Feet First 2013-02-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Feet First 2013-02-15

Post by Fairportfan »

Lee M wrote:
Dave wrote:Oh, dear.

It looks as if the cart in which our ladies were just launched upwards, went further and landed harder than we might have expected.

I guess you did use enough dynamite there, Butch... er, I mean Pablo.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
I said that yesterday.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Is it safe to say that they've reached (and passed) the point of no return? :lol:

At the very least, I don't think they'll be going back to the library the way they came... :roll:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

sheik wrote:
zachariah wrote: I just wonder why the tunnel exits where it did. Who was determined enough to dig it into the side of a mountain at that location. Just getting there would be a huge job and the logistics a nightmare. There is no sign of a road or trail leading to it either. Prospectors very, very seldom check out locations like that for tunnels.
The only justification for the tunnel and how it ends is that it was dug for ventilation, and the spoil was dumped somewhere much further downhill.
This could be justified if the mine was particularly deep and/or noxious, with the tunnel acting as a chimney and connected to an overhead duct that runs to the mine face.
At first I thought there couldn't be a justification for such an operation until I remembered my uncle Chad admitted to being part of a high-grading gang on federal land in that part of the country during the Depression.
Very nice point. It would also explain the destruct set up. Once the illegal mining was finished they would have wanted to remove evidence of their act. The Fed took a very dim view of that at any time. So once they had all the high grade out just make the tunnel go poof. They probably would have been near the end of the operation and getting ready to do that and something prevented them from doing it.
Even today you will get in very big trouble mining on federal land without a permit. People still prospect but once they find something it is a job for lawyers to process the paperwork to get the permit. It is possible to pan for gold just about anywhere and they'll ignore it though. I used to carry a pan when I was in the back country and tried it for fun now and then. You can usually find a trace of color just about anywhere. Just not enough to keep looking. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

Fairportfan wrote:
Lee M wrote:
Dave wrote:Oh, dear.

It looks as if the cart in which our ladies were just launched upwards, went further and landed harder than we might have expected.

I guess you did use enough dynamite there, Butch... er, I mean Pablo.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
I said that yesterday.
Well, at least we both have good taste in movies.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:Is it safe to say that they've reached (and passed) the point of no return? :lol:
...and are rapidly approaching apogee, i'd say.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

There is no cliff-hanger for this Friday strip. Oh no - the cliff was left far behind...

:shock:
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Geezer wrote:There is no cliff-hanger for this Friday strip. Oh no - the cliff was left far behind...

:shock:
On the Contrary... The cliff hung out... its Kath and Atsali who went above and beyond... literally!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Wyvern wrote:I hope Katherine brought her celphone; she's deep in Coyote & Roadrunner country.
"We can't stop here!! This is BAT COUNTRY!!"
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)