Tech question about Forum Physics

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

txmystic

Tech question about Forum Physics

Post by txmystic »

Howdy...er...Bonjour, mes amis (still gotta get used to the French thing...)

Anyhow, I noticed towards the bottom of the main forum page that three registered users were browsing the forum...myself, Dave, and someone named Google [Bot]. Now, I have only a small amount of knowledge on the botnet and how it was used from the dawn of the IRC chat forums from the dark ages of the very early 90s. But why would a Google bot be patrolling our hallowed halls, what is it looking for, and who unleashed it? It is a registered member, so did it somehow defeat the captcha?

Please engage in healthy discussion, I'd like to know more about this subject, and I know there are some serious technophiles out there who know! :-D
Leak

Re: Tech question about Forum Physics

Post by Leak »

That's Google's very own newfangled Hybrid Infiltration Unit...

(Or it could just be ye olde Google webcrawler looking for new pages here to index...)

np: CoLD SToRAGE - Canada (Slipstream Volume 1)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Google uses bots to spider sites to index them.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I've been in here many times with Google[bot] and Bing[bot] as the only other forumites...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Me too. They're a bit creepy, but at least they don't say much or take up any room in Confusion Corner.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

MerchManDan wrote:Me too. They're a bit creepy, but at least they don't say much or take up any room in Confusion Corner.
Well that was my concern, because I keep a stash of gourmet food and drink in the corner...BAD BOT, THAT'S MY POTPIE!!

So I get the indexing thing, but I'm fairly certain they will evolve into creatures capable of trying to contextually snatch marketing data correlated by username and the substance of what we talk about. It's a potential gold mine when you think about it.

Just in case, I think I'll start dithering my username...so look for "txcryptic", "mxmystic", "txblaczyk" and other derivatives, wink wink...:-D
Julie

Post by Julie »

txmystic wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Me too. They're a bit creepy, but at least they don't say much or take up any room in Confusion Corner.
Well that was my concern, because I keep a stash of gourmet food and drink in the corner...BAD BOT, THAT'S MY POTPIE!!

So I get the indexing thing, but I'm fairly certain they will evolve into creatures capable of trying to contextually snatch marketing data correlated by username and the substance of what we talk about. It's a potential gold mine when you think about it.

Just in case, I think I'll start dithering my username...so look for "txcryptic", "mxmystic", "txblaczyk" and other derivatives, wink wink...:-D
Oh you don't need to worry about the Bots touching our foodstuffs and drinks-of-a-fantastic-nature. :) I'm exceptionally protective of such things, and I'd smack any bot that got within 50 feet of our stores of awesomeness so hard that it would wake up in the 1600s...where it would be tried and burned as a witch. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

Julie wrote: Oh you don't need to worry about the Bots touching our foodstuffs and drinks-of-a-fantastic-nature. :) I'm exceptionally protective of such things, and I'd smack any bot that got within 50 feet of our stores of awesomeness so hard that it would wake up in the 1600s...where it would be tried and burned as a witch. :P
Dude, you're like the meta-ninja! ;)

Thanks for having our backs, it looks like this current adventure might keep us in the corner for quite awhile...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Julie wrote: Oh you don't need to worry about the Bots touching our foodstuffs and drinks-of-a-fantastic-nature. :) I'm exceptionally protective of such things, and I'd smack any bot that got within 50 feet of our stores of awesomeness so hard that it would wake up in the 1600s...where it would be tried and burned as a witch. :P
Not to take away from the topic but you do not need to send it to the 1600'S, just take it to Papua New Guinea, They just had one recently. :shock:

:?: (Should I see it as a good thing that this one makes me want to vomit????)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

11:00am Zulu +3, first sighting of Majestic-12 [bot].

Seems legit.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous