Here With Me 2013-04-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
shadowinthelight

Here With Me 2013-04-12

Post by shadowinthelight »

Shoot your friend in the chest? Yeah, I think that qualifies as being an asshole.

Some appropriate music. (NSFW)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Re: Here With Me 2013-04-12

Post by Dave »

It's always important to show utter respect for your partner!

(and for your fellow forumites, even if they do ninja ya!)

I guess this confirms that Wapsiverse vampires don't bleed (although I suppose they might leak, if they've just finished their liquid lunch or had a Meatsnaq).
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

This works on so many levels....

Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

If I were any of the other MIB guys I would be moving as far away from Lily right now as possible. Maybe use that Sat phone to call for evac...
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Talk about taking cathartic venting to extremes. Bitter much?

A 9mm FMJ at point blank range is going to shatter the Manubrium at the top of the sternum. So after cracking that bone, the slug is going to lose a lot of kinetic energy fast, if it didn't pass completely through the body.
So, Lilly's partner is either going to spit out the mangled slug or a bunch of bullet fragments. Lilly is lucky that Suzi, is such an understanding friend.

Now while Lilly isn't sure why she's out there having all those old emotional and physiological scars torn open fresh, I'm pretty sure that if the Library doesn't know why, Brandi does. After all she is the Chess Master.
Last edited by Stigmartyr762 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

shadowinthelight wrote:Shoot your friend in the chest? Yeah, I think that qualifies as being an asshole.

Some appropriate music. (NSFW)
Yeah but Lily was just venting. Both herself and Suzy.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:Talk about taking cathartic venting to extremes. Bitter much?

A 9mm FMJ at point blank range is going to shatter the Manubrium at the top of the sternum. So after cracking that bone, the slug is going to lose a lot of kinetic energy fast, if it didn't pass completely through the body.
So, Lilly's partner is either going to spit out the mangled slug or a bunch of bullet fragments. Lilly is lucky that Suzi, is such an understanding friend.

Now while Lilly isn't sue why she's out there having old emotional and physiological scars torn open, I'm pretty sure that if the Library doesn't know why, Brandi does. After all she is the Chess Master.
The library does not work for Brandi. It is independent of MIB who provide services to it. So I really doubt BRandi has her finger in this one. Don't forget it was the library that sent them, not MIB.

A second point at that range there should be a great big GSR stain on Suzy, and burning skin, and she should has been knocked on her rear end by the impact. So normal physics of the shot are not being followed here.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Lily actually uses the Beretta 96 in .40 cal. =)
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I don't think this is Brandi's doing, There were too many unknown variables in Kath/Sali ending up where they did - factors that could have killed either one or both. Brandi would have eliminated those factors if this was her plan - that is why she is the Chessmaster - the people being manipulated do not even realize that they are.
I don't think we know enough about the Library to know what, if anything, it is planning. And if it exists in a different dimension and has portals in all times and places, it could well have informed the MIB about Kath/Sali's trip long before Kath herself knew she was going to the Library, thus their arrival so soon after our two adventurers.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

I'm assuming that when the choppers landed they unassed all the gear they'd need to rappel down to Kath. so, right about now, three of them are rushing over to the gear to sort out the ropes... two more are looking for some way to secure the ropes so they can rappel down into the crater, and two more said f**k this and just dove over the edge, figuring they'd stand a better chance of survival with gravity than with Lily in the mood she's in.

All in all, I'd say Suze took that really well. Judging from Suze's reaction, I get the feeling this is a common occurance between these two. I'm really worried about Lily though... the crazed look in her eyes in the first panel doesn't bode well. The Commander of the mission isn't supposed to just fall apart and break down.

I think Brandi somehow knows of Lily's past and sent her out here deliberately... to find answers, or to just survive this time, who knows... but I can kinda sorta understand where Lily is coming from on that point... This is the second time she's been stranded in this desert... and the last time didn't end well.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:A second point at that range there should be a great big GSR stain on Suzy, and burning skin, and she should has been knocked on her rear end by the impact. So normal physics of the shot are not being followed here.
People don't get knocked over by pistol shots except in movies. The impact energy transferred to the target is the same exerted on the gun by firing the bullet when at point-blank range. At longer ranges the target experience less impact than the shooter, because the expanding gases from the propellant are no longer a factor.

You want to knock someone over with a gun, get a .50cal machine gun or a punt gun (Very large bore shotgun -- I would recommend a ‘A’ gauge, basically it is a 2lb cannon). Both of these require a secure mounting base to take the recoil, firing one of these while holding it will knock you over and probably break a number of bones.

Or you could use a recoilless rifle or rocket launcher.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

zachariah wrote:

The library does not work for Brandi. It is independent of MIB who provide services to it. So I really doubt BRandi has her finger in this one. Don't forget it was the library that sent them, not MIB.
They *said* it was the Library that sent them. L & S work for Brandi, period. Kinda odd they're here, since they were 'attached' to Monica. The library might make a request....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

My2Cents wrote:
zachariah wrote:A second point at that range there should be a great big GSR stain on Suzy, and burning skin, and she should has been knocked on her rear end by the impact. So normal physics of the shot are not being followed here.
People don't get knocked over by pistol shots except in movies. The impact energy transferred to the target is the same exerted on the gun by firing the bullet when at point-blank range. At longer ranges the target experience less impact than the shooter, because the expanding gases from the propellant are no longer a factor.

You want to knock someone over with a gun, get a .50cal machine gun or a punt gun (Very large bore shotgun -- I would recommend a ‘A’ gauge, basically it is a 2lb cannon). Both of these require a secure mounting base to take the recoil, firing one of these while holding it will knock you over and probably break a number of bones.

Or you could use a recoilless rifle or rocket launcher.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ossTheRoom
NOTDilbert wrote:
zachariah wrote:The library does not work for Brandi. It is independent of MIB who provide services to it. So I really doubt BRandi has her finger in this one. Don't forget it was the library that sent them, not MIB.
They *said* it was the Library that sent them. L & S work for Brandi, period. Kinda odd they're here, since they were 'attached' to Monica. The library might make a request....
ParanormalNews Flash - MIB agents currently on loan to The Library have royally bogged a mission in the deserts near Mesa Verde. Film at Eleven.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

My2Cents wrote:
The amount of energy imparted to the body depends on the mass of the bullet combined with its speed. After that it is whether the bullet hits somethings solid. If soft tissue is hit the bullet does just go through without much impact movement. But hitting a major bone does result in movement. The bullet hit just at the top of the sternum, okay it may have gone above it but it would still have hit the spine, and the impact would have moved the body. The amount of movement would depend on balance, surprise, and other factors. So yes she might not get knocked on her rear, but she could have been. We don't know if the bullet actually did hit the bone.
Anyway there still should have been a GSR stain on her chest. The muzzle is only one feet away from her and the muzzle blast did touch her, so large powder burn.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

NOTDilbert wrote:They *said* it was the Library that sent them. L & S work for Brandi, period. Kinda odd they're here, since they were 'attached' to Monica. The library might make a request....
this goes back to my post yesterday... "TRUST US!... We're from the GOVERNMENT and we're here to HELP!"... hey, i can say that the Library sent me to do XYZ task... but does that Really mean that it DID send me? and until you got back to the Library to ask the question directly to it... how would you KNOW?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Pieces are falling into place. Lily agreed to come out here on the hope she could find the answers to how she got to the wilderness where she and five others died, and why it happened. Seven Cachinka dolls were were found and six were later returned to Mesa Verde. The seventh bears a strong resemblance to one Katherene Gilkrist, archeologist, and was later found abandoned. Katherine has ... well... been shown the link between anansi culture and ancient Central American civilization. Lily may not realize it, but I think she's going to get her answers.

She just may not like them.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Kingmaker wrote:If I were any of the other MIB guys I would be moving as far away from Lily right now as possible. Maybe use that Sat phone to call for evac...
That was certainly my first thought.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Careful, your shooting close to the parts your partner uses to think. Aim about 8 or 10 inches higher. Nothing vital up there.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

My2Cents wrote: People don't get knocked over by pistol shots except in movies. The impact energy transferred to the target is the same exerted on the gun by firing the bullet when at point-blank range. At longer ranges the target experience less impact than the shooter, because the expanding gases from the propellant are no longer a factor.
Yeah, and unless the bullet hits a major bone, it won't even transfer all its energy quickly enough.

I read about a film some stunt guys did - sort of Mythbusters-on-steroids kind of thing - in which they put on vests and shot each other with various things to disprove the "knocks you flying" myth...
Donald Hamilton's Western story, The Two-Shoot Gun, has a climactic sequence involving something along the lines of a punt gun (though not quite so large; it can be fired from the shoulder while standing but it'd break your shoulder if you were braced against a wall or if you were prone) and a lynch mob.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Bud_Fanboi

Post by Bud_Fanboi »

Fairportfan wrote:
My2Cents wrote: People don't get knocked over by pistol shots except in movies. The impact energy transferred to the target is the same exerted on the gun by firing the bullet when at point-blank range. At longer ranges the target experience less impact than the shooter, because the expanding gases from the propellant are no longer a factor.
Yeah, and unless the bullet hits a major bone, it won't even transfer all its energy quickly enough.

I read about a film some stunt guys did - sort of Mythbusters-on-steroids kind of thing - in which they put on vests and shot each other with various things to disprove the "knocks you flying" myth...
Donald Hamilton's Western story, The Two-Shoot Gun, has a climactic sequence involving something along the lines of a punt gun (though not quite so large; it can be fired from the shoulder while standing but it'd break your shoulder if you were braced against a wall or if you were prone) and a lynch mob.
I can say through first hand experience that a 9mm round will not drop you to the floor out of impact alone. You will drop to the floor after the adrenaline wears off, in mid conversation with a police officer about what happened during the home invasion, while you are explaining "Oh it doesn't really hurt, not sure what the... Big... deal... *thud* ".

Also, while I have never fired a punt gun, an 8 gauge loaded with solid slug can possibly knock your shoulder out of the socket if you're not 100% prepared. Friend of mine is into Cowboy Action Shooting and has one. I'm not tiny. Gave me a black and blue and I admit I stumbled backward a step or two due to the recoil.

umm... anyway... Oh yeah the comic. Shot to the chest for immortal beings I guess could be considered like the Agent Gibbs head slap.