2013-02-03 LOST DOLLS

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

2013-02-03 LOST DOLLS

Post by DilyV »

Does anyone else think this is an amazing piece? It is the best Kath has looked in the whole Comic!!! Okay, the spiders kinda get to me, but the design of the piece is just spot on!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
NOTDilbert

Re: 2013-02-03 LOST DOLLS

Post by NOTDilbert »

She's been getting more sun since she became less 'reclusive' - I always pictured her as rather pale ('ghostly', she had been called in the past) - nice tan, especially for midwinter. She'll get a chance to work on it some more down south of Big Bend.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

Boy she looks cute, and loxosceles reclusa do not usually eat their mates!! I do wonder what the mythic spider connected to Katherine will turn out to be :)
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

NOTDilbert wrote:She's been getting more sun since she became less 'reclusive' - I always pictured her as rather pale ('ghostly', she had been called in the past) - nice tan, especially for midwinter. She'll get a chance to work on it some more down south of Big Bend.
Everybody imagines Katherine as deathly pale; it's natural, given the usual Wapsi Square art style and Katherine's ghostlike appearance. But she's actually got some healthy color - we just forget that.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

If the dolls in the background are any hint, I'm not sure these are the same dolls we've seen before.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

davids4250 wrote:If the dolls in the background are any hint, I'm not sure these are the same dolls we've seen before.
As I said on another thread, this is strong evidence against them being of the same batch as the Lanthian tchotchkes that showed up at the climax of the Calendar Machine arc. We saw those; these are different. They also don't look like Tepoz or the Golem Girls in their inanimate forms. These seem to be entirely new.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Whaaaaaaaaa??????? Sunday update??? :D :D

and yeah... :p does Spielberg know?? LOLOLOL :)
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

GRAAGH!!! VIOLIN SPIDER!!! KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLITKILLIT!!!

*much thumping and stomping around ensues*

pantpantpantpantpantpant

...I sry, but I bloody-well loathe brown recluses - they're endemic around here most years, they refuse to STAY THE HELL OUTSIDE, and they HIDE IN THINGS I PICK UP AND SCARE THE STUFFING OUT OF ME...

ergh. *squicks at picture*
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Cue the Raiders March!

Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Usually drawn spiders don't bother me... but he really got those spindly legs down pat... I really got the heebie jeebies looking at this one... (doesn't play well wif spiders!) I love it though... Loxosceles Reclusa describes Kath to a "T"... Brown coloring, spidery eyes, and a tad bit reclusive before really engaging in research with Monica.

I hated the desert in Kuwait and Iraq... the Camel spiders were horrific and some were bigger than most guys hands. It's funny though... camel "spiders" are Solifugae... almost a cross between a scorpion and a spider, though they do not have the tail like a scorpion does.... According to references Solifugae are not spiders, which are from a different order, Araneae, though like scorpions and harvestmen, they belong to a distinct arachnid order.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I'm sure that spiders will be relevant. Or at least, one spider: http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Sp-Tl/Spider-Woman.html
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Aleister Crow wrote:I'm sure that spiders will be relevant. Or at least, one spider: http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Sp-Tl/Spider-Woman.html
Interesting thought.

Godmother's Web, the third of Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's Godmother books, is about an apparently slightly daffy old Indian woman on the Rez who brings several characters (some Navajo, some Hopi, and one white girl) together and sort-of solves their problems in unexpected ways.

It's well worth reading, as is the the first, The Godmother; the second is Godmother's Apprentice, which you may safely ignore, but you really ought read the first and third.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Top. Women.

Well, it bears repeating...
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

As it happens, I viewed this update just before bed last night; guess what I dreamed of? Sadly, not Kath. Here's the story, if anyone's interested:
I was emptying a kitchen sink in preparation of washing the MANY dirty dishes within; when I got to the bottom, I found the drain had been colonized by a nest of spiders. My startled reaction in turn startled them, so they panicked and scattered - except one, which jumped on the drain stopper I was holding & proceeded to climb my arm. It was the biggest spider I'd ever encountered; kind of looked like the Arachnids from Starship Troopers, but about as big as my thumb & without the enormous jaws (not much comfort). So I'm waving my arm around, trying to shake off this thing, but it stubbornly clings to me. No matter how hard I try, though, I can't even move my other arm to brush off the monster - which makes me panic even more. I finally wake up just as it gets to my elbow.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:As it happens, I viewed this update just before bed last night; guess what I dreamed of? Sadly, not Kath. Here's the story, if anyone's interested:
So, did you awaken as a human, as a sphinx, or as Something Else?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Human, like usual. Though I was lying on top of my left arm, which could explain why I wasn't able to move it in the dream.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Whelp, unless Paul is throwing out a red herring the size of a humpback whale, my pet theory that Katherine has marine ancestry in her background just went down in flames. (She's Breaking Up, She's breaking up...) She appears to be a decendant of Anansi or a similar spider oriented supernatual now. I'm still looking forward to her journey of discovery, though.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Teeth have gotten better too.

I think they've just been Pablo's way of expressing "awkward smile."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Boxilar wrote:Whelp, unless Paul is throwing out a red herring the size of a humpback whale, my pet theory that Katherine has marine ancestry in her background just went down in flames. (She's Breaking Up, She's breaking up...) She appears to be a decendant of Anansi or a similar spider oriented supernatual now. I'm still looking forward to her journey of discovery, though.
Oh, I suppose it's not impossible for pycnogonids to have played a part in her ancestral games ;)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I just realized I recognized 2 of the "dolls" shown in the picture, the two closest to Katherine on our left (her right). The one with the bees is Bee Woman (rough translation, also called Honey woman) and the next one over is (one of many) variation on the Hopi Eagle Woman doll. Have you ever had that gnawing at you (I know this, what is it and where do I know it from)?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.