SABOTAGE!!!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: SABOTAGE!!!

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, he needs a Cheeseburger and a Piece of Pie too!...

I had a very good chance, intuitive as I am, that yer stuff was still there, somewhere.

Now that you’ve 'Seen the Elephant', so to speak, you should review the Back Up Your Data, Now options found in this thread.

and Bob's yer Uncle...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Something I completely forgot about... My other hard drive has my music, which all got deleted while I had WMP open. So maybe I don't have to spend hours ripping a few dozen CDs to it.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

TazManiac wrote:and Bob's yer Uncle...
As I was reading this, this came up on my playlist.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:Yeeeeee..... HAH!

Wonderful news, Greg! Buy that man a $BEVERAGE_OF_CHOICE!
And then get yourself some good backup software and an external drive!
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

GlytchMeister wrote:Ok, on my laptop (before it misplaced a dll file and borked itself... I still haven't gotten around to fixing it) i murdered cortana, killed the telemetry with registry edits, and also permanently shut down the useless Windows Security Essentials or whatever.

Are y'all saying there's more I need to kill?
Much more, unfortunately. And not all of it comes with options out of the box. Check out Spybot's Anti-Beacon (not to be confused with anti-bacon, of course), which will assist greatly in reducing the amount of spying your computer does on you. It is a must-install on anyone who got screwed by the Win10 update.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Ok, on my laptop (before it misplaced a dll file and borked itself... I still haven't gotten around to fixing it) i murdered cortana, killed the telemetry with registry edits, and also permanently shut down the useless Windows Security Essentials or whatever.

Are y'all saying there's more I need to kill?
Much more, unfortunately. And not all of it comes with options out of the box. Check out Spybot's Anti-Beacon (not to be confused with anti-bacon, of course), which will assist greatly in reducing the amount of spying your computer does on you. It is a must-install on anyone who got screwed by the Win10 update.
I went to W10 as a last-ditch effort to get my wifi adapter working again. It worked, but Windows keeps making me regret it a little bit more every week.

I'm gonna have to dig through my laptop again and murder half of the OS just to get it to behave, aren't I? Ugh.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Oh, by the way, for those of you not taking the Win 10 plunge but still getting the nags, try this:
Worked nicely for me. Killed the KB and such and haven't seen it since. Good luck!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Since tge free upgrade program ends soon, that'll be gojng away on its own.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Since tge free upgrade program ends soon, that'll be gojng away on its own.
Unless, of course, they decide to keep aggressively pushing the update, "assuming consent" if you don't click "No way" five times while standing on your head and whistling "Dixie", and using some obscure clause in their EULA to allow them to auto-debit the upgrade fee from your bank account using the access credentials for your online banking system that were on one of your Windows PCs.

But surely, they are too public-spirited, and too respectful of their customers, to ever do anything like that.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...this is why I don't want them raising a young A.I. ... :?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Since tge free upgrade program ends soon, that'll be gojng away on its own.
Unless, of course, they decide to keep aggressively pushing the update, "assuming consent" if you don't click "No way" five times while standing on your head and whistling "Dixie", and using some obscure clause in their EULA to allow them to auto-debit the upgrade fee from your bank account using the access credentials for your online banking system that were on one of your Windows PCs.

But surely, they are too public-spirited, and too respectful of their customers, to ever do anything like that.
Actually, i ran across an article (which i only zkimmed and don't remember all that well - at either ZDNet or PCMag.com) talking about how they're scaling back the push once the upgrade is no longer free.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Dave wrote:

Actually, i ran across an article (which i only zkimmed and don't remember all that well - at either ZDNet or PCMag.com) talking about how they're scaling back the push once the upgrade is no longer free.
And by this, they mean that they aren't giving up, they're just going to de-reg you until you pony up for the upgrade.

'Scaling Back' does not mean stopping. In fact, it explicitly means NOT stopping. Which is both disingenuous and shady at best.

It says something for the company branding that they are having trouble literally giving away for free their latest product...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah. (this reply better belongs to the Win Ten thread...) I've a laptop that came with Win 8.x. I promptly installed Ubuntu Studio 14.04 in a Dual Boot configuration, but some time later (you know? I never even investigated warranty for) the Hard Drive started developing error- so I got a bigger one.

But I never reinstall a Windows OS on at least a portion of it, and I'm still thinking of archiving all this 'stuff' I have on the new HD, reinstall Windows, update it to Ten, reinstall Ubuntu (I'm up to 16.04 now) and promptly forget it's there- unless I'm doing patches & updates...

(But it'll seem like I'm just wasting precious hard drive space, for a chance I might find Win10 useful, maybe, somehow, in a way, eventually, perhaps, kind'a sort'a...)