Coming This Way 2013-03-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Coming This Way 2013-03-18

Post by DilyV »

notStanley wrote:I like how my assumptions of scale are constantly being overturned. Atsali is pretty casual about changing her size to fit the situation. The updates on perceived size of things like the cubbyhole (before the roof caved in) & wall carving & sinkhole & tunnel as more data is revealed. My poor suburban senses are just not used to objects that large. While a movie style long panning shot would give me time to adjust, that would take just too darn long in this one frame a day format.
I don't know... the crater resulting from the collapse of the structure was pretty freakin huge... as is the carving into the wall of the crater. The Apache would need to be pretty high to see over the lip of that crater and would have been heard for a pretty good distance too with the sound bouncing around inside that crater. As for scale, check out the first long distance look we get of the whole carving... you can see that Kath and Atsali are pretty small in the frame compared to the carving and the crater itself. Crater... as in possibly volcanic in nature?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Akasha wrote:...

Here come the Men in Black
It's the M.I.B.'s, uhh, here come the M.I.B.'s
Here come the Men in Black
They won't let you remember
Nah nah nah
Oh, Lord, those people in grey,
I gotta get back at those people in grey,
Here come the people in grey,
To take me away.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
sheik

Post by sheik »

kingklash wrote:Helicopters named after the Apache and Comanche, missiles called Tomahawks? Somehow, I think that people might have the impression that Native Americans are aggressive.
Including, prior to the White Man's takeover, many other Native Americans.
The Apache, Comanche, and Souix considered anyone else fair game.
Besides, even the less aggressive tribes are honored with helicopter names as well, take the Kiowa, Osage, Cayuse, and Huey for instance.
The big problem was we took on a tribe that was just a little out of our league, the Washington.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

sheik wrote:Besides, even the less aggressive tribes are honored with helicopter names as well, take the Kiowa, Osage, Cayuse, and Huey for instance.
Wait . . .The Hueys were a tribe? They ride trains without credit cards, or what? :o

Are there Hekawi helicopters, and what do they use them for?
Last edited by Typeminer on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

To a fair extent, the popular names of a number of tribes translate as "those evil bastards over there" in the languages of the tribes immediately to their east...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Fairportfan wrote:To a fair extent, the popular names of a number of tribes translate as "those evil bastards over there" in the languages of the tribes immediately to their east...
"Pennsylvania"--Algonquin for "Gateway to Ohio."
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Typeminer wrote:
sheik wrote:Besides, even the less aggressive tribes are honored with helicopter names as well, take the Kiowa, Osage, Cayuse, and Huey for instance.
Wait . . .The Hueys were a tribe? They ride trains without credit cards, or what? :o

Huey was the unofficial name for the UH-1, which initially was called the HU-1... HU = Huey... The official name for the UH-1 was the Iroquois... which IS an indian tribe name.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

DilyV wrote:
Typeminer wrote:

Huey was the unofficial name for the UH-1, which initially was called the HU-1... HU = Huey... The official name for the UH-1 was the Iroquois... which IS an indian tribe name.
Probably used to spot balloons.
If someone really bugs me about what tribes I am, I'll include Hekawi and Poohawk.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

sheik wrote:
kingklash wrote:Helicopters named after the Apache and Comanche, missiles called Tomahawks? Somehow, I think that people might have the impression that Native Americans are aggressive.
Besides, even the less aggressive tribes are honored with helicopter names as well, take the Kiowa, Osage, Cayuse, and Huey for instance.
The big problem was we took on a tribe that was just a little out of our league, the Washington.
So, I'm full-blood Native American, 1/4 each Choctaw, Arapaho, Kiowa, Comanche, and somehow 1/2 helicopter?
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DilyV wrote:
Wyvern wrote:Seen against the daylight sky, most aircraft look black.

I was expecting Atsali to say something unhelpful like, "Uh, it looks like a helicopter." Is she getting less useless?
Indeed... Army Apaches are a very very dark Olive Drab... when Airborne, at any reasonable distaince, they DO look black especially when back lit...
Yes indeed! The avatar pic is from Wings Over Houston airshow a couple years back. This view is actually the underside, aircraft banking to left.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Typeminer wrote:
sheik wrote:Are there Hekawi helicopters, and what do they use them for?
There are Hekawi's, but being plauged by notorious GPS problems, you're never quite sure where they are...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Typeminer wrote: "Pennsylvania"--Algonquin for "Gateway to Ohio."
Thanks, Guy. Never knew that.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

kingklash wrote:So, I'm full-blood Native American, 1/4 each Choctaw, Arapaho, Kiowa, Comanche, and somehow 1/2 helicopter?
Do hats spin when you put one one on your head?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

kingklash wrote:So, I'm full-blood Native American, 1/4 each Choctaw, Arapaho, Kiowa, Comanche, and somehow 1/2 helicopter?
Do you have an unexplained fondness for headgear like this?
Son of Big Chief Beanie.png
Son of Big Chief Beanie.png (53.15 KiB) Viewed 9377 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Do hats spin when you put one one on your head?
Right-wing radio talkshow (now retired) host and dedicated pilot Neal Boortz:
If your wings are moving faster than your fuselage, pray you're in a helicopter.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

S-I-O-U-X. Sioux. Pronounced "soo".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

I hope you're 1/2 helicopter! That would be cool! :) :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

jwhouk wrote:S-I-O-U-X. Sioux. Pronounced "soo".
And all the time I was growing up reading comic book westerns, I thought it was pronounced "Squix". Silly me. Never connected that tribe with the Sooo that kept attacking forts in the movies. Buffalo soldiers were some elite group of scouts in the movies, too. Didn't get the answer to that one until I read a Time-Life book in my fiance's library!

The stuff you don't learn from popular culture...

(Which reminds me of a story...)

Seems a writer of Old West Adventure Stories decided to see what a Real Cowboy thought of his latest work. So, he decamped from his city surroundings and went far, far away to the remote location his friend of a friend of his agent found to see a Real Cowboy, and ask him to read his book. And finally, there he was! An old, grizzled veteran in his 50s, with leathery skin and sinew arms, worn gloves and old boots, just finishing up from a day of branding cattle. He plucked up his courage, straightened his tie, introduced himself and asked if he would read his book.

The the Cowboy read the book.

He read about the stampede, the blizzard, the Indian attack on the fort, the gunfight, the other gunfight, and rescuing poor Nell from the runaway train. The time on the lone prairie, the nights under the stars, grub around the campfire, and shady, if entertaining, women, at the saloon. The poker game. The man with a knife. The hanging (which went very, very wrong). The bank robbery. And so on.

The Cowboy handed back the book.

"So - what'd ya think?"

"They ain't real cowboys."

"Oh? What do you mean."

"They never had to fight off a rattle snake while taking a dump. In the rain."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Do you have an unexplained fondness for headgear like this?
Son of Big Chief Beanie.png
Oh yeah, I'm saving that one.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

kingklash wrote:
sheik wrote:
So, I'm full-blood Native American, 1/4 each Choctaw, Arapaho, Kiowa, Comanche, and somehow 1/2 helicopter?
I once met a Winnebago, a member of the only North American Tribe named after an RV (or so he said).