Big Birds of Prey

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Boxilar

Big Birds of Prey

Post by Boxilar »

I think it interesting that after todays update depicting an awesome avian in full flight, I had a similar encounter this evening. I was leaving karate class with my brother and a friend when my friend called out,

"Guys, look, look, look!"

We turned in time to see a huge bird land in the big bushy spruce tree next to the gym where we work out. Or at least it tried to land. It sank most of the way into the crown of the tree and began flapping and chittering . I think it misjudged the perching potential of the bushy spruce. It sat with its head poking out of the foliage, looking a bit confuzzled. The three of us walked over to see it better. The bird looked at us, we looked at it, then after several minutes it apparently decided to improve its situation and launched from the tree without making a sound. It passed low over us and headed toward the wooded area nearby. Its wingspan was a good five feet wide, and after looking up images on Google, I think it was a Barred Owl. It had completely black eyes and a heart shaped face with dark markings. Our friend commented.

"Man, that thing looked evil. It felt like it was staring into my soul, and it was creepy how quiet it was."

My response was,

"Well, now you know why several cultures thought of them as harbingers of death"

All in all, a pretty cool evening encounter.
BarredOwl-talonsclose.jpg
BarredOwl-talonsclose.jpg (99.45 KiB) Viewed 10412 times
This is pretty close to the owl we saw, maybe a bit lighter in color.
Jabberwonky

Re: Big Birds of Prey

Post by Jabberwonky »

Are Barred Owls allowed in here?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Sure. Barred Owls are a hoot.
Not to be mistaken for Barn Owls, whose manners are like they were raised in...well you know.
Great Horned owls are arrogant because they believe thier own press.
Snowy owls are just cold.
Screech owls are annoying.
Burrowing owls are down to earth, or rather, down in the earth.
Australian masked owls are down under and trying to hide something.

And Space owls are down right violent. They attack goverment agents and drunks when they're not looking.

YOLO (You Obviously Like Owls)

(my apologies to Jeph Jacques)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Then there was the one they called Shakespeare. He was named for the lyrical character of his hoots... they knew he must be a bard owl.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:Then there was the one they called Shakespeare. He was named for the lyrical character of his hoots... they knew he must be a bard owl.
Okay, that owl is barred...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Boxilar wrote:YOLO (You Obviously Like Owls)
How did you know?? :shock:

:) I've been fascinated by owls for more than half my life, and I have quite the collection of art, photos, figurines, candles, packaging, and more to prove it. Unfortunately my husband is not as enamored by these creatures as I am, so the majority of my collection is safely boxed away for later use (or potential yard sales if he has his way). I also get eye-rolls whenever we're out at his mom's house (not quite the in "the country," but right on the edge of it) and I see an owl in the backyard. I tend to be as excitable as a 5 yr old about things like that. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:Then there was the one they called Shakespeare. He was named for the lyrical character of his hoots... they knew he must be a bard owl.
Pay up before it explodes!

Best thing ever was at my 'sisters' wedding at Scarbie. We went and saw the birds of prey show they had, and saw a rennie bard on an ocarina was "talking" to the owls, and having them respond. My son had to have an ocarina after that, so he could learn to talk to animals. Thus far all he does is make squeak noises, but it is still cute.

Growing up, my parents had this in blue hanging at the end of the hall. they used it to soothe us children on bad nights. After learning Mama, No, and Mustang, I learned Owl.
Last edited by DinkyInky on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Julie wrote:
Boxilar wrote:YOLO (You Obviously Like Owls)
How did you know?? :shock:

:) I've been fascinated by owls for more than half my life, and I have quite the collection of art, photos, figurines, candles, packaging, and more to prove it. Unfortunately my husband is not as enamored by these creatures as I am, so the majority of my collection is safely boxed away for later use (or potential yard sales if he has his way). I also get eye-rolls whenever we're out at his mom's house (not quite the in "the country," but right on the edge of it) and I see an owl in the backyard. I tend to be as excitable as a 5 yr old about things like that. :P
This was in town, but when the city fathers laid out Florence, Alabama, they left as much of the original forest standing as possible. My mother's house was built in the 50s, and there are post oaks in her yard that have been estimaded to be at least 200 years old. They only cut down the trees nessesary to put the houses in. Most of the city is like that. We have birds in town that normally only nest in the deep woods. I've heard Barred Owls nearby, I've never seen one up close except in passing before. We have Great Horned and Screech Owls, too.

I'm just glad Dave's Bard Owls aren't native to the area. Can you imagine being awakened at 2AM with an amourous bird bellowing,

"HARK, WHAT LIGHT THROUGH YONDER WINDER BREAKS, WHO,WHO COOKS FOR YA"LL!"

(It would say winder because it would be a Southern Bard Owl.)

Who Cooks For You?
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:
But, owls don't explode. Penguins explode occasionally (but only if in close proximity to the telly).
GreekAthenaOwlCoin.jpg
GreekAthenaOwlCoin.jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
(clink)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
But, owls don't explode. Penguins explode occasionally (but only if in close proximity to the telly).
GreekAthenaOwlCoin.jpg
(clink)
And now I know what inspired the little mechanical owl from Clash of the Titans.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Once upon a time, my family's homestead was in a rather rural area. During a particularly chilly winter, we had a "guest" stay on our 5 acres: A snowy owl. I remember being pretty worried that it would try to fly off with our cat (who still enjoyed a quick trip outside sometimes, despite the cold), but the owl didn't come too close to the house anyway. We'd still see it perched on the roof of the shed sometimes, though. I wish somebody had thought of taking some pictures.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Boxilar wrote:
Dave wrote:But, owls don't explode. Penguins explode occasionally (but only if in close proximity to the telly).
GreekAthenaOwlCoin.jpg
(clink)
And now I know what inspired the little mechanical owl from Clash of the Titans.
You hadn't seen that owl image before? :) It's one of my favorites.

Also, Florence sounds like a cool place. :) I really appreciate towns/cities that appreciate trees.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I somehow missed it. My mom had a Adoubon bird watchers hand book when I was a kid. I couldn't have cared less about the songbirds and waterfowl. I always flipped to the raptors, and I was facinated by the owls. There was something about birds of prey that went silently about their business in the dark of the night when all the other hunters were asleep that appealed to me. Batman only wished he was that cool. I think the Owl that scared me the most (in a good way) was the Great Owl from the movie The Secret of Nhim. He embodied everything that was awe inspiring about owls when I was a kid. The Great Owl was meanacing without trying and was supremely confident in his power. The actual villian of the movie was a pale pretender by comparison. At the time I saw the movie for the first time, I kept hoping until the end that the Owl would make another appearance.

The Great Owl
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Boxilar wrote:. Batman only wished he was that cool. I think the Owl that scared me the most (in a good way) was the Great Owl from the movie The Secret of Nhim. He embodied everything that was awe inspiring about owls when I was a kid. The Great Owl was meanacing without trying and was supremely confident in his power. The actual villian of the movie was a pale pretender by comparison. At the time I saw the movie for the first time, I kept hoping until the end that the Owl would make another appearance.
That might be why the Earth3 evil doppelganger of Batman is Owlman.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Mark N wrote:
Boxilar wrote:. Batman only wished he was that cool. I think the Owl that scared me the most (in a good way) was the Great Owl from the movie The Secret of Nhim. He embodied everything that was awe inspiring about owls when I was a kid. The Great Owl was meanacing without trying and was supremely confident in his power. The actual villian of the movie was a pale pretender by comparison. At the time I saw the movie for the first time, I kept hoping until the end that the Owl would make another appearance.
Common misconception - when Owlman would catch up to a 'perpetrator' they'd invariably shrug in defeat and say 'Awwww, man.'

No, really....*

*no, not really
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I keep seeing the thread title and thinking something dangerous like this

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Mark N wrote:
Not to mention The Watchmen...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BR1LmlQX890/T ... Bbirds.jpg

My son has an Angry Birds book done by National Geographic that shows real life Angry Birds...

They prey on Bad Piggies, does that count?

Sorry, had a scare involving him at too @$&! early o'clock, so all apologies if that was bad...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir