting. Why stop at "many?" We (and indeed everything) may actually be everywhere all the time. So one could go anywhere by, as you say, a matching quantum energy process. One never really "moves" at all since he/she is already there, no matter where "there" is. The only hitch is that the person has to go to that place at least once for it to work. Perhaps because the body needs to "learn" the quantum state of that location. Once learned, it can return at will. The mind does the matching unconsciously. Apparently one can even send other matter to that place, as Monica did by poiting snow away. Not to mention that poiters can carry hitchhikers along. Also a good way for poiters new to that place to learn the quantum state.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Wyvern wrote:We've never gotten any explanation of why the Lanthians created the Chimera. This has come up before. And it's worth asking, although we hope egotism or power was a major factor. If the Chimera was instead a plausible solution...what was their problem?
I have the impression that the Chimera was created by those who wanted to overthrow the Lanthians. Surprise!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff