One of Eighteen 2013-03-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: One of Eighteen 2013-03 26

Post by DilyV »

Boxilar wrote:
analyst wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Holy crap.
Considering the gut shots, if this is a pun, the pun jar rejects your offering. However, the good-taste jar would like to talk to you. ;)
That was in no way intended as a pun. It was, however, the strongest polite thing I could come up with on short notice.

This is 20 years ago which puts it not long after Desert Storm and all the regional instability of the post Soviet era. If it's a helo attacking, it could be a Mi24 Hind. I has a chin mounted 12.7 mm multibarreled gun and gan mount heavier ordinance on the wing pylons. AH1 Cobras use a three barreled 20mm vulcan cannon and commonly mounted 7.62mm miniguns on the stub pylons during Vietnam. The Cobra and Hind were both common in the era, to say nothing of standard transport helicopters retrofitted with gun mounts.
seawolfs01.jpg
Pic is UH1 transport mounting four M60 7.62mm machine guns and two seven tube 70mm rocket pods.
Unless its an "F" model Hind with the twin barrelled 23mm cannon pack on the right side of the fuselage, which could account for the exploding bodies... Also armed with FOUR S5K 57mm Rocket pods, again, the explody things could be attributed to those as well... and not uncommon depending on what side of the dead sea you're on...

I think it has been said here already that there are at least two weapons firing here... The Cannon which would account for the exploding bodies and a smaller caliber MAchine Gun like the russian PK which could account for the multiple, closely spaced impact points...

Of course, there is another possibility for the heavier weapon... the AGS-17... a Russian belt fed 30mm Grenade Machine Gun similar on design and purpose to our Mk-19 40mm Machine gun...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Atomic

Re: One of Eighteen 2013-03-26

Post by Atomic »

RunningBull wrote:
Mark N wrote: SCREW THE FACEBOOK TROLLS.
Everyone is entitled to expres- ...ah nevermind,
SCREW THE FACEBOOK TROLLS!
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Nobody is obligated to listen, believe, or provide a forum to share those opinions.

Nyah.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

analyst wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Holy crap.
Considering the gut shots, if this is a pun, the pun jar rejects your offering. However, the good-taste jar would like to talk to you. ;)
Now you've done it. :evil:
As if The Pun Jar wasn't bad enough, you've imagined something into being that's even worse for the denizens of this forum.

Commence the wailing and gnashing of teeth...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jabberwonky wrote:
analyst wrote: However, the good-taste jar would like to talk to you. ;)
As if The Pun Jar wasn't bad enough, you've imagined something into being that's even worse for the denizens of this forum.

I wouldn't worry about the Good Taste Jar. It is closely affiliated with the Politically Correct Jar. Both of them suffer from multiple personality syndrome. What either of those stand for changes so quickly according to current public awareness and outcry they become paralyzed with indecision and are unable to act. They are afraid any action they take will offend someone, somewhere so they try of avoid offending everyone and do nothing except whine about it. Just ignore them.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

zachariah wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
analyst wrote: However, the good-taste jar would like to talk to you. ;)

I wouldn't worry about the Good Taste Jar. It is closely affiliated with the Politically Correct Jar. Both of them suffer from multiple personality syndrome. What either of those stand for changes so quickly according to current public awareness and outcry they become paralyzed with indecision and are unable to act. They are afraid any action they take will offend someone, somewhere so they try of avoid offending everyone and do nothing except whine about it. Just ignore them.
"We don't need Tuna with Good Taste, just Tuna that Tastes Good! Sorry Charlie!"
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Thoughtweaver wrote: Make that Strike Plates... I'm not sure they use ceramic anymore... haven't since Vietnam... with Police vests they use steel inserts in a kevlar vest. With the military its mostly been Kevlar, woven into flexible vests and hardened into strike plates that slip into the vests to up the protection of the basic vest. The five or six pound Interceptor vest without strike plates jumped to sixteen to eighteen pounds with the plates inserted.
*Slipping into the daylight of the boards and blinking a bit from the sudden exposure, as it were. ;)*

Long-time lurker and a lover of both the comic and the community here on the boards. :)

Personally, I think this sudden shift to see Kath's past is a wonderfully done piece of storytelling, and I am quite enjoying the ride. I just thought I might finally contribute to the discussion rather than keeping my thoughts to myself. This reminded me of something I saw on the Discovery channel called Future Weapons, and specifically about body armour that was in developement at the time called Dragon Skin involving ceramic and titanium composite disks. It's very interesting to see the results of the host's tests.

I do hope you don't mind my two cents worth. ;)
Your opinion is as valid as anyone else's around here. Welcome aboard.
Jabberwonky wrote: Now you've done it. :evil:

*Shakes fist in overly dramatic fashion* I did NOT intend it as a pun, Blad dammit!

It's effective storytelling Pablo is engaged in. One of the things an artist should try for is to make people feel. When I saw todays update, I felt. I felt for Katherine and the horror she is experiencing here. I can see why it might turn some folks away. Paul is following the adage of good writing. "Show, don't tell". I think to a degree, part of the problem people have with the gore is that it is in the here and now. As bad as the tourture, rape and murder of the girls is, it is in the distant past. Monica was mostly protected and kept somewhat isolated from the worst of supernatural society by Phix and the others. Phix treated her like a child. Witnessing Phix's savagery, and confronting her own true nature along with Phix herself has elevated Monica to "adult" status among her supernatural peers.

And I think we needed to see what happened to Katherine to understand why she is who she is now. I'm not going to say it's for everybody. It's not. And I will say that as M and company get deeper into the supernatural, it's likely to get worse.

In a way Wapsi Square should be viewed as the chronicle of Monica's childhood, adolecense and young adulthood in the supernatural.

When the Golem Girls and Tepoz appeared in her life, Monica was a child.

Dealing with the Calender Machine and it's aftermath was her supernatural adolecense.

Becoming the Jaguar Girl was Monica's entry into young adulthood.

Now we're getting to see Katherine dealing with her past and are watching her transition into someone stronger. We needed to see where she came from in order to see where she is going.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Boxilar wrote: It's effective storytelling Pablo is engaged in. One of the things an artist should try for is to make people feel. When I saw todays update, I felt. I felt for Katherine and the horror she is experiencing here. I can see why it might turn some folks away. Paul is following the adage of good writing. "Show, don't tell". I think to a degree, part of the problem people have with the gore is that it is in the here and now. As bad as the tourture, rape and murder of the girls is, it is in the distant past. Monica was mostly protected and kept somewhat isolated from the worst of supernatural society by Phix and the others. Phix treated her like a child. Witnessing Phix's savagery, and confronting her own true nature along with Phix herself has elevated Monica to "adult" status among her supernatural peers.

And I think we needed to see what happened to Katherine to understand why she is who she is now. I'm not going to say it's for everybody. It's not. And I will say that as M and company get deeper into the supernatural, it's likely to get worse.

In a way Wapsi Square should be viewed as the chronicle of Monica's childhood, adolecense and young adulthood in the supernatural.

When the Golem Girls and Tepoz appeared in her life, Monica was a child.

Dealing with the Calender Machine and it's aftermath was her supernatural adolecense.

Becoming the Jaguar Girl was Monica's entry into young adulthood.

Now we're getting to see Katherine dealing with her past and are watching her transition into someone stronger. We needed to see where she came from in order to see where she is going.
:) Very well said my friend.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Boxilar wrote:Now we're getting to see Katherine dealing with her past and are watching her transition into someone stronger. We needed to see where she came from in order to see where she is going.
True, however, one can illustrate a good story involving sex, and need not graphically draw sex acts, complete with genitalia, penetration and oral, to get the point across. Likewise here, it is not really necessary to show people graphically being blow apart to convey the horrific nature of the event. I have seen artists who have drawn such things and conveyed the emotions and gravity of the situation with only the smallest hint of blood or brutal carnage. I was even more moved than here and, in some cases, almost felt as if I had just witnessed a scene from a movie. And they used the same sort of art as Paul uses. To be honest it just seems lazy and done for the sheer shock of it than for story telling. I know that will not be a popular opinion, but there it is. Flame me at your leisure.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

KnightDelight wrote: Flame me at your leisure.
Not worth the unpleasantness...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

KnightDelight wrote:Flame me at your leisure.
Nah, flamed forumite doesn't taste so good. Slow smoked with mesquite, however... :lol:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

KnightDelight wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Now we're getting to see Katherine dealing with her past and are watching her transition into someone stronger. We needed to see where she came from in order to see where she is going.
True, however, one can illustrate a good story involving sex, and need not graphically draw sex acts, complete with genitalia, penetration and oral, to get the point across. Likewise here, it is not really necessary to show people graphically being blow apart to convey the horrific nature of the event. I have seen artists who have drawn such things and conveyed the emotions and gravity of the situation with only the smallest hint of blood or brutal carnage. I was even more moved than here and, in some cases, almost felt as if I had just witnessed a scene from a movie. And they used the same sort of art as Paul uses. To be honest it just seems lazy and done for the sheer shock of it than for story telling. I know that will not be a popular opinion, but there it is. Flame me at your leisure.
Not going to flame. Your opinion is a valid one, and I see your point. I don't think it's lazy myself, but I agree that it is shocking. And that is the point. When I first opened the image on my phone, I experienced a spike in my heart rate. I had an actual physical reaction to the plight of a fictional character made of ink and pixels. I felt a tiny fraction of the raw terror Katherine is feeling at the moment. Paul pulled me in and made me feel. That's what art should do. But art is also subjective, and I admit that prior to Phix decapitating and eating Meadea, moments like these were more spaced out. I will not say love it or leave it. That's a cop out. I think the story still has a lot to offer. At this juncture, you'll have to decide weather moments like the these are worth putting up with to see the rest of the story unfold. That is a personal choice I will not criticize.
illiad

Post by illiad »

zachariah wrote:They are afraid any action they take will offend someone, somewhere so they try of avoid offending everyone and do nothing except whine about it. Just ignore them.
even worse, in UK, some are so **desperately** trying not to offend cultural/ religious sensibilities that they put in special buildings & resources... :roll: - The people they are targeting cannot see what the fuss is!! they are keen to integrate with the English way, and enjoy the Christmas and Easter festivities... :)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Just remember the Cleese rule (via John Cleese of Monty Python fame):
Some people should be offended. Just because some think the earth is flat doesn't obligate the rest of us to sing 'Across the World in 80 Days.'
The author has made it quite clear this series, however lightly it started out, is an adventure in the eerie and humorous situations that touch on the supernatural. Everybody has a different squick level, and mine's been pushed along the way. That said, there's no substitute for understanding the back story and motivations of the various major players in this tale. And, BTW, this all pales in comparison the to ghoulish blood-and-guts horror house comics of the 50-60s (that I remember as a kid). This is mostly Blink-and-You'll Miss It -- not 6 pages of panels devoted to mutilation.

YMMV. Turn the page.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

KnightDelight wrote:
No flaming here either. While you present a valid point, I tend to disagree with it. Maybe it's because I'm one of those "desensitized" people who is used to a certain measure of graphic depictions of death (yay video games? :P). When Maya killed the guard waaaay back, I giggled at the image. Partly because in grayscale it wasn't as brutal...and also because the slicing of that man's head into thick slices of head-flavored-bologna was just ridiculous and unrealistic. When we saw Phix kill Medea, it had a bit more shock value (thanks in part to Phix showing such violent tendencies), but my reaction was still more of a "OOOOHHHH!!! DAY-UM!!!" than a visceral sense of fear and pity for the character...which can be attributed to the fact that the "person" that was killed was an apo...and that she died by epic-punch-to-the-face, which in the real world still classifies as ridiculous and unrealistic. However, when this sequence with Kat started, my jaw hit the floor and it took me time (on every page we've seen so far) to recover to the point where I could comment in the forums.

If the violence that made Kat the person she is had been depicted with less "blood or brutal carnage," I probably would have had a sympathetic reaction...but it would have been entirely superficial. The way Paul showed her past, I feel more empathy because I have a better understanding of the shock that experience forced on her mind. Just a splash of blood and never seeing how suddenly and awfully her friends were killed doesn't allow for people like me to develop that level of understanding. My understanding of violent death is limited to television, movies, and books, and those media typically portray things unrealistically (for theatrical purposes) which no longer phases me in the slightest...or after the fact where you are seeing the dead and injured (because it's reporting on an incident that already occured) which for someone who used to think that working in an E.R. was her dream just looks like a lot of clean-up work. For me, Paul's "shock" method is the only one that could have produced the strong reaction that I believe he was going for.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
illiad

Post by illiad »

jwhouk wrote: Also: If we're getting this way now, where were y'all back in October of 2005? (Hint: QODY.)
ah!! :) ages ago I was trying to find the ' house inside bud' :D :lol: :lol:
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Julie wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:
No flaming here either. While you present a valid point, I tend to disagree with it. Maybe it's because I'm one of those "desensitized" people who is used to a certain measure of graphic depictions of death (yay video games? :P). When Maya killed the guard waaaay back, I giggled at the image. Partly because in grayscale it wasn't as brutal...and also because the slicing of that man's head into thick slices of head-flavored-bologna was just ridiculous and unrealistic. When we saw Phix kill Medea, it had a bit more shock value (thanks in part to Phix showing such violent tendencies), but my reaction was still more of a "OOOOHHHH!!! DAY-UM!!!" than a visceral sense of fear and pity for the character...which can be attributed to the fact that the "person" that was killed was an apo...and that she died by epic-punch-to-the-face, which in the real world still classifies as ridiculous and unrealistic. However, when this sequence with Kat started, my jaw hit the floor and it took me time (on every page we've seen so far) to recover to the point where I could comment in the forums.

If the violence that made Kat the person she is had been depicted with less "blood or brutal carnage," I probably would have had a sympathetic reaction...but it would have been entirely superficial. The way Paul showed her past, I feel more empathy because I have a better understanding of the shock that experience forced on her mind. Just a splash of blood and never seeing how suddenly and awfully her friends were killed doesn't allow for people like me to develop that level of understanding. My understanding of violent death is limited to television, movies, and books, and those media typically portray things unrealistically (for theatrical purposes) which no longer phases me in the slightest...or after the fact where you are seeing the dead and injured (because it's reporting on an incident that already occured) which for someone who used to think that working in an E.R. was her dream just looks like a lot of clean-up work. For me, Paul's "shock" method is the only one that could have produced the strong reaction that I believe he was going for.
I felt the same way when Shelly found the intensely radioactive vimana cell and died. I felt it again when Monica and Phix played "Face Off"... You can't say we didn't see it coming, but when it happened, I sat there stunned. Paul's art and story is meant to ellicit these reactions from us. That's what makes his comic so good. He doesn't need polished CGI style art... his primitive art style kind of makes it all that much better for me. I dare any of you to say that you don't feel a certain attachment to any of the characters of Wapsi Square. For me, it's strongest with Tina (Tragic to have your inner demons carry on when the real Tina died) and Shelly (double radioactively tragic) and of course Monica (face offs really should be limited to hockey - LOL). In the end... It's Paul's story to tell as he sees fit, and the rest of us... well, we're along for the ride. Me? Wapsi Square has become a steadfast fixture in my daily routine... and after all, isn't that what Paul was after in the first place? *smiles happily and skips off*
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

DilyV wrote:I felt the same way when Shelly found the intensely radioactive vimana cell and died. I felt it again when Monica and Phix played "Face Off"... You can't say we didn't see it coming, but when it happened, I sat there stunned. Paul's art and story is meant to ellicit these reactions from us. That's what makes his comic so good. He doesn't need polished CGI style art... his primitive art style kind of makes it all that much better for me. I dare any of you to say that you don't feel a certain attachment to any of the characters of Wapsi Square. For me, it's strongest with Tina (Tragic to have your inner demons carry on when the real Tina died) and Shelly (double radioactively tragic) and of course Monica (face offs really should be limited to hockey - LOL). In the end... It's Paul's story to tell as he sees fit, and the rest of us... well, we're along for the ride. Me? Wapsi Square has become a steadfast fixture in my daily routine... and after all, isn't that what Paul was after in the first place? *smiles happily and skips off*
Definitely feel attachment to the characters. That's what Paul does best. Also, his retelling of the myths, bringing forth the beings as good "people" and not the demons of lore, is wonderful and refreshing. Unlike most comic artists who use mythical characters, there aren't titanic battles involving good and evil forces every chapter either.

Monica's face off death was shocking, being depicted so graphically, but it wasn't that big a deal because you knew she was coming right back. Jin's death was also expected and not so pitiful because, to me anyway, she had just savagely killed and mutilated someone. Again, to me, there was almost a feeling of "she had it coming" in her death. Live by the sword die by the sword kind of thing. Especially when you sink into such depravity as to revel on the guts of your victim. In fact that probably led to her capture; lingering so long.

For me, Shelly number one's death was the most moving of all. Especially the way Shellinx lingered over the corpse. I could feel Shelly one's terror and overwhelming sense of failure at the moment of realization of her imminent death. This is what I mean when I say it doesn't take blood and guts to move the viewer.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap