Cutting It Close 2013-04-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Re: Cutting It Close 04-03-2013

Post by Atomic »

eee wrote:
DilyV wrote:Oh, and by the way, Lily? YES!!!!

The big black helicopter crashes into the wall carving, resulting in a large fireball and explosion, totally obliterating the carving and leaving you stranded in the middle of the desert.

To the east, there is desert.

To the south, there is desert.

To the west there is desert.

To the north, you guessed it, more desert.

Your party has minimal gear.

What will you do? What. Will. You. Do?
Thank God you're not at risk of being eaten by Grues?
Your old friend, the brass lantern, is here.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Fairportfan wrote:
davids4250 wrote:Not only has Kath arranged for the chopper to crash into the carving, the resulting fireball will also rain down on what remains of the dig. If she is wrong about reaching a place of safety (she probably is not wrong) she has also killed herself and Atsali. Very unprofessional, Ms. Gilchrist.
It becomes more and more obvious that Katherine's PhD is from the Henry Jones jr School of Make It Up As You Go Along.
You call him Doctor Jones!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8eb0#t=53s
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

DilyV wrote:
The big black helicopter crashes into the wall carving, resulting in a large fireball and explosion, totally obliterating the carving and leaving you stranded in the middle of the desert.

I can just imagine Lily saying: "We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly." Followed sometime later by the crew chief gesturing at a pile of stuff of saying "Okay, this is absolutely everything we've salvaged from the Blackhawk wreckage." :twisted:

-- Bill
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

eee wrote:

Thank God you're not at risk of being eaten by Grues?
Well, it will be night eventually.

And moonless desert nights are DARK.

At which point, the grues come out.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

MrBill wrote:
DilyV wrote:

I can just imagine Lily saying: "We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly." Followed sometime later by the crew chief gesturing at a pile of stuff of saying "Okay, this is absolutely everything we've salvaged from the Blackhawk wreckage." :twisted:

-- Bill
That reminds me of the scene in Apollo 13 where the engineer says: "We have to make 'this' (holds up square CO2 scrubber cartridge) fit into the hole for 'this' (holds up round CO2 scrubber cartridge) using nothing but 'that' (points to the assorted table full of gear similar to what's aboard the capsule). Oh yeah... and we don't have a lot of time.

In other words, its time for every one to bend over, reach back, dig around and pull a rather large miracle out of their fourth point of contact!

However... I can't help but wonder... Remember, the crew were all away from the birds when Atsali happened... One of the reasons for that could be that they were setting up the camp site which would probably include a secure, encrypted sat-com system. They were going to be way out in the middle of an uninhabited nowhere where the very presence of a cell tower is but a dream... You don't go into that kind of situation unprepared. The first order of business would be to unload the equipment and get an encampment started more for protection against the elements than convenience. I'm sure that far out in the sticks er... rocks, the MiB wouldn't be caught without a back up comm system.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Grantwhy wrote:

>> I get out my mobile phone and ca..... aw Fiddlesticks :evil:

>> Count the number of NPCs who are wearing red shirts (It's a long walk back to base and I might get thirsty :twisted: )

>> comb the desert for clues
Yes... Cell phones probably don't work where they are... Even though you seem to be recalling the fact that Kath has Lily's phone, I'm sure somene else among the group has one. The real problem is the desolation of the area that they are in. I seriously doubt they are within range of even the closest cell tower. I can't imagine the MiB's going into a known desolate area without a back up means of commo.

The red shirt comment made me giggle... but wouldn't that make them MiR's? I'm sure that was first and foremost on Lily's mind when she saw their only means of leaving this area disolve into a twisted mass of flaming wreckage.

Crew 1: "What do we do now, Ma'am?"

Agent Pratt: "Consolidate all the gear and lets see what we have to work with. Oh, and um... who wants to volunteer to be a sippee cup?"

Crew 2: "Ma'am?" *looks around nervously at all the others, who are busy looking around at each other waiting to see who will raise their hands first.*

Agent Pratt: "Well? Come on, don't all volunteer at once." *Lily waits* "You're not going to like it if I have to voluntell you..."

At the same time, each member of the crew points to the fat guy consolidating the left over gear and not paying attention...

Agent Pratt: "Oh goodie... a big gulp. *whispers* I'm glad this isn't New York!"

Crew 3: *notices everyone is pointing at him and looks up nervously* "What did I do?"

My gosh we have such fertile imaginations!!!

*tosses a bag of Scott's Miracle gro in the pun jar*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Since cell phone reception was mentioned ... I got to thinking ...

What if Pratt has a roaming data plan?

And has configured for automatic upload of her cell phone images to, say, dropbox?

:twisted:
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

I was thinking that maybe someone would have a satellite radio or phone, not for the library but for whatever base the choppers may have come from. Gibbs would do that, a Marine always has a backup plan. Anyway I was thinking that, then I realized that Lily is, well, she's a vampire and probably doesn't ever have a backup plan.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Grantwhy wrote:

>> I get out my mobile phone and ca..... aw Fiddlesticks :evil:

>> Count the number of NPCs who are wearing red shirts (It's a long walk back to base and I might get thirsty :twisted: )

>> comb the desert for clues
thats okay she has nomnoms about 2 whole crews to sustain her while she waits for help to arrive, only thing is that she cant walk in daylight, unless of course brandy set up all members to have some arcane protection to there weakness so that can work.

but till then tonight we dine in a crater
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

zachariah wrote:Sali is the kid sidekick BTW. lol. Or would she be more the jar-jar binks?
"Mee-sa make-a da chopper go BIG boom boom!"
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

MrBill wrote:I can just imagine Lily saying: "We'd better get back, 'cause it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night... mostly." Followed sometime later by the crew chief gesturing at a pile of stuff of saying "Okay, this is absolutely everything we've salvaged from the Blackhawk wreckage." :twisted:

-- Bill
Well, the one small problem is that Agent Pratt is one of the "they" that come at night. Mostly.
sheik

Post by sheik »

OK
Despite all the talk about the crews being stranded things can't be that bad. They've all had desert survival training and probably have emergency radio location beacons.
Because of the latter, help will be arriving shortly and that's why I believe Kath's plan is a bit more elaborate than it appears.
I think it is her idea to use the Apache's fuselage, or the remains thereof, to plug the triangular hole.
Going in head first leaves the ordnance and fuel outside except for the cannon rounds (which Atsali has probably fully expended).
This will give Kathrine and Atsali many hours, if not days, before the hole is cleared and they can be followed.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Not to worry. The Library or someone knows where they are. No doubt there is a fail safe plan in place wherein if the crew doesn't report in every few hours, a search party is dispatched. They won't be without help for long.

As to the Grue. This is Wapsiverse! <kicks a chunk of copter into the pit> Nothing is off the table.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

First, there was *poit!*, now we seem to have *pa-ting!* added to the Wapsi-lexicon.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Sphinx-Napped wrote:...only thing is that she cant walk in daylight, unless of course brandy set up all members to have some arcane protection to there weakness so that can work.
Not so - we haven't seen Suzi and Lily at night, at all, yet - every time we've seen them up till now has been daytime/daylight.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Fairportfan wrote:
Sphinx-Napped wrote:...only thing is that she cant walk in daylight, unless of course brandy set up all members to have some arcane protection to there weakness so that can work.
Not so - we haven't seen Suzi and Lily at night, at all, yet - every time we've seen them up till now has been daytime/daylight.
What you know about other vampire flavors does not nessesarilly apply to Wapsipires. They can't spawn other vampires, are very low on the supernatural food chain, and can walk in daylight. A stake through the heart would probably kill them, but then, who wouldn't that kill? We also know that McBride sleeps in a plain old bed , and she does so at night. It's implied they can see in the dark as if it were daylight.
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Boxilar wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
What you know about other vampire flavors does not nessesarilly apply to Wapsipires. They can't spawn other vampires, are very low on the supernatural food chain, and can walk in daylight. A stake through the heart would probably kill them, but then, who wouldn't that kill? We also know that McBride sleeps in a plain old bed , and she does so at night. It's implied they can see in the dark as if it were daylight.

that doesnt help, you see i never stated they would spawn other vampires and for the very fact we already know how they spawn and i never once even stated about killing them you just posted 5 links that has nothing to do with what i said, you implied that i haven't been reading for along as the comic been up and actually we have seen Suzie and Lilly at work during the night shift and yes we seen them before this arc started they was always stated working the graveyard shift for the police dept it was during there introduction to brandy...

if i remeber right they can go out side but they cant be in direct sunlight and or they have to wear heavy coats i.e trenchcoats to cover there skin
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The vampire process apparently happens when you die forgotten. I'm guessing here, but if a vamp gets to the dead body and sucks the blood out (using traditional means), the individual becomes a vampire. There's probably MUCH more to it than that, but that's the simplest explanation. And I'm a big fan of Occam's Razor.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:The vampire process apparently happens when you die forgotten. I'm guessing here, but if a vamp gets to the dead body and sucks the blood out (using traditional means), the individual becomes a vampire. There's probably MUCH more to it than that, but that's the simplest explanation. And I'm a big fan of Occam's Razor.
Actually, given what Suzi was doing with "Jane Doe" ... it may happen the other way 'round; she was draining the corpse and promising that Jane wouldn't be a vampire, as i recall.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

Boxilar wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Who wouldn't be killed by a stake through the heart? Uh, Monica?
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?