Have A Fish 2013-03-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: Have A Fish 2013-03-11

Post by kingklash »

Aleister Crow wrote:Looking at those falling feathers. Hawk?
DilyV wrote: Atsali was hanging on KAth... below her... when they fell, Atsali would be below her... and very near her. Look at the panel with just the boots and socks... the swoop lines are in a downward motion which means whatever or whoever intercepted her did it at a full on dive. I referenced back to where Nudge jumped through the stained glass window and Phix went into a power dive to save her *squeeeeee!!!* I'm thinking Kath got intercepted in a similar manner. Atsali was below Kath, or at least very near her, with no physical way to gain that much speed before the intercept which leaves someone else as the only alternative.
The swoop lines could be heading bottom to top. I don't know, I stopped predicting and am just trying to hang on for the ride.
Possibly hawk. I'm looking at my brother's old War Dance rig, and the feathers look similar. But the wing shape seems to suggest something more along the lines of a more high altitude raptor, like a condor. Or possibly a North American Mythic, the Thunderbird.
zachariah

Re: Have A Fish 2013-3-11

Post by zachariah »

Jabberwonky wrote:
zachariah wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
What? I missed the immoral porpoise...
No you missed the Staid Lion. It was busy looking at the young gulls.
Oh, the Immoral Porpoise likes to look at the young gulls, too. From below the water line, if you know what I mean. Nudge, nudge, ;) , ;) .
Careful with that nudge. She can get you in all sorts of trouble.I do admire the ones who steal bikini tops, of course it's on porpoise.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

kingklash wrote:[ possibly a North American Mythic, the Thunderbird.
Don't go there. I mean really, Thunderbirds to the rescue? It might fit though. There are enough strings being pulled in this arc.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

zachariah wrote:
kingklash wrote:[ possibly a North American Mythic, the Thunderbird.
Don't go there. I mean really, Thunderbirds to the rescue? It might fit though. There are enough strings being pulled in this arc.
Thunderbirds are GO!

(i'm sorry, it had to be done)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

F. A. B!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Lee M wrote:OK, if there was a webcomic award for Best Deus Ex Machina, this strip would win it hands down. (Totally out of the blue, of course, because having a nomination process would defeat the object of the exercise.)
Not really--because the Deus doesn't just appear to save the day--they are already characters who have undeveloped talents or potentials. And sometimes, as here, they already knew about their ability.
notStanley

Post by notStanley »

mmmm, points against Atsali are we have not seen her that large before, and she has just been complaining about heights in a very non-bird manner.

But the rescuers hair style could be a match? And while we have mostly seen her as a sheltered teenager, there may be adrenaline triggered reserves when she realizes someone is really depending on her.
sheik

Post by sheik »

The possibility remains that Kath herself transformed as well as Atsali, which would explain the loss of both boots and socks.
That being the case, I wonder of Atsali knows what she's holding just now.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

notStanley wrote:mmmm, points against Atsali are we have not seen her that large before, and she has just been complaining about heights in a very non-bird manner.

But the rescuers hair style could be a match? And while we have mostly seen her as a sheltered teenager, there may be adrenaline triggered reserves when she realizes someone is really depending on her.
Well, we know Atsali is a shape shifter, and as you say, the hairstyle matches. Her wingspan is likely just as variable as Phix and Shelly. (Phix has even completly deleted her wings while in full Sphinx form before.) Considering her freakout when she thought Katherine was dead, Katherine's panicked plea could have cut through the littlest siren's normal bird brained thought process. She relised that she was responsible for the situation they are in and that Kath was about to die because of her. Maybe we are seeing the moment when Atsali finaly grows up.
sheik wrote:The possibility remains that Kath herself transformed as well as Atsali, which would explain the loss of both boots and socks.
I can't argue against Kath transforming, but I think that the UGH! from Kath and the loss of socks and boots is from the Gforce from a sudden change in direction. Atsali was below her and Katherine was snatched upwards. Even if Kath transforms, I still think Atsali is the rescuer and posessor of that impressive wing span.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote:That is one hell of a vector change. I hate to think of the G-force Katharine just went through.
looks more like 'comic book physics' at work... :lol: :lol: if her boots were loose fitting they may have come off, but not the socks... but then that isnt funny!!! :D

oh, and G-force as well.. like when your character stops just *past* the edge of the cliff, in mid-air... looks at you, shrugs his shoulders sadly... and THEN starts falling fast.... :) :)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Atomic wrote:F. A. B!
Now, Ive got to play my mp3 of the theme, and march around the house like a marionette.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Besides shifting shape, Atsali has shown an ability to change size too. At first she was taller than Kath, then shorter. I think she can control the size of her wings depending on the circumstances - in the Library, she did not have the space, but in the desert pit she could go all out.
Atsali is a teenager, and her first reaction to almost anything is going to be emotional. But she is also an intelligent being - she just does not always think before she acts, typical of 15-year olds.
I think being in a dangerous fall triggered her shift to bird form, and she grabbed Kath on her way up.
Remember, in story time, Katherine and Atsali have known each other only a few minutes. They met in the Library, then were cascading through an exploding mine, then crashing through ruins - which collapsed - and now they are flying upwards. From their perspective, this has all happened very quickly.
Despite her being a little whacky, I like the little siren. I think this is a fun thread, and Katherine will come out much stronger.
Thanks, Paul!
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

sheik wrote:The possibility remains that Kath herself transformed as well as Atsali, which would explain the loss of both boots and socks.
...or what's holding her.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:
Now, Ive got to play my mp3 of the theme, and march around the house like a marionette.
Did i post the picture of the Thunderbird Two kiddie ride that was in the local mall on this board?

============

Ah, yes.

=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Fairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:
Did i post the picture of the Thunderbird Two kiddie ride that was in the local mall on this board?

============

Ah, yes.

Isn't that odd... we have TB1 in our mall locally...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...and Pablo makes us all look (and feel) foolish.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

jwhouk wrote:...and Pablo makes us all look (and feel) foolish.
But, we'll never know how much He anticipates about our reactions, or how much inspiration He take from us.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote: Did i post the picture of the Thunderbird Two kiddie ride that was in the local mall on this board?
what about the pic of you riding it??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: Did i post the picture of the Thunderbird Two kiddie ride that was in the local mall on this board?
what about the pic of you riding it??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd break it.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Re: Have A Fish 2013-3-11

Post by MerchManDan »

KnightDelight wrote:I can see losing shoes, but boots? Even moreso, what kind of G-force does it take to literally knock your socks off? Of course, boots do tend to pull off your socks as well when you take them off.
It just so happens that MythBusters proved it takes a ludicrous amount of force, but it is indeed possible: I forget the magic numbers, but they used a truck travelling about 60 mph striking a crashtest dummy wearing wool-knit socks. It was pretty awesome. (check the super-slomo at 1:00)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)