Spider Woman 2013-03-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Spider Woman 2013-03-06

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:
sheik wrote:
kingklash wrote:That is a big spider!
It's just my opinion, but despite the hourglass motif and all the pots the real thing reminds me more of a tick.
I hope not. After all this build up to find out that would tick off everyone.
Yeah. That would really suck.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

zachariah wrote:Welcome to the google geology club. We all become instant experts. lol.
The Junior Gynecologists are a fun bunch, too!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:
zachariah wrote:Welcome to the google geology club. We all become instant experts. lol.
The Junior Gynecologists are a fun bunch, too!
We had an infestation of those over on the Misfile board a while ago.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:The Junior Gynecologists are a fun bunch, too!
Or, as Archie Bunker once malapropped, "groinecologists".
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

DilyV wrote: Oh, and Kath? that ledge can't be too stable... I wouldn't dally there for very much longer...
Called it first... Damn, I'm good....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

MerchManDan wrote:The question remains, though: Why would the original builders hide the enormous carving?
Another question is raised: Are there MORE of these pit-structures, scattered around the desert?
Could be at least one more but with a similar carving of the Brown Recluse spider instead. Maybe another whole set of dolls.

The cover-up may have been due to a regime change, and the new master(s) trying to obliterate all traces of the old ways. Perhaps Bia came in and cleaned house, taking over. Could also be an attempt to hide the dolls (from Bia?) by walling them up. Something discovered by Orson Miller. Though Miller said he found them in a small cave, but who knows if he was telling the truth.

Wild ass theory: May be the dolls are actually vimana cells (this may have been mentioned before, I don't recall) and his removing them from their "sacred" place caused a weakening of the world grid in that area. His nightmares may have, likewise, been caused by his proximity to the cells. These cells may not have been shielded as well, resulting in his "personal tragedy" due to the deaths of family members or serious illness on his part. I wonder if the "dolls" actually plugged in to places on the carved spider? Behind the spider there may be a mechanism (put in place by Brandi) powered by them. Brandi may have had the Anasazi fooled into worshiping the "spider goddess" and her familiars (dolls), protecting them and insuring they stayed in place.

Also, Kath says the debris keeps falling deeper into the pit. Does this mean it's essentially "bottomless?" And how would she know the rubble keeps going deeper in the first place?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Julie

Post by Julie »

Opus the Poet wrote:
txmystic wrote:Seriously, you GOTTA try these nachos...
What, now they have nachos in the Confusion Corner? Gimme. I have a long bike ride ahead of me to deliver this GPS to Kat and birdbrain.
Well, some of us live here, so we can make nachos for you. :) Hold your horses and I'll get you your own plate. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Well, some of us live here, so we can make nachos for you. :) Hold your horses and I'll get you your own plate. :P
Nachos with cheese and jalapenos I see all around here. Nachos with beef... I see the recipes online but can't recall ever having seen them served this way myself.

Nachos with horsemeat? That's a new one for me, Julie... is it a local Texas specialty? Or, am I confused and cornered?
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:Well, some of us live here, so we can make nachos for you. :) Hold your horses and I'll get you your own plate. :P
Nachos with cheese and jalapenos I see all around here. Nachos with beef... I see the recipes online but can't recall ever having seen them served this way myself.

Nachos with horsemeat? That's a new one for me, Julie... is it a local Texas specialty? Or, am I confused and cornered?
You're confused and a goober. :P I only hold horses to keep them from charging into my kitchen...not to grind them down for consumption. :)
"Just open your eyes
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

KnightDelight wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:The question remains, though: Why would the original builders hide the enormous carving?
Another question is raised: Are there MORE of these pit-structures, scattered around the desert?
Could be at least one more but with a similar carving of the Brown Recluse spider instead. Maybe another whole set of dolls.

The cover-up may have been due to a regime change, and the new master(s) trying to obliterate all traces of the old ways. Perhaps Bia came in and cleaned house, taking over. Could also be an attempt to hide the dolls (from Bia?) by walling them up. Something discovered by Orson Miller. Though Miller said he found them in a small cave, but who knows if he was telling the truth.

Wild ass theory: May be the dolls are actually vimana cells (this may have been mentioned before, I don't recall) and his removing them from their "sacred" place caused a weakening of the world grid in that area. His nightmares may have, likewise, been caused by his proximity to the cells. These cells may not have been shielded as well, resulting in his "personal tragedy" due to the deaths of family members or serious illness on his part. I wonder if the "dolls" actually plugged in to places on the carved spider? Behind the spider there may be a mechanism (put in place by Brandi) powered by them. Brandi may have had the Anasazi fooled into worshiping the "spider goddess" and her familiars (dolls), protecting them and insuring they stayed in place.

Also, Kath says the debris keeps falling deeper into the pit. Does this mean it's essentially "bottomless?" And how would she know the rubble keeps going deeper in the first place?
There are stories, told to my parents by our Hopi friends, and later reinforced by comments I've come across by National Park Rangers, that from time to time, Tribal authorities and/or the Tourist Boards of New Mexico and Arizona recieve packages containing pottery shards or Kachina dolls. Seems that these artifacts were taken without permission. And bad things happened to the people who took them. The reallllllly bad things happened to their loved ones. The smarter ones discover that they need to return what they took. Depending on the item, they may have to bring them back personally, and submit to the services of a Tribal healer to go through a ceremony for purification/blessing/exorcism/just setting your spirit straight again.
There are even similar stories from Hawaii, when someone take lava rocks from Mt. Pele. You have to get permission, and leave something in return, or you get walloped with bad stuff.
It may be superstitious mumbo-jumbo to the "civilized" world at large, but to quote Futurama, "Mumbo? Maybe. Jumbo? Maybe not!"
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:
sheik wrote:It's just my opinion, but despite the hourglass motif and all the pots the real thing reminds me more of a tick.
I hope not. After all this build up to find out that would tick off everyone.
Yeah. That would really suck.
The pun jar is ticking behind you two . . . it seems really ticked. . . .
illiad

Post by illiad »

Dave wrote:Nachos with horsemeat? That's a new one for me, Julie... is it a local Texas specialty? Or, am I confused and cornered?
to inform the more nervous peeps here.. *quality* horsemeat is sold in most butchers in france, right next to beef, lamb, etc... and there is nothing wrong with it!! The french are VERY particular , so if anything was suspect, the *whole* market would hear the loud argument!

It is mostly the paranoid English, who would not eat snails or squid, unless it is called a fancy name like escargot or calamari !!

If you think that is bad, you need to see ' mechanically separated meat ' ..

but back to what was meant!! :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_your_horses
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

illiad wrote:
Dave wrote:Nachos with horsemeat? That's a new one for me, Julie... is it a local Texas specialty? Or, am I confused and cornered?
to inform the more nervous peeps here.. *quality* horsemeat is sold in most butchers in france, right next to beef, lamb, etc... and there is nothing wrong with it!! The french are VERY particular , so if anything was suspect, the *whole* market would hear the loud argument!
Out here in the Great Plains, we had a bad scandal recently where hundreds of horses were neglected--because (it seems) the fellow had a good heart, and wanted to take care of them, and got in over his head. One of the consequences of the closure of horse slaughter houses in the US. What do you do with a horse you can no longer afford?
illiad

Post by illiad »

gee, bmonk.... :( I dunno what to make of that report... I would think that he would know... but I guess he was just a rider, and did not know 'maintenance' ?? sounds like his own probs getting in the way... I know a bad case of depression can make you not take care of yourself... ?????

I dont know nuthin, being from UK... I guess I am just thinking 'hollywood' but can these horses be let free into the wild (if there is still such a thing..), or are they too 'domesticated' ??
sheik

Post by sheik »

bmonk wrote:
illiad wrote:
Out here in the Great Plains, we had a bad scandal recently where hundreds of horses were neglected--because (it seems) the fellow had a good heart, and wanted to take care of them, and got in over his head. One of the consequences of the closure of horse slaughter houses in the US. What do you do with a horse you can no longer afford?
Once upon a time you could send them to the rendering plant AKA glue factory.
With all the superior glues now on the market do these things even exist anymore?
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

sheik wrote:
bmonk wrote:
illiad wrote:to inform the more nervous peeps here.. *quality* horsemeat is sold in most butchers in france, right next to beef, lamb, etc... and there is nothing wrong with it!! The french are VERY particular , so if anything was suspect, the *whole* market would hear the loud argument!
Once upon a time you could send them to the rendering plant AKA glue factory.
With all the superior glues now on the market do these things even exist anymore?
Not so many. We used to have a (cattle) rendering plant about 30 miles down the road, but that closed some years back. It's harder to get people to work in such nasty jobs. But rendering plants can't use living horses.

And they really can't survive on their own, especially when they are too old to ride anymore. So it is a growing problem.
Julie

Post by Julie »

illiad wrote:

It is mostly the paranoid English, who would not eat snails or squid, unless it is called a fancy name like escargot or calamari !!

I'm sure that any form of animal could be considered quality eating. Goodness knows that I've got friends/family who believe whole-heartedly in the "kill it and eat it" lifestyle...which is why I've had squirrel chili (quite tasty). :) I just prefer not to think of horses as food because I was always raised to think of them as working animals (you don't kill something that is helping you get things done)...and in typical girl fashion, I always wanted my own horse. :) I went to equestrian camps to learn how to ride and care for them and everything. :P Horses aren't for eating 'round these parts.
"Just open your eyes
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

KnightDelight wrote:Also, Kath says the debris keeps falling deeper into the pit. Does this mean it's essentially "bottomless?" And how would she know the rubble keeps going deeper in the first place?
i would say that she knows this because she's still ALIVE!! all that rubble had to go SOMEWHERE and it WASN'T where she was hiding in the alcove/leg carving!, Plus, with all that nice and natural SUNLIGHT being let in via the now open / non-existent ceiling: she can see and hear all the rubble continuing it's downward journey.
As for bottomless? maybe... there are the legends that the Hopi and other Native American tribes DIDN'T walk here from Russia via that "land bridge" way back at the end of the last ice age, but instead they "came from under the earth" and were helped by the "Ant People" (possibly aliens? possibly Library patrons?, only "The Shadow" knows (Aka Pablo))... thus this could be one of those exits/entrances into that realm... Heck, it could even be one of MANY entrances into the "Hollow Earth", you know the ones from the Jules Verne classics... maybe you don't need a volcano or a trek up to the north pole to get in any more...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

illiad wrote:

I have yet to find horse meat in any of the grocers or boucheries I've visited here in France, but here are two related anecdotes:

Shortly after the scandal broke, the cantine at my office was offering Lasagne with bolognese sauce, and there was a note at the station assuring the diners that no horsemeat was used in the sauce (you know, just in case)...several days later, there was another offering of "steak à cheval" (cheval is French for horse!) , which my Finnish colleague and I immediately pointed out to our French friends. Turns out, it is a normal beef steak with a fried egg "riding" on it, à la cheval...sort of a cooked version of tartare.

usually they have English descriptions on the French menu, and I suspect they omitted it in this case just to freak out the expats...
illiad

Post by illiad »

well a quick search says different... Unless it is about as difficult to find a *proper* cafe with *normal* coffee served in a china mug??? (not the expensive one in a paper cup..)
I guess it depends if you will mind non-fashionable furnishings, the much older clientele, and the non- high street location... :)

people are lining up to buy horse meat in france

horsemeat sales up 15%

the 'frozen meals' sector is different though.. If you dont want to pay good money for it, what do you expect???