If you use MSE anti-virus ... read this.

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

If you use MSE anti-virus ... read this.

Post by Fairportfan »

Microsoft Security Essentials Tanks Another Antivirus Test

Neil J. Rubenking/PCMag.com wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials is free, which is great, but its protection has been getting slammed in antivirus tests in the last few months. The vast majority of antivirus products manage to pass certification with AV-Test; not Microsoft. In November and again in January Microsoft failed certification. The Microsoft product team issued a rebuttal basically stating that the test in question didn't measure their actual real-world protection. However, a new test just released by London-based Dennis Technology Labs puts Microsoft in last place, way behind all of its competition.

Where AV-Test and AV-Comparatives generally include twenty or more products in a test, Dennis Labs has focused on eight vendors in the consumer area: AVG, BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, McAfee, Microsoft, Norton, and Trend Micro. The commercial products all did well enough, some of them very well indeed.

Accuracy Ratings

The Dennis Labs accuracy test aims to measure a product's ability to "block all threats and allow all legitimate applications." Products gain points both for correctly blocking threats and for correctly leaving legitimate software alone; they also lose points for blocking legitimate software and for failing to identify malware. The best possible score is 400 points; the worst, -1000 points. With 388.5 points Norton Internet Security (2013) came close to the maximum. All the rest earned at least 300 points, except Microsoft, which took a paltry 30 points.

Some products lost significantly due to false positives. Trend Micro in particular would have had a noticeably higher score were it not for these deductions. Not Microsoft. It earned that low score strictly due to poor detection of threats, with no deduction for false positives.

Overall Protection

Dennis Labs researchers also rated each product on its ability to resist real-world malware attacks. A detailed point system "gives credit to products that deny malware any opportunity to tamper with the system and penalizes heavily those that fail to prevent an infection." The best protection, completely defending the system against attack, is worth three points. Letting the malware launch initially but then cleaning all hazardous traces is worth two points. Finally, if the security software managed to terminate a running malicious process without actually cleaning up traces, that gets one point.

As for the heavy penalties, those kick in when the malware totally gets past all defenses, or if the system is damaged after the security product's response. Every such failure reduces the overall score by five points. With 100 samples tested, the best possible score is 300, the worst, -500.

Norton topped this list too, with 289 points, and all the rest earned at least 200 point. All but Microsoft, that is. In a rare sub-zero score, Microsoft took -70 points.

Dennis Labs also released a report on five Enterprise-level security products and five SMB products. Tested in the Enterprise group, Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection fared even worse than the free consumer antivirus, with negative scores in both accuracy and protection.

McAfee displayed the second-lowest score in both of the consumer-side tests, but McAfee technology fared much worse in the other two tests. McAfee "VirusScan, HIPs and SiteAdvisor" earned very low scores in the Enterprise group, and McAfee Security-as-a-Service actually came in below zero for accuracy in the SMB test.

Conclusions

Simon Edwards, Technical Director of Dennis Technology Labs, observed "It’s interesting to see how badly Microsoft does in the consumer and enterprise tests, particularly when noting that its products also fared poorly in the last AV-Test report. As you no doubt know Microsoft was dismissive of that test but my view is that if lots of different tests, from competing test houses that use different methodologies/approaches, reach similar conclusions then those conclusions start to be appear increasingly convincing."

I have to agree. In my own hands-on testing, Microsoft Security Essentials has never performed well. At the other end, Norton Internet Security is both a PCMag Editors' Choice and the only product to receive the top AAA rating in the Dennis Labs test. Kaspersky and ESET, both of which took AA ratings, also do well in my tests.

A post on Sophos's NakedSecurity blog praised the Dennis Technology Labs test, noting that "Conducting these types of tests is not easy or even straight-forward, but Dennis Technology showed that it is indeed possible." It seems to me that Microsoft should look at what the top-rated vendors are doing and try doing the same. Sure, it's good to emphasize "customer-focused processes," but it's even better to do that and pass the lab tests.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Re: If you use MSE anti-virus ... read this.

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dissapointed to not see Avast in the comparison. It's been quite a while since I've seen numbers but I remember it scoring fairly well and I love the options it has like boot time scan. Best of all, the basic version which already has a lot if features is free.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Wait... people actually rely on MSE? Yeesh.

Of course, running a Linux distro... I mostly don't have to worry about it.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Wait... people actually rely on MSE? Yeesh.
Check the reader comments at theoriginal post.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I use Avast and Trend Micro.

I guess that is why MicroShaft has been calling lately, to "reassure" folks that they can safely use their crap, which would be fine if their techs actually listened to users.

"I am here to tell you how to keep it safe."

"This doesn't apply to me."

"It applies to all Windows users. When you watch things on the internet, download things-"

"Not to me."

"What makes you special?"

"Simple. My Windows PC does not go on the internet except for updates." I do most of my watching of videos and such on my Penguin machine-"

"It is vulnerable, and let me tell you how to-"

"Penguin is Linux, so Windows has nothing to do with it."

"But..."

"Have a nice day." *click*

They tried to talk to me seven times after that. Why the hockey sticks could they not give me that kind of CS when I actually needed it? Instead of telling me I needed to upgrade my OS or buy a new copy of whatever OS I used on a machine that was defective in a week? *head desk*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

DinkyInky wrote:I use Avast and Trend Micro.

I guess that is why MicroShaft has been calling lately, to "reassure" folks that they can safely use their crap, which would be fine if their techs actually listened to users.

"I am here to tell you how to keep it safe."

"This doesn't apply to me."

"It applies to all Windows users. When you watch things on the internet, download things-"

"Not to me."

"What makes you special?"

"Simple. My Windows PC does not go on the internet except for updates." I do most of my watching of videos and such on my Penguin machine-"

"It is vulnerable, and let me tell you how to-"

"Penguin is Linux, so Windows has nothing to do with it."

"But..."

"Have a nice day." *click*

They tried to talk to me seven times after that. Why the hockey sticks could they not give me that kind of CS when I actually needed it? Instead of telling me I needed to upgrade my OS or buy a new copy of whatever OS I used on a machine that was defective in a week? *head desk*
You see... I'd suspect it was a phishing scam, involving asking for the password to 'remotely update your system' or some such nonsense... only the lack of competence, listening comprehension, and intelligence is spot-on for Microsoft employees, so I can only assume it was some kind of targeted marketing scheme, trying to get you to upgrade to an even worse OS and pay for the 'privilege'.

Really, the moment you said 'linux', they should have just hung up on you right there, because any chance they had of you listening to them was completely gone at that point.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:I use Avast and Trend Micro.

That, my friend, was a phishing scam.

MS does not cold-call:
Microsoft Safety & Security Center wrote:Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer

In this scam cybercriminals call you and claim to be from Microsoft Tech Support. They offer to help solve your computer problems. Once the crooks have gained your trust, they attempt to steal from you and damage your computer with malicious software including viruses and spyware.

Although law enforcement can trace phone numbers, perpetrators often use pay phones, disposable cellular phones, or stolen cellular phone numbers. It's better to avoid being conned rather than try to repair the damage afterwards.

Treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism. Do not provide any personal information.

If you receive an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft Tech Support, hang up. We do not make these kinds of calls.
You are lucky they annoyed you enough that there was no chance you'd go along.

============================

Which reminds me:

My first wife almost certainly avoided an attack by a serial rapist by mere chance:

There was a serial rapist working the area we lived in (the "Buford Highway Rapist"). His MO was to gain entrance to apartments along Buford Highway in the Atlanta area (several miles of Buford Highway are basically nothing but apartments and restaurants) by claiming to be a maintenance worker for your apartment complex.

Susan was home alone. The guy came to the front door, which opened into an entrance hallway, and announced that he was with maintenance and they were looking for a plumbing leak, and asked to come in.

(I forget if Susan hadn't heard about the guy at this point - i know i had, since i immediately thought of him when she told me, later - or if it had slipped her mind.)

She looked out the peephole in the door, saw the guy, and asked what he wanted. He did the spiel, and she explained that we didn't use that door (we didn't, it was very inconveniently located with relation to the parking area), and that she couldn't open it (she couldn't - we had several crates of records standing in front of it), and told him to come 'round to the back door.

The back door was not conveniently out of sight, and, in fact, faced directly across the width of a driveway toward another complex, where there were kids outside playing on the lawn in plain view.

For some reason, he never showed up there.

Later, when she told me about it, and i told her what it sounded like had happened, we made it a rule that, if someone we didn't recognise turned up claiming to be with maintenance, the first thing we'd say was "Let me call the manager's office to make sure it's okay."
=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

They have gotten better at pretending to be MS employees, as they gave ID, which I forwarded to MS corporate...just to be safe.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir