Last of Eighteen 2013-03-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Last of Eighteen 2013-03-27

Post by DilyV »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Thank you for your Service all of you who have been or still are in Holes like this. And Thanks to all you NCIS/CSI's out there who can tell what caliber was used to blow the crap out of all those collegues of Katherines. Myself like a few others only noticed how "Lucky" Katherine was only losing a lock of hair, and I hope it didn't graze the back of her head. Now I ask....What is she stareing at now? More Armed Troops? More Choppers?
Now I see why she became so protective of Atsali when the Helicopters came.
I think the fact that an A-10 just saved her bacon is quite lost on Kath at the moment... Later, she will be wary of black helicopters and look upon A-10s as angels of mercy...

A few videos of A-10s. The first one you see the impacts of the rounds then hear the cannon firing as the impact point is closer than the firing aircraft...

The second video is of a range, where he firing aircraft are closer than the point of impact of the rounds... You can see why the Iraqis called the A-10 the Silent Death. The A-10 is very quiet until it is very near you because of the high bypass turbofan engines. The Iraqis also called it "The Black Gun" because of the dark green camo they were painted in during the first gulf war. By Iraqi Freedom they were painted Grey again, as they were early in their service life...

You will also note that the 30mm Gau-8 cannon sounds like the Jolly Green Giant passing gas... or a pissed off Dragon...

When you're on the ground and facing the enemy, you can have no better angel on your shoulder...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
sheik

Post by sheik »

I can attest to at least one aspect of the Avenger cannon.
The tank gun range at Ft. Chaffee AK backed up on the A-10 gunnery range there so us tankers got a real up close look at the A-10 in action.
When the Avenger fired you could actually see the A-10 slow down!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Now I ask....What is she staring at now?
First of many "thousand mile stares," for our poor Kathy I suspect.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:You can see why the Iraqis called the A-10 the Silent Death. The A-10 is very quiet until it is very near you because of the high bypass turbofan engines. The Iraqis also called it "The Black Gun" because of the dark green camo they were painted in during the first gulf war. By Iraqi Freedom they were painted Grey again, as they were early in their service life...
In Tom Clancy'sRed Storm Rising, the Russian troops call it "the Devil's Cross", because in silhouette it rather resembles the Orthodox cross.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Fairportfan wrote:
DilyV wrote:You can see why the Iraqis called the A-10 the Silent Death. The A-10 is very quiet until it is very near you because of the high bypass turbofan engines. The Iraqis also called it "The Black Gun" because of the dark green camo they were painted in during the first gulf war. By Iraqi Freedom they were painted Grey again, as they were early in their service life...
In Tom Clancy'sRed Storm Rising, the Russian troops call it "the Devil's Cross", because in silhouette it rather resembles the Orthodox cross.
One of my favorite books... I've worn out like seven copies over the years and currently have it on my kindle...

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

sheik wrote:I can attest to at least one aspect of the Avenger cannon.
The tank gun range at Ft. Chaffee AK backed up on the A-10 gunnery range there so us tankers got a real up close look at the A-10 in action.
When the Avenger fired you could actually see the A-10 slow down!
The cannon and ammo drum takes up the first 20 feet of the aircraft, mounted below the cockpit on the right of the centerline and the barrel firing does so at the 9 oclock position when viewing from the front of the aircraft. This puts the firing barrel on the centerline of the aircraft, negating yaw forces that would result from firing off center. This offset of the gun forces the nose gear to be offset to the left. It is a closed system, as in no shell casings are ejected, and yes... if the pilot lays on the trigger a little too long, the plane does slow down due to the massive recoil forces of the gun (on the order of 10,000 pounds of recoil force). The prototypes mounted the M61 Vulcan cannon. I read that they would really lean on the trigger. When they finally mounted the avenger, they tried that and came dangerously close to stalling the aircraft. As it was, the huge amount of gasses ejected from the muzzle as it fired would be sucked back and up into the engines and flame out the engines. The engines have been modified so that the fuel igniters come on during the gun firing to limit flame outs, but still pilots are warned to use short bursts. Keep in mind, at 4200rpm, a one second burst is 70 rounds fired. They say you can blow off half the tail, 2/3rds of one main wing, one engine and big chunks out of the fuselage and still make it back to base. From photos I've seen of A-10s during desert storm, I'd be tempted to say they came close to that assertion on more than one occasion.

MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

This is the best webcomic forum anywhere, ever. One can learn so much. :mrgreen:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)