Point Of Entrance 2013-04-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Stigmartyr762

Re: Point Of Entrance 2013-04-05

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Katherine is so happy, that's awesome! They found a missing link connecting two ancient civilizations. Now the question remains as to where our two portal hopping cuteys have landed.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:Katherine is so happy, that's awesome! They found a missing link connecting two ancient civilizations. Now the question remains as to where our two portal hopping cuteys have landed.
We know where they landed, the Palenque Ruins. When they landed is, however, still up for grabs.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wyvern wrote:Notice that Katherine is almost exactly due south of Minneapolis. Hmm.
Not quite. She's off by a few degrees to the east. Nice thought, though.

For reference: The Minneapolis Institute of Art (which is the exterior of the Museum where we all believe Monica - and Katherine - works) is located at 44.95907, -93.27392. Palenque is at 17.48398, -92.04633. On the grid system, that would put her 27.475 degrees south and 1.228 degrees east (roughly) of where she left work this morning.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
illiad

Post by illiad »

AmriloJim wrote:Okay... now, can someone explain how either of these ancient civilizations came to set their Prime Meridian through the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, in order for current-day geocoding to work?
look carefully - she did not read coordinates, she saw the star chart, and did the math.... (now if the smart guys can tell me how???)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/expecting-anyone/
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Still trying to figure out how the Silent Zone fits into this. Mesa Verde is over 1500 km away, and Palenque is even farther.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Palenque is 3,057 km (about 1899 miles) away from Minneapolis.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

AmriloJim wrote:Okay... now, can someone explain how either of these ancient civilizations came to set their Prime Meridian through the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, in order for current-day geocoding to work?
Don't forget, the world is secretly being run by the Lanthians who were present when the Calendar Machine was turned on and therefore became Immortals. Those of them who survived the Chimera's rampage and the end of Lantis went to the New World and helped set up the civilizations there; ditto Europe and Asia. They may well have created our entire latitude / longitude system way back when, and then later shadowed played it so we normal humans thought we did it...
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Oh, Kath, even SG1 sends one of these through first! http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227 ... MALP-1.jpg
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

According to http://www.travellerspoint.com/guide/Palenque/ there is cellphone coverage in the area. So, I guess she could still call Dr Fields and request a day off!
:)
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Fairportfan wrote:Two observations:

A) A-yuh.. Someone's Got A Crush.

and

B) Katherine is Enjoying this; quite possibly Having Too Much Fun.
A) Nope, Its gonna be more Maternal. Still holdin' out for Katherine to become "MOM" ;)

and

B) Whos playing that song? I first thought Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats until Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen were mentioned.
yumitori

Post by yumitori »

They should stop by and log the geocache while they are there.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 22a45e2506
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

The Old Wolf wrote:Now all we need is for Daniel and Sha'uri to show up... ;)

and alien that some how stayed on earth after the network was activated and now wakes up and decide it good time to take over the world... incoming angry demons/aliens
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Wdot wrote:Oh, Kath, even SG1 sends one of these through first! http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227 ... MALP-1.jpg
kinda think they were pressed for time to get a exploration mule to see if its friendly atmospherics to there bodies, well they could just took the remains from the Apache, but that would taken way to much time to collect everything and put it back together
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Whos playing that song? I first thought Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats until Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen were mentioned.
It's Bill Kirchen - former guitar and singer with the LPA, with hisown group, Too Much Fun.

While looking for a good video version f "Too Much FUn" on youtube, i didn't find it.

But i did find this... (I've seen each of those guys - and the Commander, for that matter - live once each. Seeing them together might be a Guitar Hero Overdose. (Especially if either Richard Thompson or Jerry Donahue sat in...)

And, just to complete this free-associating ramble, here is Bill Kirchen doing a ten minute "Hot Rod Lincoln" (when i saw him live, it was thirteen-plus...). Note that's all on one Fender Telecaster...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Leak

Post by Leak »

wwf wrote:For those of you who are curious...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=17.48356 ... miliar...)
It's even got it's very own floating island in the sky... :o

(Or it's just a photo stitching artifact... ;))
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

KnightDelight wrote:Only in a comic could they survive a fall of that magnitude. The people who built the receiver should have put a backstop in it in case some bird girl on the wing happens to enter the transmitter end at pa-ting speed, pushing her companion out the other end with her momentum. Also, lucky the tourists aren't around.

Yeah, she established a link. Too bad she can never publish it. I guess her only reference for the transporter device is the word "Stargate." Doesn't mean it is a stargate. It may just be a poiting thingy for one place to another on earth only. We didn't see her dial anything up so this one may be limited to these two places, making it a "basic" portal. Must also be one-way since surely someone would have placed their hand in the start hand-shaped indentation by now, if there is one.
Maybe momentum is not preserved through a portal, or a properly established portal has some means to strip off excess momentum? We are not exactly dealing with a known (to us) technology here...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Wapsi wrote:
DilyV wrote:
Wait... Kath knows the start point... how does she know where she ended up?
Entrance of where they ended up. =) Sorry if that was worded funny.
Sounded fine to me. But then, you realize that my written words are more or less how I actually speak, and I do use my words in unusual ways sometimes.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

OK, so - for reasons unknown - the ancient Anasazi teleported themselves to South America & were absorbed into/became the ancient Mayans. All that remains is figuring out those reasons & why the MIB is interested, finding a way back to Minnesota, and we're home & dry. No sweat.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

MerchManDan wrote:No sweat.
Sure, what could go wrong? :lol:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
sheik

Post by sheik »

Leak wrote:
wwf wrote:For those of you who are curious...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=17.48356 ... miliar...)
It's even got it's very own floating island in the sky... :o

(Or it's just a photo stitching artifact... ;))
It is a falling leaf silly.
If you look around there is another between the camera and the building that is equally out of focus.