Getting Outta Here 2013-02-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
KnightDelight

Re: Getting Outta Here 2013-02-12

Post by KnightDelight »

Annnnd ... we know it's serious because a siren just went off.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I mentioned the way that her pants had shifted from being basically pantaloons (tight at the cuffs, loose in the leg) into tight jeans when she shifted.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Fairportfan wrote:I mentioned the way that her pants had shifted from being basically pantaloons (tight at the cuffs, loose in the leg) into tight jeans when she shifted.
She had bird legs, how do you know they weren't spandex both times? (Drumsticks, anyone?)
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:I mentioned the way that her pants had shifted from being basically pantaloons (tight at the cuffs, loose in the leg) into tight jeans when she shifted.
She had bird legs, how do you know they weren't spandex both times? (Drumsticks, anyone?)
Well, they definitely look like jeans in panel two.

Now that you mention it, they could very well have been snug to her drumsticks...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

zachariah wrote:An Orion drive will work with any type of explosive. It will depend on the mass of the object to be moved for the size of the blast. The drive concept is simple but very brute force. It was first proposed in 1947 and did offer a high energy, large lift capacity that exceeded any other method of propulsion at the time. A good example of it's proper use can be found in 'The Shiva Option' by David Weber and Steve White.
but then it shouldn't be properly called an Orion Drive, as that was the code-name for the military project for specifically for one of those... and another example of one is in the book "Footfall" written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle back in '85.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

scantrontb wrote:but then it shouldn't be properly called an Orion Drive, as that was the code-name for the military project for specifically for one of those... and another example of one is in the book "Footfall" written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle back in '85.

Pretty much everyone in the SF writing community then was aware of the Orion drive, but not too many managed to work it into a story. (S.M. Stirling did, and Stephenson; other examples are left to your level of boredom.) But for the test flight check out this video. The unmanned proof-of-concept vehicle was launched with 1kg charges of C4 and it flew successfully. Eventually, as we all know, folks opted for a different space launch technology.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.