Out Of Control 2016-05-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Out Of Control 2016-05-11

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Re: Out Of Control 2016-05-11

Post by Opus the Poet »

So, Atsali and Nadette are juniors now right?
And it's a good thing I checked first before posting another thread...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Opus the Poet wrote:So, Atsali and Nadette are juniors now right?
And it's a good thing I checked first before posting another thread...
I think so. If memory serves, Atsali is 17 as of the last time skip.

Which reminds me, are Devyn or Abby ever going to hit one last growth spurt? Or are they doomed to be 5'1"-ish forever?

For the record, Starfire was around 5'5", 5'6" at age 15 and 16 in the Teen Titans series, but she tops out at 6'4" at 18 or 19 in the comics. So them making it to around 5'5" may still be possible.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

There's a finer line than most would think between making out and agressive violence. :mrgreen:
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Just out of curiosity, is Ellen Vonn's name intended to invoke a connection to the famous Okympic skier? And just what sort of Para is she?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

cmdrpowers wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Ellen Vonn's name intended to invoke a connection to the famous Okympic skier? And just what sort of Para is she?
A snowbird?

</rimshot>
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

These comments reveal an interesting dimension to Nadette / Atsali's relationship.
cmdrpowers wrote:Just out of curiosity, is Ellen Vonn's name intended to invoke a connection to the famous Okympic skier? And just what sort of Para is she?
Quite possibly. And if I'm reading Devyn's comment correct, Ellen is a very aggressive bevie. This would make sense: In facing off against and competing with aggressive predats, you'd want to be more aggressive and try to intimidate them. And birds can be VERY aggressive in such things as protecting their nest.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

eee wrote:These comments reveal an interesting dimension to Nadette / Atsali's relationship.
Quite possibly. And if I'm reading Devyn's comment correct, Ellen is a very aggressive bevie. This would make sense: In facing off against and competing with aggressive predats, you'd want to be more aggressive and try to intimidate them. And birds can be VERY aggressive in such things as protecting their nest.
The way I read it, Devyn is implying that it's common for bevies, like Nadette, to create and/or believe tales of predators having a reputation of some sort, making them out to be more dangerous/quick to anger/whatever than they actually are (inciting bevies to use a better-safe-than-sorry attitude when approaching such predators). I'm pretty sure that Ellen is a predator, not a bevie. I could be wrong, of course (that wouldn't be the first time...), but that's how I read it.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I think that as an ursamorph, Nadette is in-between . . .

Also, not all herbivores are nonaggressive. Witness the Cape buffalo . . .

Ellen, though, is pretty aggressive . . . I'd guess she's a aggressive predator of some kind . . . an active hunter, rather than an ambush or lure predator.

"Hormonal dingdong" . . . that's redundant, they're teenagers.

--FreeFlier
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Abby's expression is pure gold....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DilyV wrote:Abby's expression is pure gold....
I'm not actually heeerrrre.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
illiad

Post by illiad »

FreeFlier wrote: "Hormonal dingdong" . . . that's redundant, they're teenagers.

--FreeFlier
Dunno what you mean by that ??? dining dong is 'rapid exchange / fool / bell sound'..
and being teens, they are *rampant* with hormones, and the excitement that causes... unless you meant to say. 'thats obvious'... :P cannot listen to 'serious'.... :D
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:
FreeFlier wrote: "Hormonal dingdong" . . . that's redundant, they're teenagers.

--FreeFlier
Dunno what you mean by that ??? dining dong is 'rapid exchange / fool / bell sound'..
and being teens, they are *rampant* with hormones, and the excitement that causes... unless you meant to say. 'thats obvious'... :P cannot listen to 'serious'.... :D
Dining dong? Never heard of that...

A dingdong (or ding-dong)is "A silly or foolish person."
Hormonal: "Of or relating to or caused by hormones; " (0r, by extension, "full of hormones", or "whose hormones dictate the behavior")

So yeah, "Hormonal dingdong" is a very apt description of a teenager, and therefore a bit of a redundancy, in this case. Essentially, it's as if Nadette were saying: "You teenagers are such teenagers!" :lol:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Exactly!

--FreeFlier
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote: . . . So yeah, "Hormonal dingdong" is a very apt description of a teenager, and therefore a bit of a redundancy, in this case. Essentially, it's as if Nadette were saying: "You teenagers are such teenagers!" :lol:
Which is especially amusing in view of who it was singing about boobs and math a bit ago . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

--FreeFlier
illiad

Post by illiad »

well i have not seen that use of 'redundant' :P .... To me it means 'not needed' or useless - The meaning 'spare or backup' would only be used in engineering...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

You're saying the same thing twice . . . that's not needed or useless.

--FreeFlier
illiad

Post by illiad »

FreeFlier wrote:You're saying the same thing twice . . . that's not needed or useless.

--FreeFlier
If you mean 'hormonal dingdong' you are mistaken... next you will say 'stupid kids' is redundant... :P
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:The meaning 'spare or backup' would only be used in engineering...
Ah, but "Redundant" can also be defined this way:
redundant. (n.d.) WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. (2003-2008). Retrieved May 14 2016 from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/redundant wrote:2. redundant - repetition of same sense in different words; "`a true fact' and `a free gift' are pleonastic expressions"; "the phrase `a beginner who has just started' is tautological"; "at the risk of being redundant I return to my original proposition"- J.B.Conant
As well as:
This post was brought to you by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy. :mrgreen:
illiad

Post by illiad »

lake_wrangler wrote:
illiad wrote:The meaning 'spare or backup' would only be used in engineering...
Ah, but "Redundant" can also be defined this way:
redundant. (n.d.) WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. (2003-2008). Retrieved May 14 2016 from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/redundant wrote:2. redundant - repetition of same sense in different words; "`a true fact' and `a free gift' are pleonastic expressions"; "the phrase `a beginner who has just started' is tautological"; "at the risk of being redundant I return to my original proposition"- J.B.Conant
As well as:
This post was brought to you by the Redundancy Department of Redundancy. :mrgreen:
urrrggghhh.... So, is this some 'Americanism (USAism?)' like why you call a Toilet a 'restroom' ???
Have a few diagrams!!
(I cannot find "stupid kids are a subset of all kids", but this diagram may fit...:)
Stupid-Evil-Crazy2.jpg
Stupid-Evil-Crazy2.jpg (39.27 KiB) Viewed 9780 times
hormonal venn diagram2.jpg
hormonal venn diagram2.jpg (11.42 KiB) Viewed 9785 times