Another Holiday 2016-11-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jeffepp

Re: Another Holiday 2016-11-21

Post by jeffepp »

As I was going to the forum, I noted a video ad loading below the forum link. Every now and then, the advert controls slip a bit, it seems. It's usually a good idea to let the site owners know, so they can kick the right people into gear.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

jeffepp wrote:As I was going to the forum, I noted a video ad loading below the forum link. Every now and then, the advert controls slip a bit, it seems. It's usually a good idea to let the site owners know, so they can kick the right people into gear.
Autoplay video ads are becoming a plague on the internet more and more lately. Trying to browse on your phone is problematic if you're trying to listen to podcasts and having it get interrupted every time one of those ads starts playing.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I actually have to use ad blockers (Adblock Plus and Ghostery on PC, WeBlock on iOS) for security and data purposes. Sometimes ads will make pop ups and redirects that take me to shady sites... And when I'm on mobile data, I tend not to do much surfing on my phone - what I do is make my phone a personal hotspot and do any surfing on my iPad - thus allowing me to use WeBlock on mobile data - thus blocking ads, and cutting down on data use.

I occasionally run through my list of webcomics without Adblock plus on with my laptop and click any ad that even mildly interests me to help support the site... But I also set a system restore point before I do so.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I've been installing NoScript in just about every Firefox installation I get my hands on, both for Blocking in General but also in the current situation I only have access to the Internet on a Hotspot that has a DATA Quota.

Going over, even by just a kilo-byte of data, charges an additional $50 'you’re in the next tier!' rabbit punch to the ribs and solar plexus that is most unwelcome.

(There is manna on the Horizon, but it's predicated on 1st establishing some other infrastructure first... OR getting Interwebz from places like Starbucks and/or the Library system...)

Still, I often take the governor off and pour forth additional advert commerce, just because...
illiad

Post by illiad »

Drakkenmensch wrote:
jeffepp wrote:As I was going to the forum, I noted a video ad loading below the forum link. Every now and then, the advert controls slip a bit, it seems. It's usually a good idea to let the site owners know, so they can kick the right people into gear.
Autoplay video ads are becoming a plague on the internet more and more lately. Trying to browse on your phone is problematic if you're trying to listen to podcasts and having it get interrupted every time one of those ads starts playing.
far better to get a very cheap laptop, that you can control properly.... and just use your phone for net hotspot.... :)
and tame animated gifs with this!!)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ated-gifs/
Last edited by illiad on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

illiad wrote:
Drakkenmensch wrote:
far better to get a very cheap laptop, that you can control properly.... and just use your phone for net hotspot.... :)
Except you'll be directed to desktop websites, which, due to formatting and whatnot, often tend to use more data.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
illiad

Post by illiad »

Except you'll be directed to desktop websites, which, due to formatting and whatnot, often tend to use more data.

or get out and use a fiends pc or even a net cafe!!! :roll: